Who is Kyler Murray?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here's an interesting video that is somewhat related to this thread.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This explains everything.

"I am naturally gifted. I don't need to put the work in" is the tag line of everyone that fails to reach their potential.

You think Tom Brady, even after all this time in the league, isn't studying his ass off every week?
I just can’t get over the “I was blessed to see things before they happen” comment. No. You weren’t. If that were the case you’d be the beat player in the history of football with no errors. Right now not only aren’t you the best football player ever, you’re not the best quarterback ever, you’re not the beat quarterback this season, you’re not even the best quarterback in your division. Get your arse in the film room and improve yourself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair it doesn't require a "Been there. Done that" player.

If a player isn't studying tape enough the HC should be on his case.

I wonder how this ties in with Larry? I seem to recall there were reports that "Kyler doesn't listen to Larry" or something like that. Larry is probably the guy you want mentoring Kyler. They had 2 years together and the only story we heard was Kyler doesn't listen to him.
By almost every account Larry was never a vocal leader. He wouldn’t have taken in that role even if begged to do so.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just can’t get over the “I was blessed to see things before they happen” comment. No. You weren’t. If that were the case you’d be the beat player in the history of football with no errors. Right now not only aren’t you the best football player ever, you’re not the best quarterback ever, you’re not the beat quarterback this season, you’re not even the best quarterback in your division. Get your arse in the film room and improve yourself.

It did seem the type of comment from someone who has been surrounded by people who tell him what he wants to hear. Pumping up his tyres. Reverential.

Rather than people prepared to tell him home truths.

Even if Kyler is "blessed" there are 31 teams out there plotting his downfall and investing significant resources. How does he plan to keep improving and developing?

That comment worried me.

The other was Kliff saying "he didn't know" why we were playing better away than at home. I'd want our HC to know intimately what makes us tick, what our KPIs are, and to recognise instantly what's missing.

If he doesn't know how can he fix it?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure speculation... Kliff watches film, sets game plan, Kyler makes his own game plan as he sees it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean in terms of players, it should absolutely be DHop. A seasoned veteran still near the very top of the league at his position in terms of performance. He should have the credibility necessary to make himself heard.

I guess we'll see over the remainder of the season how good are the coaching staff and team leaders. In almost all Cardinals' seasons past, a loss in week 16 would have likely sealed our fate in terms of what can be accomplished this season (e.g. making the playoffs, etc.).

But for 2021, even if we get our @ss kicked tomorrow, it appears we'll have at least three more meaningful games this season. Pretty crazy.
Not hop’s personality. He’s more a “got your back” buddy than a locker room leader.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ya'all are harping on his 'not watching film' quote. There's also a lot of good stuff in the article. KK2 calls him 'an introverted cat' who'd rather be home playing Call of Duty than out partying.

“I knew what I wanted to do in my life,” Murray said. “In order to get there, going out and doing drugs, none of that was for me. I’ve never smoked in my life. I want to be the greatest to ever play. That’s always been my mentality.”

His favorite movie is The Great Gatsby ??
Have a difficult time connecting “I want to be the greatest to ever play. That’s been my mentality.” To I don’t want to put in the time in the film room.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think he audibles more than you think he does because both Kliff and McCoy have commented on precisely that.

I also think our base offense has plays that are basically options, RPO, so he's almost audibling on the bulk of the plays by reading the defense at the LOS or even after the snap.

The one drive against Detroit where we had a bunch of good runs and then threw the ball repeatedly in the redzone, Kliff was asked about that exact thing why didn't you keep running and he said several of those runs were Kyler changing the play at the LOS based on the front he saw.

Yes it concerns me that Kyler apparently said he doesn't watch lots of film, I can't read the story so I don't know the whole thing but that's not a good thing
you may be right but other QBs when changing a play typically turn their heads to both sides and repeat the new call down the line, otherwise penalties often follow. I just don’t see Murray do that often. I’m not sure I think of the RPO choice as an audible but hopefully reading the defense influences that choice.

Reaction score
This is why we're harping. The above bolded is clearly a lie, or at best a misrepresentation of the truth, because he clearly DOESN'T want to be the greatest to ever play. He wants to work hard physically and somehow let that CARRY him to greatness. If he well and truly wanted to be the "greatest to ever play," he would be watching all the film he could get his hands on. Instead he's letting all that talent go to waste. Kind of like making a great wine but not allowing it to age--not doing everything within your power to make it great. SMH at KM
Why is one a lie & not the other?

Reaction score
Has anyone heard sound bites that this was what he said in relevance to game planning for opponents? I know the NYT requires a membership so I didn't click on the link.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. We explicitly brought in AJ Green to provide leadership in that room. Lol.

If Kyler didn’t listen to Larry over the past two years, I dunno who you think the cards can bring in that he will listen to.
So he doesn’t watch film and he doesn’t take the advice of experienced and very successful teammates. What could possibly go wrong?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Because you can't be the best if you don't want to put the work in to get there. You can pretend you want to be the best, though.
So cardinalish to have a QB this talented that thinks he's too good for that nonsense. Just imagine what he could be if he was as dedicated as the Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner of the world. I posted an article years ago about what CP right after he got home from a game to begin prep for next Sunday. It was crazy and when he retired he said he missed so much if his wife and kids things over the years.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Found it wasn't quite as I remembered, because it was after a Monday night game. So short week, but still. Great read

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damned himself? To what? Getting kicked off the island? Good grief
To legit criticism, especially after back to back poor to middling second half performances the last two seasons.

This really isn’t hard to understand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Has anyone heard sound bites that this was what he said in relevance to game planning for opponents? I know the NYT requires a membership so I didn't click on the link.
He made it clear he doesn’t watch much film. The quote is an accurate reflection of the article.
Here‘s one more take that might give you insight in to how he’s sees his skill level.
“But as he watched some of the world’s best soccer players, Murray pondered an alternate future, not in football but in fútbol. Turning to his godfather, Mark Johnson, he asked how many years it would take him to be as good as Ronaldo, who, after all, had practiced his entire life to get to be Ronaldo. Johnson, weighing Murray’s athleticism against his inexperience, posited four, maybe five.
Nah, Murray said — it wouldn’t take that long.
“And he was dead serious,” Johnson said. “That’s how Kyler thinks.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He made it clear he doesn’t watch much film. The quote is an accurate reflection of the article.
Here‘s one more take that might give you insight in to how he’s sees his skill level.
“But as he watched some of the world’s best soccer players, Murray pondered an alternate future, not in football but in fútbol. Turning to his godfather, Mark Johnson, he asked how many years it would take him to be as good as Ronaldo, who, after all, had practiced his entire life to get to be Ronaldo. Johnson, weighing Murray’s athleticism against his inexperience, posited four, maybe five.
Nah, Murray said — it wouldn’t take that long.
“And he was dead serious,” Johnson said. “That’s how Kyler thinks.”
Kyler thinks he could become the greatest soccer player of all time within... eh forget it.

The less I hear from Kyler at this point, the better. Hope is game on the field starts to match his talk off it like it did earlier this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because you can't be the best if you don't want to put the work in to get there. You can pretend you want to be the best, though.
Well you can want to. Just not enough to do enough to get there.

I want to have six pack abs. But not enough to stop drinking soda. The desire is there, just not quite great enough.