Woohoo Cards awarded a compensatory pick!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Note: Before anyone suggests it... you can't trade comp picks.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Joe was right. Again, we are going to have to raise his salary, lockout or not.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Because of the non-cap year rules there was very little players switching teams which means some of the fewest amounts of higher round picks handed out that I can remember. Only 5 draft picks handed out in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds combined. Wow.

Anyways for anyone wondering here are our official picks now -

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
Once again we miss out on a high pick because of the signing of depth guys and/or guys we easily could have signed after the comp pick deadline.

Jason Wright 2 years ago, pretty decent player but not important enough to negate Antonio Smith's loss. We could have had a 3rd rounder.

Last year Rex Hadnot (if he qualified), and Paris Lenon who played ok, but I'm convinced he would have been there later on. Another 3rd rounder we didn't get.

I know I'm oversimplifying a little, but there's also some truth in this.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Because of the non-cap year rules there was very little players switching teams which means some of the fewest amounts of higher round picks handed out that I can remember. Only 5 draft picks handed out in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds combined. Wow.

Thanks, Joe. Let the array of new mocks begin!

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How crazy is it that Miami signs our best FA and gets a higher comp pick than us.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Once again we miss out on a high pick because of the signing of depth guys and/or guys we easily could have signed after the comp pick deadline.

Jason Wright 2 years ago, pretty decent player but not important enough to negate Antonio Smith's loss. We could have had a 3rd rounder.

Last year Rex Hadnot (if he qualified), and Paris Lenon who played ok, but I'm convinced he would have been there later on. Another 3rd rounder we didn't get.

All True.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Sure there is truth in it, but I also dont agree with it. You dont adjust your free agency plans in year one with the hopes of MAYBE getting a comp pick in year two. You do free agency with the hopes of improving your team to win right now.

As for the assertion that we could have signed some of these guys EASILY after the comp pick deadline, not so sure anyone can say that. They could have just as easily been snapped up before we got a chance.

Again you don't plan your free agency around comp picks, there are way to many variables that go in to it for that type of planning to actually come to fruition and will back fire more times then not.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Joe - Source?

NFL.com hadn't posted the entire official draft order as of early yesterday (they had only posted the compensatory picks in isolation) and the various draft guides have different takes on the order of picks.

For example, Pro Football Draft Guide gives the Cardinals two picks in Round 6. USA Today and Lindy's do not. Both Pro Football Draft Guide and USA Today take away the Cardinal regular pick in Round 7 (trade for Rhodes). Pro Football Draft Guide gives the Cards the #5 pick in each round, whereas USA Today and Lindy's give us #5 and #6 picks in alternate rounds.

Until your post, my best info available gave us 7 picks: #5, #38, #68, #103, #136, #170 and #248.

Joe, your info is usually the most spot-on of anyone on this board, but until I can actually see something official posted on the NFL website, my inclination is to wait til we're sure

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

For example, Pro Football Draft Guide gives the Cardinals two picks in Round 6. USA Today and Lindy's do not. Pro Football Draft Guide gives the Cards the #5 pick in each round, whereas USA Today and Lindy's give us #5 and #6 picks in alternate rounds.

Until your post, my best info available gave us 7 picks: #5, #38, #68, #103, #136, #170 and #248.

Joe, your info is usually the most spot-on of anyone on this board, but until I can actually see something official posted on the NFL website, my inclination is to wait til we're sure

We have the Eagles pick from the Reggie Wells trade, a lot of sites have yet to remember this little fact. Walterfootball.com finally added it just a week ago.

We get the #5 pick and #6 pick in alternate rounds because we have the same record as the Browns which means we flip flop in each round.

Not sure why you give the Cards the #68 pick, it is the 4th pick in the 3rd round, we have the 5th pick being pick #69. As for pick 170 you forgot the flip flop rule, Browns get the 5th pick in the 6th round we get the 6th meaning pick #171 is ours. We get the Eagles pick in the 6th round meaning pick #184. Then the 7th round comp pick.

This is correct and accurate, even includes the Lions Tampering punishment of losing a 7th rounder and swap of 5th rounders with the Chiefs.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/draftorder.shtml

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I thought Lenon was one of our better players last year.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Lenon was one of our better players last year.
True, which, sadly, says a lot about the state of last year's defense.

Statwise, Lenon has a good year. Personally, i'm not a huge fan of him, but i can't deny that for his salary he's been a good pick up. But if i recall correctly, he wasn't really brought in as a starter, he was brought in as a temporary guy to give Washington some competition/mentoring and to add some experience. More of a depth/rotational signing who eventually turned out to be a starter because Hayes ended up needing surgery, and we couldn't find a quality starter anymore to replace him (Keith Bulluck picked the Giants over us)
Sure there is truth in it, but I also dont agree with it. You dont adjust your free agency plans in year one with the hopes of MAYBE getting a comp pick in year two. You do free agency with the hopes of improving your team to win right now.

As for the assertion that we could have signed some of these guys EASILY after the comp pick deadline, not so sure anyone can say that. They could have just as easily been snapped up before we got a chance.

Again you don't plan your free agency around comp picks, there are way to many variables that go in to it for that type of planning to actually come to fruition and will back fire more times then not.
I know it's a difficult situation, where do you draw the line as an organisation in the timing of picking up players. That's why i put down the 'oversimplifying' remark, to cover my behind :D.

Maybe we couldn't have picked up Jason Wright and Paris Lenon per se after the deadline, but players of that caliber (or at least that caliber for the role they were thought to be brought in for at that particular time) are almost always available at a later time. Maybe as a free agent, or maybe after cuts made by other teams.

The question is, how sure can you be as a team that the guys you're bringing in are huge upgrades over the guys you can bring in at a later time? A team should always make huge free agent signings, or quality starters, if they have the chance to. But what about depth/rotational/special teams guys like Wright and Lenon? I agree that you don't plan your free agency for comp picks, but i do think that comp picks is something you should at least consider as a team in those situations, especially when you've lost some huge free agents, and high comp picks are awaiting.

Again, i'm way way way oversimplifying right now, and hindsight is always easy (but for the sake of the discussion, here we go ;)), but can you say that Wright (special teamer) and Lenon (ILB in the worst defense in the league, could a lesser replacement have done any worse) have performed like 3rd round picks? Because that was what they essentially wound up being.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, i'm way way way oversimplifying right now, and hindsight is always easy (but for the sake of the discussion, here we go ;)), but can you say that Wright (special teamer) and Lenon (ILB in the worst defense in the league, could a lesser replacement have done any worse) have performed like 3rd round picks? Because that was what they essentially wound up being.

I've had the same thougths as yourself about in essence picking up Jason Wright and Lenon in exchange for 3rd rd picks. I also fully agree with Joe that they have to have a FA plan and that plan is in place to win this year. Wright is more valuable to Whiz because he is a veteran who is fantastic locker room presence and leader. A rookie 3rd pick won't have anywhere near the same impact. Whiz is still trying to fix the culture of this team and players attitudes are very high on the list of skills desired.

Teams like the Steelers who get decent comp picks do so because they have their depth in place and have been drafting the right way for decades so they don't have to fix a lot of the roster the way the Cards have since Whiz has come on board.

It takes more then 3 paychecks (drafts/FA) to recover from bankruptcy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've had the same thougths as yourself about in essence picking up Jason Wright and Lenon in exchange for 3rd rd picks. I also fully agree with Joe that they have to have a FA plan and that plan is in place to win this year. Wright is more valuable to Whiz because he is a veteran who is fantastic locker room presence and leader. A rookie 3rd pick won't have anywhere near the same impact. Whiz is still trying to fix the culture of this team and players attitudes are very high on the list of skills desired.

Teams like the Steelers who get decent comp picks do so because they have their depth in place and have been drafting the right way for decades so they don't have to fix a lot of the roster the way the Cards have since Whiz has come on board.

It takes more then 3 paychecks (drafts/FA) to recover from bankruptcy.

Correct. The reason the Cards are in the mess they are now is that 14 of the 24 top guys from the SuperBowl team, their pro-bowl special teams ace, and their first round QBOF are no longer on the team. That is a lot of guys, and experience-iirc the Cards started only 3 players in the SB with less than 4 years NFL experience- to replace in just a couple of drafts/FA.

Meanwhile every single starter on defense for the Steelers in that SB is still with Pittsburgh. (Although McFadden and Foote left and came back). Easy to see why they were back in the Bowl again in 2010 while the Cards languished at the bottom of the worst Division in the NFL.

The problem is that the Cards have been doing this for years. And most times are having to bandage self inflicted wounds. Somebody summed it up very nicely a while back on ASFN. The Steelers let old stars go and replace them with young guys. The Cards let young guys go and replace them with old stars.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. The reason the Cards are in the mess they are now is that 14 of the 24 top guys from the SuperBowl team, their pro-bowl special teams ace, and their first round QBOF are no longer on the team. That is a lot of guys, and experience-iirc the Cards started only 3 players in the SB with less than 4 years NFL experience- to replace in just a couple of drafts/FA.

Meanwhile every single starter on defense for the Steelers in that SB is still with Pittsburgh. (Although McFadden and Foote left and came back). Easy to see why they were back in the Bowl again in 2010 while the Cards languished at the bottom of the worst Division in the NFL.

The problem is that the Cards have been doing this for years. And most times are having to bandage self inflicted wounds. Somebody summed it up very nicely a while back on ASFN. The Steelers let old stars go and replace them with young guys. The Cards let young guys go and replace them with old stars.
Nailed it.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

But it's more than that. It's the fact that we are perfectly willing to replace elite talent like Dansby with a draft pick, yet we feel the need to bring in a guy to be our 4th HB like Jason Wright. I wouldn't mind losing comp picks if the players we were bringing in in FA we actually contributing, and we were replacing our scrubs with mid to late round draft picks. But we do it the other way. We try to replace our stars with unproven draft picks and our scrubs with FA.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But it's more than that. It's the fact that we are perfectly willing to replace elite talent like Dansby with a draft pick, yet we feel the need to bring in a guy to be our 4th HB like Jason Wright. I wouldn't mind losing comp picks if the players we were bringing in in FA we actually contributing, and we were replacing our scrubs with mid to late round draft picks. But we do it the other way. We try to replace our stars with unproven draft picks and our scrubs with FA.

Going into last season the Cards had 10 players who were 1st or 2nd round draft picks. New England had 20!

Meanwhile Pittsburgh, had 19 guys drafted in the 4th round or later. Super Bowl Champ Green Bay had 25!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
But it's more than that. It's the fact that we are perfectly willing to replace elite talent like Dansby with a draft pick,

Who said we are perfectly willing to do that? Did Wiz tell you that? Just becuase that is what happened doesnt mean that was their first choice. So what ever happens in the NFL is always a teams first choice?

yet we feel the need to bring in a guy to be our 4th HB like Jason Wright.

Pretty much every team in the NFL keeps 5 RB's/FB's so why is it a surprise they wanted someone to fill out those 5 players. Every team feels the need to do that, so what is your point?

I wouldn't mind losing comp picks if the players we were bringing in in FA we actually contributing

You really think they were only bringing in those players so they wouldnt contribute? Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Arm Chair QB's have the ability to do it, NFL teams do not. Which means the point still remains why in any teams right mind would they not sign a free agent that they want and feel that they will contribute(again hindsight) becuase they think they MIGHT get a comp pick a year later?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen