Who's to blame for the offensive mess?

Who's to blame for ASU's awful offense?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who are you blaming for ASU's offensive offense?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew. Where to start?

1. Offensive line;
2. Carpenter has regressed.

This really looks to have been a transition year, with plenty of blame to spread around, but with reasons explaining the weaknesses. The future still looks better.

HooverDam

Reaction score
All parties share some responsibility (Erickson, Carpenter, Olsen, the Oline), but I put most of it on Olsen. His play calling is bland at best and he seems to be obsessed with trying the same things over and over. Also as the offensive coordinator Im sure he has a fairly big responsibility in recruiting, and he clearly hasn't done a great job (nor has Erickson) in getting in enough quality RBs or Olineman.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's a talent issue. ASU's offense was fine last year when they had two NFL players in Ryan Torian and Mike Pollack. Not many units playing in power conferences can be successful with no real NFL prospects.

ASU and Erickson really, really need to hit on a RB and a QB in this recruiting class. And a couple more OL and WR's might not hurt either. Their defense looks to be formidable in a couple years but you need to score points to compete in this conference.

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I put the blame mostly on Olsen... but then it ultimately must fall on Erickson, since he is the HEAD coach.

Has anyone else noticed Rudy Carpenter's flabby gut? I kid you not, it hangs over his belt! You would think he would have come into the season in the best shape of his life, hoping for a chance to impress NFL scouts. What a loser. I sit on front of a computer all day and have a flatter stomach.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the truth on Olson, folks: He's not the offensive coordinator. He's the assistant head coach and QBs coach. Erickson is the offensive coordinator.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
These were still Dirk Koetter's recruits that were brought into play his offensive system. Koetter set this team back several years with the help of Lisa Love's extension. There were no competent runningbacks and Rudy Carpenter should have given way to Sullivan when he was hurt. Not to deflect blame from the current administration but I always like to see a coach be able to coach his system with his recruits before I start tossing them in front of the bus.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These were still Dirk Koetter's recruits that were brought into play his offensive system. Koetter set this team back several years with the help of Lisa Love's extension. There were no competent runningbacks and Rudy Carpenter should have given way to Sullivan when he was hurt. Not to deflect blame from the current administration but I always like to see a coach be able to coach his system with his recruits before I start tossing them in front of the bus.

All things considered, I feel Koetter left this team decent talent. If they failed at anything it was recruiting competent offensive tackles, but the skill talent isn't short anything.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All things considered, I feel Koetter left this team decent talent. If they failed at anything it was recruiting competent offensive tackles, but the skill talent isn't short anything.

You think there was talent at runningback? I think this was the worst running seasons I have seen in 20 years.

I like the WR and linebackers, everything else has been spoty at best. I have never been too impressed with Omar Bolden, but I think he was an Erickson recruit

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think there was talent at runningback? I think this was the worst running seasons I have seen in 20 years.

DeWitty and Herring would be 1,000 yard rushers behind reasonable offensive lines. Nance is capable as a backup and change-of-pace back.

The blocking over the B and C gaps have been the worst I've seen at ASU since Marmie was head coach. Part of it is a lack of legitimate tight ends, but a bigger role is a lack of real-life offensive tackles. We have 5 guards on the line at any given time -- and not always good guards.

The passing game as a unit is broken. It's not one thing -- not Rudy, not the receivers, not the pass protection. It's everything. Part of me wonders if Erickson's scheme and game plan is so old everyone knows it and DCs anticipate the routes. Maybe it's just me, but if our receivers aren't seeing much daylight on the slants, it's not for a lack of speed. Corners are jumping those routes because they know when to anticipate them based on down and distance.

The teaching and the game plan prep needs a world-class audit!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn