With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It proves that your comment is dumb. Where a player comes from matters nil once they start playing. Justin Murray played fairly well. The Cardinals set a franchise record 5.0 yards per carry.

Rookie OL often suck horribly. Andre Dillard was AWFUL last year. Relying on a rookie OL is not a great idea.

I want Wirfs, Wills, or Becton first and foremost, but I understand passing and going a different route.
Like @gbrim21 said, "he sucked less."

Justin Murray was not good. I don't care if rookie OLs suck horribly to start if they become elite players.

If you think this team needs to draft someone for immediate impact, you're nuts. We need the best players we can get over time. Kyler needs to be protected. Our running game will bloom with a great OL. Everyone on this roster is average at the very best, and Murray is poor. He wouldn't start on anything but the worst OLs in the league, which is what we basically are.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will probably contradict myself with an earlier post or six but I now really want an OT in the first rd. This WR class is sooooooooooo deep we can wait until the 4th or 5th rd and still get a quality WR.

When is the last time we have two legit starting OT's? You win in the trenches so let's finally get the Oline fixed. I would also go OC in rd 2 or 3 as there is several quality ones in this draft. KM should have enough experience at this time that he can make the protection calls if the rookie OC can't handle it. Heck some teams have an OG make the calls.

Freaking fix the Oline and get that unit become a strength of the team.

I would even trade back in the 1st rd if possible because there are 4 OT's that are awesome in this draft.

Obviously we need to address DE, ILB and OLB in FA so we can complete the Offense in the draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
imho on the WRs

Lamb - instant impact
Jeudy - best fit for any system, highest floor
Ruggs - I think he'd have a greater potential connection with Kyler than Lamb.

As much as people talk about Lamb 's reconnection with Kyler. I think Ruggs could replicate the success Kyler had with Hollywood Brown. Him and Lamb had a great chemistry, but it was stronger with Brown. Perfectly placed catch and run passes. The ability to hit the deep pass time and time again.

Jeudy works even if things dont work out with Kliff or Kyler (I think it will, just saying).

Lamb is capable of accelerating Kyler's growth in terms of being use to this kind of offense. Crushing it year in and year out.

Ruggs's over the top game could truly showcase Kyler's full skillset (assuming the line holds up..)

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Folks are playing with fire wanting Simmons.
I agree with this, I just do not see it. Good athlete and nothing wrong with that but I don’t see a top 10 guy. I don’t see anything special when I watch him play. Between him and Kinlaw I can’t decide who will be the bigger bust.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
I will probably contradict myself with an earlier post or six but I now really want an OT in the first rd. This WR class is sooooooooooo deep we can wait until the 4th or 5th rd and still get a quality WR.

When is the last time we have two legit starting OT's? You win in the trenches so let's finally get the Oline fixed. I would also go OC in rd 2 or 3 as there is several quality ones in this draft. KM should have enough experience at this time that he can make the protection calls if the rookie OC can't handle it. Heck some teams have an OG make the calls.

Freaking fix the Oline and get that unit become a strength of the team.

I would even trade back in the 1st rd if possible because there are 4 OT's that are awesome in this draft.

Obviously we need to address DE, ILB and OLB in FA so we can complete the Offense in the draft.
All 4 of the top OT's in this draft are OT1's in other years. It's insane, and with the 8th pick and a glaring need at RT, and a historically injury-prone LT, not taking one of these guys now to protect Kyler is just irresponsible.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All 4 of the top OT's in this draft are OT1's in other years. It's insane, and with the 8th pick and a glaring need at RT, and a historically injury-prone LT, not taking one of these guys now to protect Kyler is just irresponsible.

I’m quickly coming around on this concept. Murray may be a good find but at the end of the day , Pugh , Sweezy and Shipley(if he is not gone already) could all be gone in a year if not injured this year so having Murray as depth wouldn’t be a bad thing . But we need players on the line soon!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Receivers are sexy but your 22 year old QB potentially having two bookend OT’s? That’s sexier to me... I’m just nervous we’ll end up with the 1/4 that doesn’t work out.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wirfs is your boy then. Natural RT, best in a long time.
Them other brothas can't deny.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this, I just do not see it. Good athlete and nothing wrong with that but I don’t see a top 10 guy. I don’t see anything special when I watch him play. Between him and Kinlaw I can’t decide who will be the bigger bust.

Yikes!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Giants desperately need a LT. Daniel Jones had like the most fumbles of any player in 17 years.

Gettlemen has an obsession with collecting defensive line to the detriment of every other position, so Brown could be a consideration as well.

Its more RT they need. Remmers is FA and Solder has a 13m dead cap hit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a year under the belt, it isn't outlandish to predict 50 to 100 more points with just a few personnel tweaks to this offence.

The true issue is our scoring defence!
I agree. But it’s an interesting thought. Sign a couple of defensive free agents. Then load up on Lamb, an OT , TE , RB and a guard/center to turn this offense into a juggernaut.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Travis LaBoy started for the Titans for many years and was a 2nd round pick. He's not a street free agent or undrafted rookie. Same with Rod Hood. Mike Adams played 4th/5th CB. Aaron Francisco was also tabbed as a backup - Adrian Wilson and Antrel Rolle were the starters. Urban was the 4th receiver.

So, all of the guys you mentioned aren't what I'm talking about. That team started a single rookie, DRC, who was a 1st round pick. They didn't start a single player who was undrafted that year. They didn't start a single guy who they picked up off the street after June 1st cuts or training camp ended.

Yes, knowing all of your players aren't stars is a part of the NFL. We're going to be at the point where we're not even talking about stars, we're talking about actively bad players.

Also, Cassius Marsh wasn't cut "because they acquired Clowney." He wasn't going to start and was cut at the end of training camp. He was a backup and the last guy standing. Not starting material.
You place way too much value at where a player was initially evaluated rather than where they reside today. On both the high and low ends of the spectrum. It totally dilutes what strength your argument may possess.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You place way too much value at where a player was initially evaluated rather than where they reside today. On both the high and low ends of the spectrum. It totally dilutes what strength your argument may possess.
I'm not sure where in that post I'm talking about a player being initially evaluated in any way.

LaBoy and Rod Hood were bonafide NFL starters. The other guys weren't outside of DRC, which is fine.

If you're talking about Cassius Marsh, I don't know what to tell you, it's a continuing evaluation, not just an initial one - he's been in the league six years and just isn't a starting player you can count on.

I've said it in an earlier thread/post, the guys who go through a ton of teams and eventually become major factors, like James Harrison, Wes Welker, and Raheem Mostert, are super rare.

The retention rate of lower draft picks exists for a reason. These players generally fall because they're just not that talented.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where in that post I'm talking about a player being initially evaluated in any way.

LaBoy and Rod Hood were bonafide NFL starters. The other guys weren't outside of DRC, which is fine.

If you're talking about Cassius Marsh, I don't know what to tell you, it's a continuing evaluation, not just an initial one - he's been in the league six years and just isn't a starting player you can count on.

I've said it in an earlier thread/post, the guys who go through a ton of teams and eventually become major factors, like James Harrison, Wes Welker, and Raheem Mostert, are super rare.

The retention rate of lower draft picks exists for a reason. These players generally fall because they're just not that talented.
There is a breakpoint for every player and every position. Dollar for dollar where do you draw the line? Is this guy good enough to pay 1 m ? 2m ? Or do you just say screw it go with a veteran at minimum contract?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Just ran a mock and here is what I got.

8: R1 OT TRISTAN WIRFS IOWA

40: R2 WR JALEN REAGOR TCU

72: R3 S KYLE DUGGER LENOIR-RHYNE

111: R4 LB CAMERON BROWN PENN STATE

153: R5 RB AJ DILLON BOSTON COLLEGE

222: R7 LB JUSTIN STRNAD WAKE FOREST

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Just ran a mock and here is what I got.

8: R1 OT TRISTAN WIRFS IOWA

40: R2 WR JALEN REAGOR TCU

72: R3 S KYLE DUGGER LENOIR-RHYNE

111: R4 LB CAMERON BROWN PENN STATE

153: R5 RB AJ DILLON BOSTON COLLEGE

222: R7 LB JUSTIN STRNAD WAKE FOREST

Sign me up. If we can bring in Brockers or Jefferson even better...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep.

Look at Mark Glowinski of the Colts. Later round pick with the Seahawks and he sucked initially, but caught on with the Colts and now is a pretty good OL.

OL especially is a position that is usually not very well developed coming into the NFL. Some guys take 3 or 4 years to develop now since teams arent running pro style offenses in college anymore.

Justin Murray improved substantially last year. He isnt a great starter, but if the Cardinals stick with him, he could become a solid starter. Anyone remember how embarrassingly bad Massie was his rookie year? He gave up like 12 sacks. Arians didn't play him his second season, played that former Texans RT over him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose