X-Men: Apocalypse

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Looked interesting but I was never a big X guy so I started the series last night with the first Wolverine solo film. It was pretty bad. What was up with Ryan Reynolds in that movie at the end?

The second Wolverine was much better and I just watched First Class. Pretty good too. On to Days of Future Past now.

Oh god no, why would you start with those movies? Go back to the beginning, to X1 and X2. My advice would be to skip X3 entirely, because it sucked pretty bad.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh god no, why would you start with those movies? Go back to the beginning, to X1 and X2. My advice would be to skip X3 entirely, because it sucked pretty bad.

I wouldn't skip it. Not because it's any good but it would completely take away from the dismantling of that movie that Bryan Singer gives us in the last movie and a line in this new one. Without that context, the last movie just isn't as fun and the line in the new movie doesn't have any weight.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wouldn't skip it. Not because it's any good but it would completely take away from the dismantling of that movie that Bryan Singer gives us in the last movie and a line in this new one. Without that context, the last movie just isn't as fun and the line in the new movie doesn't have any weight.

Okay, you make a great point there :D

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

First Class and Days of Future Past are technically prequels so I figured I'd watch them first. They were both really good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Class and Days of Future Past are technically prequels so I figured I'd watch them first. They were both really good.

Technically but it doesn't really work out that way. I guess First Class still applies. However, Days of Future Past really resets the timeline and alters how events play out in the future. Days of Future Past references those first movies and acknowledges the timeline changed.

To me it would be much more confusing to keep the timeline straight if you watched the newer movies first.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To me it would be much more confusing to keep the timeline straight if you watched the newer movies first.

So you would suggest watching the two (and now three) newer movies first and pretty much forgetting about all the previous movies? Because if you hadn't seen the previous ones, it would make them a lot more confusing--you'd have to consider the older movies a "reboot" rather than part of the same universe. Of course, that is also a Catch-22 because of the old cast's presence in Days of Future Past.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you would suggest watching the two (and now three) newer movies first and pretty much forgetting about all the previous movies? Because if you hadn't seen the previous ones, it would make them a lot more confusing--you'd have to consider the older movies a "reboot" rather than part of the same universe. Of course, that is also a Catch-22 because of the old cast's presence in Days of Future Past.

No. The opposite. I think you should watch them in the order they were released. Normally I am one of those people that says it's OK to watch Pre-quels first (i.e. Star Wars). However, not in this case. Because they mess with the timelines and reference the earlier movies....it makes it too crazy to understand the implications of the events in Days of Future past for example.

It would be one thing if you never had any intention of watching the earlier films. I guess you could just start from the newer ones and pretend they didn't exist. However, if your intention is to watch them all....that's at least how I would do it.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No. The opposite. I think you should watch them in the order they were released. Normally I am one of those people that says it's OK to watch Pre-quels first (i.e. Star Wars). However, not in this case. Because they mess with the timelines and reference the earlier movies....it makes it too crazy to understand the implications of the events in Days of Future past for example.

Yeah, I totally read your post wrong. My bad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mediocre movie.

As stated, the Quicksilver scene was pretty stellar, but outside of that I kept looking at my watch to see if the movie was almost over.

Apocalypse was dreadful, and outside of McAvoy and Fassbender, none of the characters were remotely interesting. I find it sad that Marvel can't get their best super hero group (the Xmen) right.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mediocre movie.

As stated, the Quicksilver scene was pretty stellar, but outside of that I kept looking at my watch to see if the movie was almost over.

Apocalypse was dreadful, and outside of McAvoy and Fassbender, none of the characters were remotely interesting. I find it sad that Marvel can't get their best super hero group (the Xmen) right.

It's not Marvel. They don't own the rights. You can thank Fox for anything you don't like.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I feel pretty much the same as the general sentiment here, though I wouldn't call it 'mediocre.' I was entertained for the first 3 and a half hours... :p

I did think it was way overly long though the last half our of the movie I really, really just wanted it to be over. Just completely lost me and I didn't care anymore. Never a good sign.

ummm spoiler alert? lol not sure how we're doing this anymore

It all just felt really, really, really tired. And man, people ripped on Superman for destroying a city, lol, how many millions of humans died in this film? At the end in the news thing they're all like; It's all good, cuz Magneto, you know the guy who killed millions, changed sides right at the end and saved us! rofl...

But really that was just amusing, it wasn't a big thing, it was just common ground that I wasn't invested in at all.

Why cant they ever give these villains a goal other than destroying the world? Seriously, the good guys ALWAYS win in the end, and they have to, because the alternative is the destruction of the entire world, so the end is never in doubt, obviously they aren't going to let the whole world get destroyed, hard to have a sequel when you do that... Why not have one film where the villains goal isn't global destruction and instead make it a more obtainable goal like just to make a bunch of money, and let them win! That would be interesting. Who will have to balls to end one of these superhero movies in complete despair, Empire styles...

This is why I prefer Japanese Anime over American superhero lore, because the bad guys win all the time and the heroes die, and as sad as it is, atleast it's freaking interesting! :)

And I'm not talking about Marvel "deaths" where at most it's an ancillary character that nobody cares about, or they just kill a main character and then bring them back to life inexplicably, which is worse IMO than not killing anyone at all.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel pretty much the same as the general sentiment here, though I wouldn't call it 'mediocre.' I was entertained for the first 3 and a half hours... :p

I did think it was way overly long though the last half our of the movie I really, really just wanted it to be over. Just completely lost me and I didn't care anymore. Never a good sign.

It all just felt really, really, really tired. And man, people ripped on Superman for destroying a city, lol, how many millions of humans died in this film? At the end in the news thing they're all like; It's all good, cuz Magneto, you know the guy who killed millions, changed sides right at the end and saved us! rofl...

Yeah... I thought that was pretty ridiculous at the end. Magneto has just killed a boatload of people throughout the movie and Xavier's just like... "come on, dude. stick around. we'll have fun!" at the end.

But really that was just amusing, it wasn't a big thing, it was just common ground that I wasn't invested in at all.

Why cant they ever give these villains a goal other than destroying the world? Seriously, the good guys ALWAYS win in the end, and they have to, because the alternative is the destruction of the entire world, so the end is never in doubt, obviously they aren't going to let the whole world get destroyed, hard to have a sequel when you do that... Why not have one film where the villains goal isn't global destruction and instead make it a more obtainable goal like just to make a bunch of money, and let them win! That would be interesting. Who will have to balls to end one of these superhero movies in complete despair, Empire styles...

Civil War almost accomplished this. The villain wasn't hell-bent on destruction and it ALMOST left the Avengers in tatters, but kinda chickened out at the end.

This is why I prefer Japanese Anime over American superhero lore, because the bad guys win all the time and the heroes die, and as sad as it is, atleast it's freaking interesting! :)

And I'm not talking about Marvel "deaths" where at most it's an ancillary character that nobody cares about, or they just kill a main character and then bring them back to life inexplicably, which is worse IMO than not killing anyone at all.

yeah, the Marvel "deaths" have gotten old.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw this one Saturday..... it was visually entertaining,...but other than that..........

blah...pretty dull.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not to be a buzzkill but is Quicksilver really that fast in the comics? Seems like they're making him out to be The Flash who can move at the speed of light.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be a buzzkill but is Quicksilver really that fast in the comics? Seems like they're making him out to be The Flash who can move at the speed of light.

If I remember correctly he can go something like Mach 5. Definitely faster than the speed of sound. He is not as fast as The Flash but definitely fast enough to do what he did IMO.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
saw this one Saturday..... it was visually entertaining,...but other than that..........

blah...pretty dull.
Yeah, but to me outside of the Quicksilver scene the FX weren't that great either.

Wasn't the least bit impressed with Isaac as Apocalypse either. That's the type of character they needed someone taller like Lee Pace (Ronan) in Guardians. Give the character a more imposing presence on screen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but to me outside of the Quicksilver scene the FX weren't that great either.

Wasn't the least bit impressed with Isaac as Apocalypse either. That's the type of character they needed someone taller like Lee Pace (Ronan) in Guardians. Give the character a more imposing presence on screen.

I love Oscar but Lee Pace would have been just as bland. I don't know why but for some reason studios seems to struggle with blue villains outside of Mystique.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yeah, you've got some good points here. Other than it being set in the 80s I couldn't get interested in this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard