X-Men: Apocalypse

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the sacrifice they make of other characters in order to expand hers is a mistake and a problem in the new movies. And as I said, when she is in the blue paint, she is pretty awful. Rebecca Romaijn was better in that part of the role. Plus, there's something to be said for having a henchman that is mysterious and weird.

Yeah but I heard people say the same think about Wolverine. RR was nothing more than eye candy. That was it. She was never given anything to do in the previous films aside from bashing a few heads. What you call "mysterious"...I call shallow and one dimensional. So, I can't even evaluate how her character would have been had they given her more to do other than bash people while in the blue skin. I would have loved to see it. Not complaining though...she was uber hot in that makeup. :D

I love the fact I get to see what made her latter self get to the place she was at depicted later in that timeline. If you read the comics you know there was much more to that character verses what they have put on film. In the comics she is anything but one dimensional. She is one of the most complex characters with interwoven relationships to characters like Nightcrawler. Her character is ACTING in these newer films.

Could they ruin this film by making it all about her? Sure. I hope they can find a balance similar to Wolverine's character. I am assuming they will. Either way it's not on Jennifer Lawrence IMO.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah but I heard people say the same think about Wolverine. RR was nothing more than eye candy. That was it. She was never given anything to do in the previous films aside from bashing a few heads. What you call "mysterious"...I call shallow and one dimensional. So, I can't even evaluate how her character would have been had they given her more to do other than bash people while in the blue skin. I would have loved to see it. Not complaining though...she was uber hot in that makeup. :D

I love the fact I get to see what made her latter self get to the place she was at depicted later in that timeline. If you read the comics you know there was much more to that character verses what they have put on film. In the comics she is anything but one dimensional. She is one of the most complex characters with interwoven relationships to characters like Nightcrawler. Her character is ACTING in these newer films.

Could they ruin this film by making it all about her? Sure. I hope they can find a balance similar to Wolverine's character. I am assuming they will. Either way it's not on Jennifer Lawrence IMO.

Except that, as a character, Wolverine is MUCH, MUCH more interesting than Mystique.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that, as a character, Wolverine is MUCH, MUCH more interesting than Mystique.

Agree but I am not debating that which is more interesting. Only that there is a ton of material that is interesting about her character that is interwoven in the X-men universe. It's worth spending some time on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree but I am not debating that which is more interesting. Only that there is a ton of material that is interesting about her character that is interwoven in the X-men universe. It's worth spending some time on.

So far in this series, it hasn't been. How many times do you try before you move on to more interesting characters? Wolverine worked from Day 1, Mystique hasn't worked at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far in this series, it hasn't been. How many times do you try before you move on to more interesting characters? Wolverine worked from Day 1, Mystique hasn't worked at all.

I think that's why we disagree. I think it has worked. Her character is much more interesting to me. The character is no longer just "muscle". Love to see them explore her bigger role in universe and relationships to the lore of other characters a la the comics.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think that's why we disagree. I think it has worked. Her character is much more interesting to me. The character is no longer just "muscle". Love to see them explore her bigger role in universe and relationships to the lore of other characters a la the comics.

Definitely agree to disagree on this one. I think Lawrence is bad and brings the movies down. And that is regardless of her character. I've never been a fan of that character to begin with, so it's easier for me. :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree to disagree on this one. I think Lawrence is bad and brings the movies down. And that is regardless of her character. I've never been a fan of that character to begin with, so it's easier for me. :D

Fair enough. I think the new cast, including her, are the reason the franchise has been revitalized. She brings acting chops to a one dimensional part. Can't wait to see what they do in this movie as Apocalypse is very near and dear to many comic fans. If they screw up that character...nobody will be talking about Jennifer Lawrence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think the new cast, including her, are the reason the franchise has been revitalized. She brings acting chops to a one dimensional part. Can't wait to see what they do in this movie as Apocalypse is very near and dear to many comic fans. If they screw up that character...nobody will be talking about Jennifer Lawrence.

Fanboys are already up in arms because he looks like he belongs in a Power Rangers movie than an X-Men movie.

:maninground:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I agree... about the rest of the new cast, just not JLaw. Seemed like stunt casting when they did it and continues to be stunt casting.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree... about the rest of the new cast, just not JLaw. Seemed like stunt casting when they did it and continues to be stunt casting.

Oh come on. They were looking for actors not just eye candy. If they didn't need someone to "act" I am sure they could and would have just recast the part with someone to continue to play eye candy part.

Plus I just looked up the timing. She was cast for the part in 2010 before she became a household name. She was hired because of her impressive work on Winter's Bone. It's not like they knew she was going to someday win an Oscar or become as big as she has.

Stunt Casting would have been hiring a megastar at the time...she was not.

Fanboys are already up in arms because he looks like he belongs in a Power Rangers movie than an X-Men movie.

:maninground:

Yep, exactly. The fans are already bitching. I guarantee that will be the hot topic should they screw anything up in that movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh come on. They were looking for actors not just eye candy. If they didn't need someone to "act" I am sure they could and would have just recast the part with someone to continue to play eye candy part.

Plus I just looked up the timing. She was cast for the part in 2010 before she became a household name. She was hired because of her impressive work on Winter's Bone. It's not like they knew she was going to someday win an Oscar or become as big as she dd.

Stunt Casting would have been hiring a megastar at the time...she was not.

Yep, exactly. The fans are already bitching. I guarantee that will be the hot topic should they screw anything up in that movie.

I haven't been impressed with any of JLaw's acting since Silver Linings, so that argument is pretty thin.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with any of JLaw's acting since Silver Linings, so that argument is pretty thin.

How is that thin? Unless you are saying the studio and casting directors can see into the future and could see how all of her future films would turn out??!? She was coming off Winter's Bone which she was getting some recognition for. They wanted an actor to play the part. It aligns perfectly with that decision at that time. You can't retroactively apply "stunt casting" to her being hired for the part just because subsequently she becomes a star or you as of today are not impressed with her.

This is starting to sound more like you simply don't like her which is fine but it doesn't sound like you are being very partial.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is that thin? Unless you are saying the studio and casting directors can see into the future and could see how all of her future films would turn out??!? She was coming off Winter's Bone which she was getting some recognition for. They wanted an actor to play the part. It aligns perfectly with that decision at that time. You can't retroactively apply "stunt casting" to her being hired for the part just because subsequently she becomes a star or you as of today are not impressed with her.

This is starting to sound more like you simply don't like her which is fine but it doesn't sound like you are being very partial.

I do think she's capable, just not as Mystique (or Katniss Everdeen for that matter).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think she's capable, just not as Mystique (or Katniss Everdeen for that matter).

OK Chap. You are wrong but OK. We all have personal tastes for parts but "capable" and you have not been impressed with her sounds like you simply don't like her as an actress. Like I said that's cool. We just will have to agree to disagree like you said.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK Chap. You are wrong but OK. We all have personal tastes for parts but "capable" and you have not been impressed with her sounds like you simply don't like her as an actress. Like I said that's cool. We just will have to agree to disagree like you said.

Disagreement of opinion--hm "you are wrong but ok" doesn't really support that. Considering how much we agree on so many other things, I'm surprised you're as worked up about this.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagreement of opinion--hm "you are wrong but ok" doesn't really support that. Considering how much we agree on so many other things, I'm surprised you're as worked up about this.

Not really worked up but I just thought you are a little all over the place with your reasoning. She should be mysterious but that is not the character in the comics. She was stunt casted but that can't be because she wasn't a huge star at the time of her casting. Then you thew in their you have not been impressed overall with her acting.

Honestly, it sounds like you are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at her to support your opinion. In terms of you being wrong, I was referring to me refuting your reasoning in the previous posts.

Like I said...it's cool though. Just difference of opinion that's all. We all can't like the same things.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, I just re-watched the trailer. I might have to go back and watch but was he in a wheelchair at the end of the last movie? It appears he is standing again in the trailer and when he gets slammed by Apocalypse he is back in the wheelchair maybe?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite actor in this series right now is James McAvoy, who had to follow up Patrick Stewart and not only did it but really made the role his.

I personally am looking forward to this and have enjoyed the last 2 xmen movies immensely

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, I just re-watched the trailer. I might have to go back and watch but was he in a wheelchair at the end of the last movie? It appears he is standing again in the trailer and when he gets slammed by Apocalypse he is back in the wheelchair maybe?

I think he is on the Astral Plane during that encounter. Likely using Cerebro to spy on Apocalypse

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was REALLY mediocre and painfully long. A couple solid action scenes, and again, the big quicksilver scene steals the movie, but otherwise, it was all kinda been there, seen that and none of the new versions of Storm, Angel, Cyclops, Jean or Nightcrawler were all that interesting. Hell, Storm and Angel might have only had 10 lines between them. And the character Apocalypse was a snoozer as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was good movie and better than the reviews. However, the last two movies were better. This one wasted much of the casts talent by amping up the FX and action and totally forgetting who they cast in the parts. I think they tried to jam so many characters in this one it robbed some of the other cast of anything juicy. As much as I love Oscar Isaac, Apocalypse was a bit of a let down. They didn't really give him anything to do either but talk in short sentences, make his eyes glow and wave his hands.

Loved quick silver in this movie. His scenes were just cool. Loved the time they spent on Magneto and his family as well. It wrapped up a little to neat at the end. This almost felt like they have no place else to go in the franchise but I am sure they will.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Looked interesting but I was never a big X guy so I started the series last night with the first Wolverine solo film. It was pretty bad. What was up with Ryan Reynolds in that movie at the end?

The second Wolverine was much better and I just watched First Class. Pretty good too. On to Days of Future Past now.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X-Men: Apocalypse

Release Date: May 27, 2016
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Bryan Singer
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of violence, action and destruction, brief strong language and some suggestive images)
Screenwriter: Simon Kinberg
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Olivia Munn, Lucas Till, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Helman, Lana Condor, Ben Hardy

Plot Summary: Following the critically acclaimed global smash hit "X-Men: Days of Future Past," director Bryan Singer returns with "X-Men: Apocalypse." Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshipped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard