NFL.com Cardinals Projected Starters

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals have essentially reloaded at CB with guys that the image of what MO and JG want at corner. I'm pretty bullish on Max Melton; I think he's going to at least be a competent long term starter at CB.

SMB has already proven he's a solid #2 CB in the league.

Consider me a Garrett Wilson fan as well, and it sounds like the Cardinals aren't just looking at him in the nickel, they are looking at him at the boundary as well.

I think a CB trio of SMB, Garrett Williams, and Max Melton can be pretty good. What I loved is that the Cardinals hedged their bets a little with also drafting Jones and Davis. Jones was one of my favorite CBs to draft when I did my mock drafts because he was a extreme value in the later rounds, but the Cardinals did draft him about where he truly belonged at the end of day two.

So there is some talented but inexperienced depth. We aren't looking at a situation where a UDFA or lesser veteran is expected to be CB4. From experience, we've all seen that your CB4 often does play at least a little bit, and it's nice to see a 3rd round pick with good size, speed, athletic numbers and college production on the roster.
I cannot downplay the presence of SMB in that CB room. We have not had a legitimate veteran starter since PP left and I for one am ecstatic.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I cannot downplay the presence of SMB in that CB room. We have not had a legitimate veteran starter since PP left and I for one am ecstatic.
This most recent draft coupled with these under the radar FA acquisitions will be the long awaited turning point for the Cardinals team.

Koolaid drinking?

Maybe a few sips through a straw now and then but my heart beat is a bit stronger nowadays:)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I would. Dortch is limited by his size speed profile. If we are looking at just NFL production alone, Zay Jones is the best receiver on the roster and a credible player to receive decently high volume targets.

Dortch probably has a much better chance to catch 30 balls than 50 balls. Zay Jones actually has 80 catch seasons under his belt, though he is pretty much just a possession receiver.

Honestly, I'll be highly disappointed if Dortch has more targets than Jones because that likely means the passing game was a dumpster fire.

I love Dortch and I know the fan base does, but Dortch is the kind of player that plays a lot during the rebuild but fades back into obscurity when the team acquires better NFL talent.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would. Dortch is limited by his size speed profile. If we are looking at just NFL production alone, Zay Jones is the best receiver on the roster and a credible player to receive decently high volume targets.

Dortch probably has a much better chance to catch 30 balls than 50 balls. Zay Jones actually has 80 catch seasons under his belt, though he is pretty much just a possession receiver.

Honestly, I'll be highly disappointed if Dortch has more targets than Jones because that likely means the passing game was a dumpster fire.

I love Dortch and I know the fan base does, but Dortch is the kind of player that plays a lot during the rebuild but fades back into obscurity when the team acquires better NFL talent.
but when on the field Dortch the torch just makes plays… for all his limitations why is this?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
but when on the field Dortch the torch just makes plays… for all his limitations why is this?
He does, but not a high volume over the course of a season. And he's generally not producing big plays either, he's more a small possession guy.

The problem is, invariably over the course of the season there will be plays that bigger receivers could have made that Dortch is incapable of due to his lack of height.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He does, but not a high volume over the course of a season. And he's generally not producing big plays either, he's more a small possession guy.

The problem is, invariably over the course of the season there will be plays that bigger receivers could have made that Dortch is incapable of due to his lack of height.
Seems to have made quite a few critical first downs when targeted but i understand your comments.

I guess when I see some of those bigger receivers you mentioned making plays it will lessen my admiration for the torch:)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems to have made quite a few critical first downs when targeted but i understand your comments.

I guess when I see some of those bigger receivers you mentioned making plays it will lessen my admiration for the torch:)
Not necessarily. Dortch is a fun player to root for, but every rebuilding team has some fan favorite who's abilities are vastly overstated.

I'd say that Dortch is in the top 100 best receivers in the league, but that's not saying much. Jones absolutely should be on the field more.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd say that Dortch is in the top 100 best receivers in the league, but that's not saying much. Jones absolutely should be on the field more.
Top 2/3 of the #3 WRs in the league? Were wondering if he’s the #3 WR on a team that could be 9-8 if things break right. Cmon.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that we have good enough CBs to be more aggressive attacking the QB. Without an elite pass rusher we need to do aggressive and by committee.

I love "Jail break! Meet at the QB." style of defense and miss it.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Dortch is a fun player to root for, but every rebuilding team has some fan favorite who's abilities are vastly overstated.

I root for players who make plays:) players who should make plays not so much…

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am hoping that we have good enough CBs to be more aggressive attacking the QB. Without an elite pass rusher we need to do aggressive and by committee.

I love "Jail break! Meet at the QB." style of defense and miss it.
Agree.
They say " live by the blitz, die by the blitz"
But it's exciting to watch either way and with some ball hawks in the secondary you win more than you lose.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For receiving 1st downs

Dortch had 14 in 16 games.
Rondale Moore had 16 in 17 games, plus 5 rushing
Hollywood had 32 in 14 games.
Micheal Wilson had 29 in 13 games
Trey had 42 in 17 games
Conner had 11 in 13 games, plus 57 rushing 1st downs

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
For receiving 1st downs

Dortch had 14 in 16 games.
Rondale Moore had 16 in 17 games, plus 5 rushing
Hollywood had 32 in 14 games.
Micheal Wilson had 29 in 13 games
Trey had 42 in 17 games
Conner had 11 in 13 games, plus 57 rushing 1st downs
So size matters?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Targets matter, right?
Ok, then let's look at 1st downs success rate based on receptions to 1st downs.

Geoff Swaim 73%
MHJ 72% (college average)
Trey McBride 58%
Micheal Wilson 57%
Zay Jone 54% (average over last 4 seasons)
Eliijah Higgins 53%
Gred Dortch 48%
Hollywood Brown 45%
Rondale Moore 39%

So, Dortch has the lowest returning number.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok, then let's look at 1st downs success rate based on receptions to 1st downs.

Geoff Swaim 73%
MHJ 72% (college average)
Trey McBride 58%
Micheal Wilson 57%
Zay Jone 54% (average over last 4 seasons)
Eliijah Higgins 53%
Gred Dortch 48%
Hollywood Brown 45%
Rondale Moore 39%

So, Dortch has the lowest returning number.
So Dortch was the best of the wee ones:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player