Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This would be pretty cool on a personal level. Derek and I were co-captains of the 1986-87 Camelback High School Spartan football team.

I’ve followed his career as a result. He was always a very driven young man. Proud of his accomplishments.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be pretty cool on a personal level. Derek and I were co-captains of the 1986-87 Camelback High School Spartan football team.

I’ve followed his career as a result. He was always a very driven young man. Proud of his accomplishments.

That is very cool!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard clips on the radio this afternoon of Ray Anderson basically mandating the next coach keeps the coordinators.

Not good. No big time coach would do that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard clips on the radio this afternoon of Ray Anderson basically mandating the next coach keeps the coordinators.

Not good. No big time coach would do that.

The only reason I can think of is they are trying to hold onto their recruiting class.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern (and I think most people) is they could easily hire someone that does worse than Graham!!

Graham has compiled the best ASU head coach record in the last thirty years! The last coach with a better winning percentage than Graham, was John Cooper (1985-87).

This thought has passed through my mind as well.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of is they are trying to hold onto their recruiting class.

They are ranked 49th in this year's recruiting classes now. The only real reason he gave is that he did not want Manny Wilkins to have a 4th OC in four years. But that has to be the new coaches call.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Herm Edwards next coach? Doubt it. But would be interesting!

Doug Haller writes: "Edwards, 63, is an outside-the-box candidate, but in some ways he makes sense. For one, he has a history with Anderson, who was his agent during his NFL head-coaching days. Also, he seems to fit the "CEO" coach Anderson described in Sunday's news conference. Someone who would be OK with retaining ASU's offensive and defensive coordinators. The drawbacks, of course, are obvious: Edwards hasn't coached since 2008 and he hasn't been in the college game since 1989."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...tball-coaching-search-herm-edwards/900635001/

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
That would be a disaster
The idea is intriguing. Herm has the charisma and NFL pedigree to lure recruits, but he's never had to recruit before...hasn't coached in a century...and would probably hate dealing with immature college kids. The whole retention of the coordinators is baffling to me...I don't get that at all.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Herm Edwards hasn't had to recruit since the 80s. I don't see him doing much better than Graham on that front.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki‏Verified account@mikejurecki 2m2 minutes ago

I believe if Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis were available they would be considered the next head coach at ASU.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Seems like all these suggestions are NFL guys...which makes sense given Anderson's resume. How does that translate to college, though? The track record for NFL coaches going to college isn't that spectacular...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki‏Verified account@mikejurecki 2m2 minutes ago

I believe if Hue Jackson or Marvin Lewis were available they would be considered the next head coach at ASU.

They might not even have to wait for the Bengals to lose the wild card game this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They might not even have to wait for the Bengals to lose the wild card game this year.

I think there would have to be some kind of announcement if this were the case.

It makes sense though, in this type of scenario, for ASU to keep their assistant coaches.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am intrigued. His attitude would probably play well with college players. I like him better than Sumlin

Perfect for those who say it would take a miracle for ASU to become a national power.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I am intrigued. His attitude would probably play well with college players. I like him better than Sumlin
He certainly has the charisma, and will attract players with his NFL pedigree. I still don't get the angle though...is he going to hire a bunch of ex-NFL guys on his staff and tell recruits that ASU will be the best place for them to develop to make it to the next level? Interesting to see how this will play out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard