Offseason Primer: Roster, FA, and so on.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As you say "when healthy" .Matthieu has to be able to stay on the field.So far he is just another guy.

Which is kinda my thought. If his body can only take 80% of NFL defensive snaps, and he is bets playing close to the LOS...maybe his future is as a nickel CB rather than trying to make him work as a FS.

Similar to Ellington. If his strengths are his pass catching and ellusiveness, but those strengths are dimminished when he is dinged up, maybe you get a guy whose strengths are to pound the ball and pass block. This allows Ellington to stay healthier and play to his strengths.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When healthy, I think the Badger could be a terrific, Pro Bowl level FS...

You're free to think that, obviously. I'd like for you to support that feeling with some evidence. Because when I see Mathieu playing at his best, he's playing downhill.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You're free to think that, obviously. I'd like for you to support that feeling with some evidence. Because when I see Mathieu playing at his best, he's playing downhill.

Playing downhill as a Strong Safety?? That position is locked up by Bucannon.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Disagree. His best plays aren't on downhill rushes stopping runs or rushing the QB. His best plays are playing FS or corner slot. Also think he does well covering TE's, even though he always gives up size. He played spectacularly against Witten and others. He's a ball hawk, which decreases anytime you have him rushing the QB or put him on the line to stop runs.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that Mathieu was playing 80-85% of the snaps his rookie season before his injury. I think it's too soon to make that determination on Tyrann.

I've long been of the opinion that Mathieu is not a safety, and you prefer him playing closer to the line of scrimmage. I think that he played reps at FS last season because you prefer to see him on the field than take him off when you're only playing 4 DBs.

This is Butler's third season in the NFL. He had 16 games on the Steelers roster in 2012.
I agree with this. Mathieu is best close to the LOS using his elite anticipation to sniff out screens, blitz, and being one of our most reliable tacklers. He has better quickness than long speed and the farther he is from the LOS, the less his strengths are being taking advantage of.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard