Yojimbo

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential video
This semi-comic 1961 film by legendary director Akira Kurosawa (Rashomon, Ran) was inspired by the American Western genre. Kurosawa mainstay Toshirô Mifune (The Seven Samurai) plays a drifting samurai for hire who plays both ends against the middle with two warring factions, surviving on his wits and his ability to outrun his own bad luck. Eventually the samurai seeks to eliminate both sides for his own gain and to define his own sense of honor. Yojimbo is striking for its unorthodox treatment of violence and morality, reserving judgment on the actions of its main character and instead presenting an entertaining tale with humor and much visual excitement. One of the inspirations for the "spaghetti Westerns" of director Sergio Leone and later surfacing as a remake as Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis, this film offers insight into a director who influenced American films even as he was influenced by them. --Robert Lane

I recently watched this. What a fantastic movie. I'll have to think about it for a while, but I think I liked this one more than The Seven Samurai. It has been a while since I watched Sever Samurai though, so perhaps I should give it a rewatch. However Rashomon still remains my favorite Kurosawa film (not that I've see many of them).

I haven't see Last Man Standing, but from the looks of it on IMDB it doesn't look like it was very good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great movie. It isn't even close to being his best movie either.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I liked Kurosawa more, but I don't really care for his work.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seven Samurai is like 3.5 hours long. I don't think Yojimbo is even 2 hours long, so it's easier to digest for those of us not accustomed to theater and intermissions.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seven Samurai is like 3.5 hours long. I don't think Yojimbo is even 2 hours long, so it's easier to digest for those of us not accustomed to theater and intermissions.

Seven Samurai is definitely better. I also liked Sanjuro, Ran, Ikiru, and Hidden Fortress better too.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seven Samurai is definitely better. I also liked Sanjuro, Ran, Ikiru, and Hidden Fortress better too.

I first saw Seven Samurai at a film festival in Austin, Texas. I would not have had the gallon jug of cola if I had known it was so long. Later rented it on VHS. Two tapes. Watched it over two very enjoyable nights.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ran has always been my favorite. A samurai King Lear. Absolutely beautiful film.

When I first watched Last Man Standing, I thought it was crap. I saw it again recently, and its actually kind of fun. Over the top, noirish in dialogue and rip roarin violent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I first saw Seven Samurai at a film festival in Austin, Texas. I would not have had the gallon jug of cola if I had known it was so long. Later rented it on VHS. Two tapes. Watched it over two very enjoyable nights.

Best movie ever made, IMO. Saw it in a theater twice in the past, and a bunch of times on video/DVD.

Yojimbo is still really good, but there are a few movies that he did that were better, which is amazing in itself.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson