Winders' Chris Capuano called up to Diamondbacks

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
They are playing a game of musical pitchers. It seems they have no real plan, and are going to ruin these young guys. You can't just keep jerking these young guys up and down. There is no way Capuano should be brought up again right now. He is barely 1 year removed from Tommy John surgery, and needs to pitch every five days at Tucson to get his arm strength back. This team has their head up their a$$.

http://www.azstarnet.com/star/today/30529windersnotes.html

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Dangit! You beat me to it, and you said it all.

Except - could you change your tag line to "GO BRING UP A HITTER!" - I think we're fork-tested and trading away prime yout' for short-term limited gain is wasteful....which means that's probably what they'll do. If we're going to run every young pitcher we've got out there, why the heck NOT try running out a couple of young batters?!

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I was guessing this is what they would do last night. I looked at the boxscore and saw that he only pitched 3 innings last night. They did the same thing with Patterson before he was brought up. I also dont like this. I do not believe Capuano is ready at all. His fastball is about 85 right now. Hes doing well in AAA learning how to pitch without his best stuff, so why bring him to the majors where he may get destroyed?

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
Dangit! You beat me to it, and you said it all.

Except - could you change your tag line to "GO BRING UP A HITTER!" !

I would change it but I forgot how :)

I would like to add a couple other choice words also :)

AZZenny

Reaction score
When I heard the news at 1 PM today, that's a cleaned-up version of what I was saying. We have to have one of the slowest GMs in baseball. Does the guy know how to drive a deal?? Does he have even a rudimentary concept of modern stats??

unc84steve

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
When I heard the news at 1 PM today, that's a cleaned-up version of what I was saying. We have to have one of the slowest GMs in baseball. Does the guy know how to drive a deal?? Does he have even a rudimentary concept of modern stats??
Apparently not.

What I found very disturbing was hearing the comment "Shea Hillenbrand is a 'run producer'."

That's a simple-minded understanding of how runs are scored & games are won & lost. The D'backs problem is scoring runs. (so Joe gets partial credit). The run scoring problem is getting men on base. You've heard the mantra, but I repeat it since it's my stathead religion (I actually find it hard to believe myself) In 2002 the D'backs led the NL in walks, OBP & runs scored--those are all way down.

Shea Hillenbrand won't help. He gets RBI's because he gets a ton of RBI opportunities hitting behind Trot Nixon, Bill Mueller & Manny Ramirez. He's not a special clutch hitter. He makes a bunch of outs. Chad Tracy would have been much better.

ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" captioned Bobby Valentine's praise of BK as "inning eater" both as a reliever & as a starter. It's actually true. He's lasted 5+ innings in every start (even when hit by bat fragments). His mere presence helped stabilize the cascade of moving up pitchers before their time.

Hitters are different. Chad Tracy really deserves a shot the way he's tearing up the PCL. Womack and/or McCracken can have bluffs called by designating them for assignment. Other teams make some bizzare talent decisions--they might get claimed--that would be great (for example the Cardinals bounce So Taguchi & Kerry Robinson up & down; the Cubs have a trio of cronies even worse than ours {{shudders}} Troy O'Leary, Lenny Harris & Tom Goodwin) Otherwise they could work out their issues at Tucson.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn