Who is Kyler Murray?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think Mr B needs to hire Peyton Manning to teach Murray how to learn to be a QB. If there is one player on a team that should be breaking down game film more than anyone it’s the quarterback.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man this is very similar to Ayton a year ago. Entering his third year, Ayton was just supremely confident in his own abilities and the lack of need to work beyond what god has given him. Ayton said he had never watched any tape on his opponents or historically good big men til the bubble. Even after that he rarely watched film. I will never forget the Dominayton tattoo without ever making the playoffs or an All Star Game. Celebrate when you made it...

Then came CP3 and he challenged him. He made him work. Even still, we just see scratches of the true potential behind the talent.

I do believe Murray has a higher drive than Ayton, but you can't discount the similarities in effort. Maybe it's a generational thing. Someone needs to tell Murray if he wants to be "Dominayton", then this is what needs to happen. Clearly Kliff is no Monty.

From my end:

Darkside Chris: I am waiting for Murray to win a big game. He has beaten great teams but never when it matters. He wants every shot to be a right cross but the jabs are what wins the bout. What could he really be if he just took what was given?

Lightside Chris: He is the second best QB in Cards history. He works at the physical side all the time and it shows on the field. What could he really be if he just changed his studying habits?

Realistic Chris: Both are correct. Murray is the 2nd best QB in Cardinals history and only himself will and is keeping him from being first.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Man this is very similar to Ayton a year ago. Entering his third year, Ayton was just supremely confident in his own abilities and the lack of need to work beyond what god has given him. Ayton said he had never watched any tape on his opponents or historically good big men til the bubble. Even after that he rarely watched film. I will never forget the Dominayton tattoo without ever making the playoffs or an All Star Game. Celebrate when you made it...

Then came CP3 and he challenged him. He made him work. Even still, we just see scratches of the true potential behind the talent.

I do believe Murray has a higher drive than Ayton, but you can't discount the similarities in effort. Maybe it's a generational thing. Someone needs to tell Murray if he wants to be "Dominayton", then this is what needs to happen. Clearly Kliff is no Monty.

From my end:

Darkside Chris: I am waiting for Murray to win a big game. He has beaten great teams but never when it matters. He wants every shot to be a right cross but the jabs are what wins the bout. What could he really be if he just took what was given?

Lightside Chris: He is the second best QB in Cards history. He works at the physical side all the time and it shows on the field. What could he really be if he just changed his studying habits?

Realistic Chris: Both are correct. Murray is the 2nd best QB in Cardinals history and only himself will and is keeping him from being first.

Difference is Ayton figured out rather quickly that he needed to become a student of the game. On top of that, Ayton is one of the most coachable players in the NBA, so deficits like that are correctable.

We're into year 3 of Kyler and he's still not dissecting film? Goodnss. Carson Palmer needs to spend some time with him. Is Kyler receptie to critical feedback/?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very U of A take on Ayton.

They tried to trade him pre bubble and he was benched

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From my end:

Ayton is exactly who I was thinking of. The issue is the Cards don’t have a Monty/CP3 combo to kick Kyler’s head into gear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difference is Ayton figured out rather quickly that he needed to become a student of the game. On top of that, Ayton is one of the most coachable players in the NBA, so deficits like that are correctable.

We're into year 3 of Kyler and he's still not dissecting film? Goodnss. Carson Palmer needs to spend some time with him. Is Kyler receptie to critical feedback/?
No. Monty said it wasn’t until just LAST season that Ayton started watching tape, showing up early and late. That was his third season.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you want a better idea of who he is I recommend the piece in today’s New York Times. Here’s a sample, “I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”
He was not wrong, he sees so much ... pressures than there actually are.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BLAHAHHAA not hurt…. And total junk conjecture.

Now he openly admits that he doesn’t study or watch film like he should and you could give a crap less. Laughable.

I mean I kind of don’t.

Do you know he’s not hurt? I think it’s pretty obvious. All of a sudden he’s just air mailing everything? That’s comes from not planting and driving.

He’s also not running at all.

I think it’s obvious his ankle is still bothering him, but that’s my opinion

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, he either doesn’t care enough about the game to the work studying the great ones do or he’s too brittle to make it through another season.

Either way that’s a mental or physical problem moving forward, no?

Yeah it’s def not a good look. He certainly has enough talent and if we put a team around him we can be serious contenders.

This entire team seems to have fallen off a cliff

But I mean Trent Dilfer has the same number of Rings as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

1 is all I need.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

From my end:

Agree with all of this. The crazy thing is that cheese and I were crowing years ago that both the suns and cards finally had what they’d been seeking for their entire existence: homegrown stud center (picked #1) and homegrown stud QB (picked #1). And then we saw some separation . . . the Dominayton stuff you point out and the kyler making a pro bowl. We thought, “at least we got one of the two! Ironically that’s kind of listing back in the other direction now with Ayton’s playoffs and his recent play - the monty/Paul combo has been monumental. While concurrently we are seeing a murray-lead cards team slide to a second consecutive season and now these comments come out that I doubt we’ve ever heard from any modern QB great. Kliff ain’t monty. And who in the world on this offense can possibly be Paul? No one I see. Hop ain’t that dude.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah it’s def not a good look. He certainly has enough talent and if we put a team around him we can be serious contenders.

This entire team seems to have fallen off a cliff

But I mean Trent Dilfer has the same number of Rings as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

1 is all I need.
If he’s not watching film what makes you so sure? If he has to be surrounded by the same amount of talent as Brad Johnson why pay him $45 million a year?

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murray should be modeling after the best at their craft. QBs like Brady and Manning last a long time at a high level because they are bright and live and breathe film.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

And by “quickly” you mean after his second year where he was suspended for 25 games and likely cost the team a playoff slot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we please not turn this into an Ayton thread. We’re all in agreement that he’s taken a really good step this year.

Kyler looked early like he had taken a HUGE step... and then the Prinetime games and injuries and more primetime games have shown some regression. Let’s see if he can turn it around and on like Ayton did in the playoffs.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he’s not watching film what makes you so sure? If he has to be surrounded by the same amount of talent as Brad Johnson why pay him $45 million a year?

If that’s the going rate for a QB you pay it. Even if he’s not watching film guys that talented at that position don’t grow on trees they are very far and few between

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reading the paragraph before these quotes in article paints statement in a whole different light. McCoy was recalling an practice instance where K1 thought if Rams presented a certain coverage he could throw over middle to Maxx in a play which had Edmonds as primary option out of backfield. He was so confident as soon he got the coverage that he didn't look @ Edmonds & threw to Maxx for TD. His response "I don't watch tape for 24hrs straight" etc is saying that idea didn't come from him watching tape like a madman but visualizing in his mind smdh. Posting just certain quotes from paywalled article making mountain out of mole hill now

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton is a high end role player while Kyler is supposed to be a franchise player at the most difficult position in sports. For the Cards sake I sure as hell hope they don’t have the same mentality.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is a high end role player while Kyler is supposed to be a franchise player at the most difficult position in sports. For the Cards sake I sure as hell hope they don’t have the same mentality.
But Ayton was also the #1 pick in the draft right? I hope Kyler doesn’t follow the same mentality, but damn that says a lot about Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the paragraph before these quotes in article paints statement in a whole different light. McCoy was recalling an practice instance where K1 thought if Rams presented a certain coverage he could throw over middle to Maxx in a play which had Edmonds as primary option out of backfield. He was so confident as soon he got the coverage that he didn't look @ Edmonds & threw to Maxx for TD. His response "I don't watch tape for 24hrs straight" etc is saying that idea didn't come from him watching tape like a madman but visualizing in his mind smdh. Posting just certain quotes from paywalled article making mountain out of mole hill now

Ah... so he’s actually some kind of genius who craps on watching tape. Got it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But Ayton was also the #1 pick in the draft right? I hope Kyler doesn’t follow the same mentality, but damn that says a lot about Ayton.

Drafting is just so much more different in the NBA. They’re basically teenagers getting projected on physical gifts. If Ayton was the best player on a team (as Kyler is) that team would be in the cellar.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson