Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Charlie Strong at South Florida is 6-0

I could see Strong as an option if he wants to get back into the Power 5. If Taggart would bolt USF for Oregon, I could see Strong doing the same. I doubt Florida is going to pursue him.

Would Dino Babers leave Syracuse to come back west?

Babers has a good thing going at Syracuse, but it's hard to recruit northern New York. But even as a former UofA coordinator, I'm not sure how much I would've wanted him if we were looking to fire RichRod

I still think he is safe but last night wad an ugly home game. They need 2 more wins to be bowl eligible and realistically 3 games to get them since I simply can't see beating U of A this year...man it pains me to say that.

Colorado and Oregon State should be Ws for ASU, so there's your bowl eligibility. I don't know what Anderson's expectations are. Honest question as I really haven't been paying attention: Is a low-tier bowl enough to save Graham's job?

Also, even though UofA is the better team, don't count out ASU playing balls-out. I think we embarrassed ASU last season by running the same three plays last year in the 2nd half and that's enough to want revenge. Especially at SDS, I don't feel comfortable about the game.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chip Kelly reportedly has interest in ASU for some reason. Can ASU actually get a coach that Florida and UCLA are trying to get?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-florida-ucla-turns-down-tennessee/888551001/

Kelly is also believed to be intrigued by a potential opportunity at Arizona State, where Todd Graham’s status is tenuous. The Sun Devils have a relationship with Adidas, but that might not be as difficult an issue with Knight.

The Knight comment refers to an earlier paragraph.

A potential sticking point with UCLA is the school’s association with Under Armour, because of Kelly’s close relationship with Nike founder Phil Knight, who considers Under Armour a bitter rival.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Chip Kelly reportedly has interest in ASU for some reason. Can ASU actually get a coach that Florida and UCLA are trying to get?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-florida-ucla-turns-down-tennessee/888551001/

Kelly is also believed to be intrigued by a potential opportunity at Arizona State, where Todd Graham’s status is tenuous. The Sun Devils have a relationship with Adidas, but that might not be as difficult an issue with Knight.

The Knight comment refers to an earlier paragraph.

A potential sticking point with UCLA is the school’s association with Under Armour, because of Kelly’s close relationship with Nike founder Phil Knight, who considers Under Armour a bitter rival.
Kelly would be great at ASU, but I just don't see him passing up UCLA, or Florida, for that matter. Recruiting at those schools is infinitely easier than it is at ASU...which will be a major factor. Guessing ASU will push hard for Kevin Sumlin once he's out at T&M.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU is a bargaining Chip for Kelly. Trying to drive up his price. I cannot see any way ASU beats out Florida or UCLA.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Sumlin would be a wash, he is very similar to Graham. He is an offense guy whereas Graham is a defensive coach. Sumlin can recruit but maybe that is a case against him as he has more talent to work with. He has had success in AZ recruiting so maybe he would keep kids in-state. Kelly I think is FLA's to lose, talent rich south for recruiting, no state income tax in FL, SEC is the cream of the college football crop. But the thing is at FL he will have to face Nick Saban every year so path to NC goes through ALA in SEC title game. UCLA is appealing in that he gets to coach against ORE a lot, PAC-12 defenses aren't on the same level as SEC, west coast recruiting ties from his days at ORE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sumlin would be a wash, he is very similar to Graham. He is an offense guy whereas Graham is a defensive coach. Sumlin can recruit but maybe that is a case against him as he has more talent to work with. He has had success in AZ recruiting so maybe he would keep kids in-state. Kelly I think is FLA's to lose, talent rich south for recruiting, no state income tax in FL, SEC is the cream of the college football crop. But the thing is at FL he will have to face Nick Saban every year so path to NC goes through ALA in SEC title game. UCLA is appealing in that he gets to coach against ORE a lot, PAC-12 defenses aren't on the same level as SEC, west coast recruiting ties from his days at ORE.

I hadn't heard Sumlin's name mentioned recently so it caught me by surprise when Scott Bordow mentioned his name in a tweet.

Thanks for the information.

Did you say Graham was a defensivsive coach. :)

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Sumlin is on a completely different level of recruiting than Graham is...he can get some good talent, but his coaching is definitely suspect. I've been thinking Greg Schiano might be a possibility...he's listed as the #2 recruiter in the country and is not a bad coach. I'd prefer him over Sumlin.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I think Graham is safe, if they do move on from this staff I would take a look at Tedford. He did interesting things at Cal and Fresno St

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I think Graham is safe, if they do move on from this staff I would take a look at Tedford. He did interesting things at Cal and Fresno St

I think if they want to move into the upper tier they have to recruit better. They just don't match elite teams inside and out of the conference. Sumlin makes a lot of sense here.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Graham expects to be fired this morning...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if they want to move into the upper tier they have to recruit better. They just don't match elite teams inside and out of the conference. Sumlin makes a lot of sense here.

He can recruit but that doesn't seem to translate to the field very well so I question the ability to use that talent.

Sumlin is a step up from Graham but recent history says that step up gets ASU to 8-4 or 7-5.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hadn't heard Sumlin's name mentioned recently so it caught me by surprise when Scott Bordow mentioned his name in a tweet.

Thanks for the information.

Did you say Graham was a defensivsive coach. :)

Well he got his first college coaching gig as a LB coach at WVU and eventually became a DC before a HC at Tulsa, but yeah ASU's lack of defense the last couple of years indicated otherwise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought Graham might be fired but the Sun Devils had a decent football season with some good wins and a winning record. Plus they will be going to a bowl game.

I thought Anderson might give him at least one more season to right the ship especially with the huge buyout.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he got his first college coaching gig as a LB coach at WVU and eventually became a DC before a HC at Tulsa, but yeah ASU's lack of defense the last couple of years indicated otherwise.

I was mainly referring to the Sun Devil defense which has not been good over the past couple of seasons which you point out.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like the Hyundai Sun bowl for you guys.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on the Graham firing. If the firing is based upon this year's performance, it doesn't seem fair. The Sun Devils overachieved. They were ridiculously inexperienced on the defensive side of the ball and undersized and inexperienced on the O-line. Relatively green with Manny as the new quarterback. They were projected to finish at the bottom of the Pac 12 South. But, we beat Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Arizona and finish 2nd. So based upon this season, we exceeded expectations and Graham earned the job for another year.

And you have to admit, Graham has instilled discipline into the football program. The players GPAs and graduation rate have risen dramatically. And we have perennially been one of the least penalized teams in the Nation.

On the other hand, college football is a cut throat business. Our recruiting has to be better. And looking at the last 3 years, its been pretty mediocre overall. Our talent level hasn't been high enough to compete regularly with schools like USC. And it shows on the field when we play them.

I can only hope that RA has a few aces in his deck that he is ready to play. A head coach that will be worth paying Graham that $12 buyout, money that could be used to try to keep Hurley around. You better bring in a big time recruiting coach or you may be the next to go.