Why does Feely get a Free Pass?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anybody know why we don't look to replace Feely? He's not particularly accurate and he rarely gets touchbacks.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody know why we don't look to replace Feely? He's not particularly accurate and he rarely gets touchbacks.
Respectfully disagree. Feely is pretty accurate and (at least vs. GB) almost every kickoff that made the end zone was returned anyway.

Note - The FG Feely missed Fri. night was a 53-yard attempt. Very few kickers have a high percentage of accuracy from that far.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Because he played well for us last year?

To be fair he was better last year than the year before, where he was near the bottom in both accuracy and touchback percentage, but he also plays at minimum 8 games in an ideal kicking environment.

I'm not arguing that he's the worst kicker, but I think we could definitely upgrade.

seesred

Reaction score
We just haven't found anyone better. Brought in a kid this year an looked what he did Friday. All teams want to upgrade the kicker. We have done that a few times over the years.

GBR

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We just haven't found anyone better. Brought in a kid this year an looked what he did Friday. All teams want to upgrade the kicker. We have done that a few times over the years.

GBR

Yep. Feely is fine. Wasted energy to find a veteran replacement. Had a nice streak of ~19 consecutive makes at one point. Don't care that he doesn't get touchbacks because our kick coverage rarely allows big kicks. Plus, it's rare to find a kicker who can boot the ball and be accurate; and when they're there, teams won't part with them.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part the guy has been money on clutch kicks and kicked at a high % for most of his time here. My only complaint is kick off distance. Im fine keeping him.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When I think of Feely I always think of the Buffalo game last year. He lined up and made an incredible 61-yarder, but then he missed a 38 yarder that would've won the game. I always thought he was a major upgrade over Rackers, who was anything but clutch in his time here.

I like Feely, and find it refreshing we're only complaining about the kicking game right now. Feels like the team has it together so far, which is great.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cards picked up some special teams aces this off season. I would think if the opponent decided to return the kickoff their would be more opportunity to create and recover turnovers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
When I think of Feely I always think of the Buffalo game last year. He lined up and made an incredible 61-yarder, but then he missed a 38 yarder that would've won the game. I always thought he was a major upgrade over Rackers, who was anything but clutch in his time here.

I like Feely, and find it refreshing we're only complaining about the kicking game right now. Feels like the team has it together so far, which is great.

The 38 yard try was tipped at the line.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh!! Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for problems. Why would anyone want to replace a veteran used to the pressure with a unproven kid? As long as Feely is kicking on par with what he did last season, don't mess with success.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Unless I'm misreading the stats from CBS sports Feely had the 8th best kickoff distance so far this preseason. Also top 5 in the number of yards the opponent go on each return.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/t...1=7&_3:col_2=7

I for one think our coverage teams are going to be VERY good so let the opponent bring out the kickoff. I bet the number of times they start inside their own 20 will outnumber how many times the get past the 20 yd line.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's coming off a 25/28 season with a long of 61 yards and you want to replace him? Damn, are you secretly a New York sports writer?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
In actuality, Feely's lack of length on they kickoff is a non-factor. The fact that he often ends up placing the ball from the goal line to the five yard line, is a plus, in that BA has developed a really good kick-cover group. There will be many times that we will stop the returner before he gets to the twenty. Meanwhile the heavy hitters will always have their returners starting at the twenty. This could translate to many won field position situations during the season. Remember, situational awareness is one of BA's trade marks.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Don't worry. If Keim/Arians decides to ditch Feely and bring in someone else Feely will become a bum overnight. :p

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Damn, are you secretly a New York sports writer?

Damn bro, you ruined my secret!

Feely was ok last year, pretty bad the year before, and he's getting old. I don't see the problem with exploring legitimate competition. (something that is apparently ok with every other position, but say anything about Feely, and you're Benedict Arnold)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...I don't see the problem with exploring legitimate competition. (something that is apparently ok with every other position, but say anything about Feely, and you're Benedict Arnold)
I don't think any of us aren't OK with exploring legitimate competition at the kicking position.

It's the unnecessary negative commentary that went along with it.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism or bringing in someone with a tad more talent than Billy Batson (note - same name as the young Capt. Marvel), but I see no benefit in unnecessarily dragging down our kicker when he's done a better than average job and we'll most likely need to depend on him to win a couple during the upcoming season.

As far as bringing in new blood "because Feely is getting older", no problem with that either - but be careful what you wish for. (i.e. you don't want to bring in a Derek Anderson to replace an aging Kurt Warner "because it looks good in theory").

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Man, anyone who would consider replacing Feely is clearly an idiot.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure why you are so upset, people just said they still think he is good. No one actually attacked you or your thoughts, they just said why they disagree.

I am all for competition but expect Feely to beat out carpenter. Feely lacks kickoff strength but he is pretty good on field goals.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure why you are so upset, people just said they still think he is good. No one actually attacked you or your thoughts, they just said why they disagree.

I am all for competition but expect Feely to beat out carpenter. Feely lacks kickoff strength but he is pretty good on field goals.
What is competition going to do? Make him make more field goals in practice? Unless you keep both kickers, the competition is somehow going to last into the season?

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Upset? I'm thrilled, Carpenter has already beaten him once for a job, and I expect him to do it again.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yes, somehow Carpenter needed a job before the Cards signed him.

Meh, they drafted a rookie and he was on pace to make 3 mil. As TI says, "Let the best man win partna!"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson