Wife

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
You'll be in my thoughts, John. Dementia runs strongly on my father's side of the family, and know it has to be very hard on you both.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Hang tough. It's a kick in the balls to hear about times like this but it's even more uplifting to know you're battling the way you are. I think it's safe to say as a group we are all proud of you.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been married 56 years to my wife. Like most any marriages we have had our ups and downs but we have come through it all even though I was gone to often being in the military.

About a year ago my wife developed dementia which is not unlike Alzheimer disease. She still knows who I am but this has been the toughest year of my life including combat in Vietnam. She is never left alone and I still work at age 80. I use a caregiver and take over when I get home from work. I do not know how so many people manage this. I am fortunate in that 30 years ago I purchased Long Term Care Insurance which pays for the Caregiver otherwise I would soon be bankrupt. I am determined to keep her at home as long as possible and she knows who I am. There is no let up with this disease and it will mentally wear you out no matter how tough you think you are. I suggest to all of you to look into Long Term Care Insurance unless you are rich. Very rich. The sports like the Cards and Cubs provide me with some relief on the weekends for which I am eternally grateful. Take care my friends.
Listen to John, folks. He's got it right.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You're a good man John!
My thoughts are with you and your wife.

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
I pray for you, John, and for all caregivers who provide such loving and needed support. Your wife is very blessed to have shared her life with such a dedicated husband. I truly believe that we are never given more than we can handle if we are willing to let others lend a hand at times of need.. Stay strong and may God bless you both.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
God Bless John. Many of us are going through this with close family. Your not alone in your struggles. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your lovely wife.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
John
I don't know you, but I bet you care and love your wife as well as you do because if the situation were reversed, you know she would do the same for you.
What a wonderful example of a marriage you both are - thank you!
Thanks for the advice.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this, John. My grandfather had Alzheimers and, damn, it sucks.

And thank you for the recommendation about long-term care insurance. As someone who is not married and who has no children, I have often thought about how my later years of life will look. Toward the end of his life, my grandfather broke his hip. His own money had run out so, if he went to the hospital to have it fixed, he would have lost his bed in the nicer facility and been shipped to a state run facility. Even if he did go for the surgery, at 95, the docs were unsure if he would survive. The family decided to make him comfortable, which made sense since he had suffered for 10 years already.

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a family member in the same situation. Ive learned from her that she may not always know who everyone is or where she is, but she knows she loves them and thats all that matters.

I am a wealth manager up in scottsdale and the absence of long-term care insurance is the biggest whoe we see in financial plans. If i can help answer any questins for anyone please let me know.

All the best John

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson