Winter Dreams

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Winter Dreams is a compelling short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about a one-time golf caddie turned laundry store owner (Dexter Green) who dreams about marrying the beautiful, blonde daughter (Judy Jones) of one of the richest members of the Sherry Island Golf Club (in Minnesota). Dexter's Winter Dreams are his visions of wooing and winning the heart of Judy Jones---who, in reality, is so fickle and jaded that she often arrives at a party with one man and surreptitiously leaves the party with another.

It was a very very snowy winter here in Massachusetts this year (record snowfall totals of over nine feet of snow). In fact, it snowed every weekend for over ten weekends straight. My school had six snow days, all of them in three Monday-Tuesday pairs.

Thus, I had much more time than usual to ponder my winter dreams---which is watching our Cardinals hit the NFL Draft jackpot. Just one of these years, I have been hoping that the Cardinals are going to have a bonanza-type draft that will yield a constellation of bright stars.

As many of you did, I pored through countless hours of game tapes and highlight videos. This year, I even spent a good deal of time researching players' backgrounds and watching how well the comported themselves in interviews with the media and at the Combine.

For the first time ever, I was able to watch the Combine in its entirety.

And as many of you did, I became very attached to several of the draftees.

And as time wore on, I narrowed down my choices and in effect created my own draft board---irrespective of Mel Kiper's, Mike Mayock's or Todd McShay's.

My sense of the Cardinals' draft needs may have been quite different than others---for example, having endured the gradual QB erosion that we did last year, I catapulted the QB position to near the very top of the list and spent a good deal of time studying all the QBs in this class.

In addition, for years I have been imploring the Cardinals to draft a WR who could take the top off of opposing defenses---which has become more urgent to me in recent years because of the anxiety I feel about the way CB Richard Sherman and the Seahawks' secondary have dominated and intimidated the Cardinals.

But---you can't just draft a fast WR and think you've solved the problem---you've got to draft a fast WR who can track the ball and catch it over the top of the defense. Otherwise, what's the point?

I feel very strongly that once the Cardinals are able to get the Seahawks' secondary on its heels, then that will be the day when we can start to move past them again atop the NFC West.

Thus, I became enamored with WR Devin Smith of Ohio St. I think he was made to order and immediately so.

At #24, I wanted WR Devin Smith, so much so that I would not even risk trading down.

When the Cardinal picked T D.J. Humphries instead, I wasn't shocked that they bypassed Devin Smith, but I was shocked that they bypassed players who could have a more immediate impact in areas of need.

It also concerns me that seemingly whenever the Cardinals draft a tackle, they immediately want to move him over to the other side of the ball.

D.J. Humhpries is a proto-typical left tackle---he has all the tools.

Now he not only has to learn to flip-flop his footwork and hand position techniques---he has to learn BA's complicated offense---and thus, the chances are, that D.J. Humphries, barring injuries to Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie, will spend the year playing special teams.

At #55---my plan was to hop on QB Garrett Grayson of Colorado St. I think he is the most accurate of all the QBs in this class---and also the niftiest and the toughest in the pocket. He reminds me of a cross between Tom Brady and Philip Rivers. I read that some scouts questioned his arm strength and ability to throw the deep ball---but, after watching hours of tape, I came away convinced in Grayson's ability to put the ball on the money in all phases of the passing game.

At #86---I was desperately hoping for OLB Hau'oli Kikaha (Washington) or combo LB Lorenzo Mauldin (Louisville) here, but the actually went to the Saints at #44 and the Jets at #82 respectively. With them off the board, the next player highest on my list was CB Steven Nelson (Oregon St.). Nelson was outstanding at the Senior Bowl and one of the stickiest cover CBs I've seen in a long time. Nelson went to the Chiefs at #98.

At #123---this pick would have fallen right into my lap because much to my surprise LB Kwon Alexander (LSU) was sitting right there. Of all the LBers I watched---Alexander had the best game speed and range and I felt that he would be a natural in our defense at WILB and as the nickel LB. Alexander went to the Bucs at #124.

At #159---much to my surprise C Andy Gallik was still on the board and he would have been my pick here as he was close to being my pick in round 4. Gallik dropped to the Titans at #208 and they got a steal. I saw every one of his games at BC and I can tell you he is tough, smart and dependable.

At #198---this is the point (6th round) where I would have played my wild card: OLB Zach Wagenmann (Montana). Apparently, Wags broke his foot in a pre-draft workout, but I think he is going to be a very good edge rusher in the NFL because he has the quick first step, and the right kind of bend and burst around the arc. Signed by the Cardinals to a 3 year deal as an undrafted free agent.

At #241---Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas. Inside the tackles-type pounder that we need. Signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent.

At #256---Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk. Can't believe he wasn't drafted. I thought he showed some very good flashes at the Senior Bowl. He has all the physical tools. Signed with the Texans as an undrafted free agent.

This was my Winter Dreams draft---for what it's worth.

Alas, Dexter was jilted by Judy Jones---but he learns, much to his disbelief, that Judy Jones married an abusive philanderer and that now that she has a couple of kids---she's a plain-looking homebody.

In the end, Dexter cries because he has lost the ability to feel. "The dream is over," he laments.

Well, there are no tears for me---I have switched my affections over to the new nest of baby Cardinals. There were ones who got away---but I am learning to like the ones we have just as well and hopefully---in the years to come---even better.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excellent post and reasoning. That's a whole lot of linebackers though.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----I can't imagine anyone loving the game of football more than you do. I remember thread after thread coming from you during that terrible long winter. I am so happy that you aren't looking a piled up dirty snow anymore.

I was amazed at how much information you were able to come up with during that dreadful long cold spell. Now I can see you glued to your computer and looking for any little bit of news you could find about the NFL and any possible Cardinal's prospects.

I am so very happy that you are able to see flowers and green leaves and such again. Enjoy your spring and summer as these 95 players work to become a final 53 man roster.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you said, the Cardinals got Zach Wagenmann and it didn't even cost a pick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch-----I can't imagine anyone loving the game of football more than you do. I remember thread after thread coming from you during that terrible long winter. I am so happy that you aren't looking a piled up dirty snow anymore.

I was amazed at how much information you were able to come up with during that dreadful long cold spell. Now I can see you glued to your computer and looking for any little bit of news you could find about the NFL and any possible Cardinal's prospects.

I am so very happy that you are able to see flowers and green leaves and such again. Enjoy your spring and summer as these 95 players work to become a final 53 man roster.

Thanks, Catfish! You too my friend. ASFN was the place to be every day this off-season---we were all doing our part to try to find the best path to the draft! Love to you and everyone here!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, as opposed to many, I never thought that a QB was a consideration, unless the team has already given up on Thomas, a possibility. Not enough reps to develop a fourth QB, or to carry a fourth on your "53". And I don't think he would clear waivers IF he showed anything in the PS.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had David Johnson in the 3rd, so was very happy with that pick. I really wanted Gallik late; I think he's going to be a monster. I also like Wagenmann so happy we picked him up for free. Kwon Alexander was also a guy I wanted to pick.

I really like Grayson too, but I didn't feel the Cards were going to burn a pick on a QB and I wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd, so with my 3rd round want being David Johnson, I doubted Grayson would be around. He's smart and accurate though, two good QB qualities. :)

In the "what you would have picked" thread I had us taking Wagenmann in 7th, Gallik in 5th and Kwon in the 4th.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...would-have-made-compared-to-cards-221386.html

Last edited:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This damnable war will be over soon and until then I shall keep a candle burning in the window.

Love,
Catfish

:D

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Niice article Mitch.I wanted Lorenzo Mauldin for the Cards.This kid is a football player and he will do anything for the team.There is no quit in the guy.Jets got a damn fine kid.Louisville fans loved him .Zach Wagenmann could be a steal for the Cards.Edge rusher deluxe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn