Would you approve of these offseason moves?

sunsGM

Reaction score
Sign Brook Lopez to max deal of 14 million

Re-sign Robin Lopez

Trade Gortat/Frye to Atlanta for Josh Smith

Amnesty Childress

Sign Bayless

Draft Austin Rivers

Sign OJ Mayo to 5 mil/year

Lopez(14)/Lopez(5)
Morris(2)/Warrick(4)
Smith(13)/Dudley(4)
Mayo(5)/Rivers(2)
Bayless(5)/Telfair(1.5)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good lord, I wouldnt touch Brook Lopez with a 10 foot pole. If someone gives him 14 million a year they deserve the hell they would enter.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Brooke and Robin Lopez, we might actually win the Pac 10 tournament.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
I almost never post anymore.. Just lurk.

But I had to login to say that has to be the most mundane nba roster I've seen in my life..

Give me Brian cardinal and Brian SCALABRINE over robin and brook.. That's how bad they are.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only two moves Ill approve of that will getting me watching the NBA again are:

Sarver sells team

Stern retires

Although I would accept only Sarver selling team and Id come back.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
There is no one worth spending money on this year that will want to play for the SUNS, they best thing they can do is hold on to the money and use it next year and go after Harden and Bledsoe, great starting back court add that to Gortat, Morris, and whomever they draft and you have a start...

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
The only two moves Ill approve of that will getting me watching the NBA again are:

Sarver sells team

Stern retires

Although I would accept only Sarver selling team and Id come back.

Ditto! Sarver may be the worst thing to have happened to the Suns...he can't afford them and its cost them dearly.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ditto! Sarver may be the worst thing to have happened to the Suns...he can't afford them and its cost them dearly.

I think he can afford them just fine. All teams have to manage expenses. He is willing to spend money; He has just made a lot bad decisions in trying to do so.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think he can afford them just fine. All teams have to manage expenses. He is willing to spend money; He has just made a lot bad decisions in trying to do so.

+1

I thought we'd already gotten past the "Sarver is cheap" nonsense. Idiot, yes. Cheap, no.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Stupid and cheap. How is selling draft picks not cheap? How is not investing in top personnel people or rewarding those who succeed in the front office not cheap?

If you don't think he's been pinching pennies as well, you haven't paid attention.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stupid and cheap. How is selling draft picks not cheap? How is not investing in top personnel people or rewarding those who succeed in the front office not cheap?

If you don't think he's been pinching pennies as well, you haven't paid attention.

Selling draft picks simply because the coach at the time wasn't going to play them doesn't mean he's cheap. Or did you forget that?

But maybe you conveniently forgot Hakim Warrick, Josh Childress and Marcus Banks. Sarver has no problem paying veterans with experience--he just overpays for awful players.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing one Lopez stick his hand in the air in a feeble attempt to rebound the ball is enough. I couldn't take watching both of them play volleyball out there.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
The plan goes like this...Do not resign Nash, Tank next season, Get top 3 pick, Amnesty Chilly, Go after 2 big free agents in 2013-14.....WE MUST NOT pay max dollars for anyone in this free agent class

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Selling draft picks simply because the coach at the time wasn't going to play them doesn't mean he's cheap. Or did you forget that?

But maybe you conveniently forgot Hakim Warrick, Josh Childress and Marcus Banks. Sarver has no problem paying veterans with experience--he just overpays for awful players.

Sure it does, because as you probably are aware, draft picks can be developed, so even if they don't play right away, you'll have some talent to build around. (A colossal mistake, both at the time and in retrospect)

You'll get no contention from me as to whether or not he's made some large investments into awful players. You conveniently ignore my point about his investment in front office and personnel.

Being cheap and incompetent aren't mutually exclusive, and Sarver has certainly exhibited both.

BTW, good to see you around here after your self imposed exodus, while we may not always agree, you're certainly more reasonable than some of our other more recent unfortunate additions.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think "penny wise, pound foolish" is the best way to describe him.

This has been my position for a long time regarding Sarver. This explains him seemingly being cheap where he should spend. The Suns have chosen to go cheap on FO staff, scouting and coaching. Then inexplicably they spend too much money on bad player personnel decisions such as investing sizeable sums in role players and virtually getting nothing in return for assets such as draft picks.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan goes like this...Do not resign Nash, Tank next season, Get top 3 pick, Amnesty Chilly, Go after 2 big free agents in 2013-14.....WE MUST NOT pay max dollars for anyone in this free agent class

yup. next year howard and Chris Paul are likely FAs. A pipe dream to be sure, but if you're gonna save your money, save it for something worth spending on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been my position for a long time regarding Sarver. This explains him seemingly being cheap where he should spend. The Suns have chosen to go cheap on FO staff, scouting and coaching. Then inexplicably they spend too much money on bad player personnel decisions such as investing sizeable sums in role players and virtually getting nothing in return for assets such as draft picks.

i'll never forgive this team for balking on paying JJ 1 million more per year back in the summer of 2004. JJ at 10 million per year was a great get at that time and would have been an absolute bargain moving forward.

Nash/JJ/Amare would have been an absolute monster moving forward throughout the years 2006-10.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i'll never forgive this team for balking on paying JJ 1 million more per year back in the summer of 2004. JJ at 10 million per year was a great get at that time and would have been an absolute bargain moving forward.
I looked back at the stats and JJ was coming off of the 03-04 season in which he averaged 16.7, up from 9.8 the previous year. What surprised me was that JJ only averaged 17.1 in 04-05, Nash's first year. I thought his average was higher.

Nash/JJ/Amare would have been an absolute monster moving forward throughout the years 2006-10.
All we would need to add to that core was a SF that averaged 20 and 10...

Marion? :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson