Who is Kyler Murray?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Kliff can’t possibly be a CP3 because he’s never won anything. And he’s not on the field.

JJ Watt was supposed to be the CP3, but you can’t lead from the IR. Also, it’s not like Watt has actually ever won anything either.

The sad truth is you hope to draft a CP3 with the first overall pick, especially one who’s a QB.

Baby Yoda needs a Yoda

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Kliff can’t possibly be a CP3 because he’s never won anything. And he’s not on the field.

JJ Watt was supposed to be the CP3, but you can’t lead from the IR. Also, it’s not like Watt has actually ever won anything either.

The sad truth is you hope to draft a CP3 with the first overall pick, especially one who’s a QB.
CP3 hasn’t won anything either tho

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 hasn’t won anything either tho

simplified thinking. CP3 has single-handedly turned like three franchises around and always has his teams in the hunt. You don't have to be a champion to be a leader, but you have to have shown at least the ability to win and make your teammates around you better. CP3 has done that his entire career.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I thought Colt McCoy was supposed to be his CP3? Except Colt has never won anything ...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Colt McCoy was supposed to be his CP3? Except Colt has never won anything ...

I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "CP3" is supposed to be. CP3 is acknoweldged as one of the best leaders in the NBA and a guy multiple playoff/division winners have been built around. If the Cardinals thought a long-time journeymen backup QB was going to be their CP3, well, we're seeing the results the second half of the season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be fair it doesn't require a "Been there. Done that" player.

If a player isn't studying tape enough the HC should be on his case.

I wonder how this ties in with Larry? I seem to recall there were reports that "Kyler doesn't listen to Larry" or something like that. Larry is probably the guy you want mentoring Kyler. They had 2 years together and the only story we heard was Kyler doesn't listen to him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
simplified thinking. CP3 has single-handedly turned like three franchises around and always has his teams in the hunt. You don't have to be a champion to be a leader, but you have to have shown at least the ability to win and make your teammates around you better. CP3 has done that his entire career.
You’re right about the champion/leader part, but I hope he’s both. Hopefully he’s our Steph or Kawhi/Giannis more than CP3.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
“It only I didn’t have an ouchie… And if only I had pro-bowlers surrounding me…”. Said no too QB, ever.

Not saying Kyler has said this either. But those defending him in this and other threads sure have.
Every QB plays hurt and banged up. Every QB has to deal with other players being hurt, out or simply under-talented.
And every QB has proven to be a leader and consistent prime-time winner, was devoted to their craft, INCLUDING watching hours of tape.

Frankly, I’m not at all surprised by Kyler’s comments. They merely confirm my already grave concerns about him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh sure. Your so busy trying to play “gotcha” your not paying attention

Your most talented players aren’t always your leaders on a team you should know that. I’m seeing a complete system failure here.

Like I said you don’t like him, you don’t want to pay him then what’s your plan to replace him? I can’t tell you what I tell men who bring me only problems and not solutions I’d get banned.
You're :BIM: That was super painful to read :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh sure. Your so busy trying to play “gotcha” your not paying attention

Your most talented players aren’t always your leaders on a team you should know that. I’m seeing a complete system failure here.

Like I said you don’t like him, you don’t want to pay him then what’s your plan to replace him? I can’t tell you what I tell men who bring me only problems and not solutions I’d get banned.
I don’t have time to write speculative fiction. What will likely happen is we’ll extend Murray, fire Kliff next year (Jan 2023) after this same thing happens, and go through the experience again with another coach.

Only a coach with the gravitas to tell Keim and Michael that Murray won’t work and be believed could survive that, and I doubt Keim will hire another HC that could overshadow him.

We may be stuck in a more productive and entertaining version of the Jake Plummer/Jay Cutler vortex. It’s up to Murray to decide that he can do more to take the team where he wants to go; otherwise he can point to his three high school state championships (lol) as the only evidence he’s a winner.

My preference would be to exercise his fifth year option and put the franchise tag on him at least once and see what happens.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t have time to write speculative fiction. What will likely happen is we’ll extend Murray, fire Kliff next year (Jan 2023) after this same thing happens, and go through the experience again with another coach.

Only a coach with the gravitas to tell Keim and Michael that Murray won’t work and be believed could survive that, and I doubt Keim will hire another HC that could overshadow him.

We may be stuck in a more productive and entertaining version of the Jake Plummer/Jay Cutler vortex. It’s up to Murray to decide that he can do more to take the team where he wants to go; otherwise he can point to his three high school state championships (lol) as the only evidence he’s a winner.

My preference would be to exercise his fifth year option and put the franchise tag on him at least once and see what happens.

I agree. It’s the whole an apprentice can’t teach an apprentice thing going on.

People brought up the Suns and I see the same thing here. They were already trending up but brought in Monty and CP3 to show the young guys the way.

Who’s our veteran voice on offense? Coaching and playing? We don’t have one. Young guys have to be shown the ropes in any profession. It’s the blind leading the blind

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right about the champion/leader part, but I hope he’s both. Hopefully he’s our Steph or Kawhi/Giannis more than CP3.
Well, yeah, that goes without saying I’d rather he’s a champion in addition to just being a great leader/player.

Unfortunately right now, he’s none of those things. He’s a good player with great upside but he’s going to need to work on a lot of his game on and off the field if he’s ever going to be all of the above.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree. It’s the whole an apprentice can’t teach an apprentice thing going on.

People brought up the Suns and I see the same thing here. They were already trending up but brought in Monty and CP3 to show the young guys the way.

Who’s our veteran voice on offense? Coaching and playing? We don’t have one. Young guys have to be shown the ropes in any profession. It’s the blind leading the blind

I mean in terms of players, it should absolutely be DHop. A seasoned veteran still near the very top of the league at his position in terms of performance. He should have the credibility necessary to make himself heard.

I guess we'll see over the remainder of the season how good are the coaching staff and team leaders. In almost all Cardinals' seasons past, a loss in week 16 would have likely sealed our fate in terms of what can be accomplished this season (e.g. making the playoffs, etc.).

But for 2021, even if we get our @ss kicked tomorrow, it appears we'll have at least three more meaningful games this season. Pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean in terms of players, it should absolutely be DHop. A seasoned veteran still near the very top of the league at his position in terms of performance. He should have the credibility necessary to make himself heard.

I guess we'll see over the remainder of the season how good are the coaching staff and team leaders. In almost all Cardinals' seasons past, a loss in week 16 would have likely sealed our fate in terms of what can be accomplished this season (e.g. making the playoffs, etc.).

But for 2021, even if we get our @ss kicked tomorrow, it appears we'll have at least three more meaningful games this season.
DHop has never won a thing in his life, is a bit of a diva and isn’t exactly known for his leadership.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DHop has never won a thing in his life, is a bit of a diva and isn’t exactly known for his leadership.
Yeah. We explicitly brought in AJ Green to provide leadership in that room. Lol.

If Kyler didn’t listen to Larry over the past two years, I dunno who you think the cards can bring in that he will listen to.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ya'all are harping on his 'not watching film' quote. There's also a lot of good stuff in the article. KK2 calls him 'an introverted cat' who'd rather be home playing Call of Duty than out partying.

“I knew what I wanted to do in my life,” Murray said. “In order to get there, going out and doing drugs, none of that was for me. I’ve never smoked in my life. I want to be the greatest to ever play. That’s always been my mentality.”

His favorite movie is The Great Gatsby ??

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ya'all are harping on his 'not watching film' quote. There's also a lot of good stuff in the article. KK2 calls him 'an introverted cat' who'd rather be home playing Call of Duty than out partying.

“I knew what I wanted to do in my life,” Murray said. “In order to get there, going out and doing drugs, none of that was for me. I’ve never smoked in my life. I want to be the greatest to ever play. That’s always been my mentality.”

His favorite movie is The Great Gatsby ??
This is why we're harping. The above bolded is clearly a lie, or at best a misrepresentation of the truth, because he clearly DOESN'T want to be the greatest to ever play. He wants to work hard physically and somehow let that CARRY him to greatness. If he well and truly wanted to be the "greatest to ever play," he would be watching all the film he could get his hands on. Instead he's letting all that talent go to waste. Kind of like making a great wine but not allowing it to age--not doing everything within your power to make it great. SMH at KM

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But for 2021, even if we get our @ss kicked tomorrow, it appears we'll have at least three more meaningful games this season. Pretty crazy.

Talent doesn’t equal leadership. WR are rarely leaders in the locker room. We had Fitz here and even he was never a vocal guy just a quiet lead by example type.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. We explicitly brought in AJ Green to provide leadership in that room. Lol.

If Kyler didn’t listen to Larry over the past two years, I dunno who you think the cards can bring in that he will listen to.

Larry was never a vocal leader. We had plenty of really bad years with him here. Everybody wants to make him out to be this leader or teacher and that just wasn’t him.

How many times did we hear on this board bring him in Larry can mentor him

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Larry was never a vocal leader. We had plenty of really bad years with him here. Everybody wants to make him out to be this leader or teacher and that just wasn’t him.

How many times did we hear on this board bring him in Larry can mentor him
Larry wasn’t a vocal rah rah leader, but he set an example of how to study, work on your body, etc., etc.

What would be your plan?

Reactions: PJ1

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a couple more quick thought. It‘s my experience the way you learn to read specific defenses is to watch films. I think of a guy like Warner, who lived on films, then went out and chewed up defenses. That brings me to point 2. Maybe this is why Murray rarely audibles. Warner would often get to the line and change the play. If you can’t do that when the opponent is in their best defense for the called play, your odds of success are slimmer. Warner was typically attacking weaknesses; Murray may often be attacking strengths. That makes life tougher.

I think he audibles more than you think he does because both Kliff and McCoy have commented on precisely that.

I also think our base offense has plays that are basically options, RPO, so he's almost audibling on the bulk of the plays by reading the defense at the LOS or even after the snap.

The one drive against Detroit where we had a bunch of good runs and then threw the ball repeatedly in the redzone, Kliff was asked about that exact thing why didn't you keep running and he said several of those runs were Kyler changing the play at the LOS based on the front he saw.

Yes it concerns me that Kyler apparently said he doesn't watch lots of film, I can't read the story so I don't know the whole thing but that's not a good thing

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry wasn’t a vocal rah rah leader, but he set an example of how to study, work on your body, etc., etc.

What would be your plan?

I’ve already said it multiple times in this thread and even agreed with you on bringing in older veterans and coaches

Reaction score
Yeh, it's an issue for certain. . . Being the best athlete in a room only gets you so far and that point is when everyone in the room was/is the best athlete in the room.

Murray is still young enough that his habits could change, but for now this for certain is not a good thing!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn