Wrapping up this draft - My picks

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Thus far, this draft, minus the first round, has gone quite astray from what any of us projected. I'm not going to complain about the way the draft has gone so far, rather finish off this draft the way I'd do it.

As far as how I personally would wrap up this draft...this is what I would do:

Round 4: Sam Acho OLB

For a while there, I had Justin Houston rated as my second best OLB prospect in this draft until I watched him struggle mightily in drills at the combine, with Acho right behind him at #3. Post Combine, I moved Acho up to #2 on my list, but I really thought he'd be gone in the late second to early third. This guy brings a great work ethic and high character to go along with his solid play. If there is a college DE in this draft who is smart enough to make the transition to OLB in the pro's, Acho is it.

Round 5: Marcus Cannon OL

He's got cancer, but 90% of the time his form of cancer is fully treatable. Takes a massive slide due to the cancer and the lockout plagued offseason where teams may be a bit less reluctant to take such a risk.

Round 6: Mario Harvey ILB

A real thumper but has very good athleticism for his size. Solid contributor on special teams.

Might not last til this pick, as I'm hearing from family in Pittsburgh, that their local media is stating that the Steelers is in love with Harvey and may take him by their pick in the 5th round.

Round 6: Either Ricky Stanzi or Owen Marecic

Ricky Stanzi should at least develop into a quality backup with the slight potential to maybe become an average to above average starter. Won't be great but is worth the risk in the 6th round.

Owen Marecic is the kind of throwback, physical player that we need lead blocking for our backs with his punishing style of blocking.

Round 7: Blaine Sumner NT

Beast of a man with some insane measurables. 6'1 335lbs who runs a 5.2 forty, 34 vertical, 10'6 broad jump, 225x52 times, 50" standing box jump, 1000lb squat.

Comes from a very small school but is a very smart kid, and a tireless player on the field. Doesn't hurt that he is also an engineer.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Love your thinking you found my sleeper in Blaine Summer from the Colorado School of Mines.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
Love your thinking here.
This could also make up for the early debacle.

I'd want the FB, not Stanzi. Not enough balls to go around for another young QB. I think at this point we need to roll with Skelton and some vet.

One person I think would be a great value at 6 is WR Dane Sanzenbacher (sp?) from Ohio State. This kid is tough over the middle, smart, great hands, and has some straight line speed. IMO he was the best offensive player for OSU the last few years. Would be an upgrade from Komar and could become a great slot guy.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff hypo. Do we use one of our 6th rd picks to move up in the 4th to get Acho?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Hypo-----we can always count on you to have your head in the game and call the right plays. Good way to finish up this draft.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good stuff hypo. Do we use one of our 6th rd picks to move up in the 4th to get Acho?

Anyone think drafting the Alabama QB might be a wise selection since QB remains our number one need since the draft began. How can a team with the worst QBs in the NFL not draft a QB? We have no idea if we can sign one of the better FA QBs. Someone mentioned drafting for the future. Well, who is our QB for the future aside from NFL teams no longer use long range plans. You plan to win today. Fans plan on seeing you win today. If you lose you sell fewer tickets and get less advertising money and sell less merchandise. The Bidwills are business people first and surely they must get this. When Kurt was here they probably made more money than anytime in Cards history.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone think drafting the Alabama QB might be a wise selection since QB remains our number one need since the draft began. How can a team with the worst QBs in the NFL not draft a QB? We have no idea if we can sign one of the better FA QBs. Someone mentioned drafting for the future. Well, who is our QB for the future aside from NFL teams no longer use long range plans. You plan to win today. Fans plan on seeing you win today. If you lose you sell fewer tickets and get less advertising money and sell less merchandise. The Bidwills are business people first and surely they must get this. When Kurt was here they probably made more money than anytime in Cards history.

No QB in this years draft was going to be ready to help this year. We have our developmental QB in Skelton. No OTA's this year and maybe limited to no training camp. So any QB drafted was not going to be used this year and really not get much coaching through the year.

We will get a vet QB via FA or trade and then will have a better idea next year if Skelton is a keeper or we need to draft the QBOTF.

The Cards with a good vet QB can win the west this year.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No QB in this years draft was going to be ready to help this year. We have our developmental QB in Skelton. No OTA's this year and maybe limited to no training camp. So any QB drafted was not going to be used this year and really not get much coaching through the year.

We will get a vet QB via FA or trade and then will have a better idea next year if Skelton is a keeper or we need to draft the QBOTF.

They were talking about how Cam missed several interviews because he was with his new coaches. Who, I assume, knew the lockout was going to be back on so they shoved the playbook and talked as much football as they could until the lockout was announced back on. Pretty smart, he can do the interviews anytime. I don't even know if Locker or Gabbert got their playbooks. (I'd imagine they did)

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Even with a vet QB the Cards aren't going to win the West. I believe we have fallen behind every team to be honest.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone think drafting the Alabama QB might be a wise selection since QB remains our number one need since the draft began.....
Yes, but no.

Some expert close to the scene was quoted today as saying that McElroy is more likely to become an eventual starter in the NFL than anyone in this draft class, so Yes, McElroy would make sense as one of our final 3 picks.

But no, we shouldn't draft him because we need better QBing right away. For that, we will have to rely on free agency.

Note -I'm still intrigued by an other QB - Tyrod Taylor (too short but with Michael Vick type talent). He is adamant about not playing WR, but if he were to get a shot at QB and not pan out, perhaps he could be persueded to take a crack at WR - he'd be an intriguing pass catching prospect and "slash" Wildcat all-purpose player. (And, who knows, maybe he'd click at QB).