Who are the top guards in this draft

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mike Mamula was a rare athlete too.

Please don't say he is the best tackle. He may be the most athletic OT but he wasn't the best OT on the field (where it counts the most).
25 years ago in a less sophisticated era and with steroids more prevalent. Get a more recent example to reference and we can discuss this.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What about Andrew Thomas and strength of opponents played? There is a reason guys are playing in the SEC vs the BIG10.

*Not a single RT from Iowa has stayed at RT in the NFL. They all move to G. I went back 20 years.

LT's have moved to RT or G.

He clearly wasn't the best OT in college football. He is the most athletic and you could argue he has the most upside. I don't think anyone is saying he was the best OT on the field...some are saying he will be the first OT taken in the draft (I am pretty sure that is incorrect) and some are saying he is the #1 G.
First, he was an Outland Trophy semi finalist...so he was clearly one of the best offensive linemen in college last year. Second, who cares where he ends up as long as he ends up being an all pro? He has the skills to play at OT and OG. They will draft him and determine where it is best for him to line up.

Do you really care if he is blocking Aaron Donald or Nick Bosa? Or is it more about having a dude on our line who can match up athletically with both of those players?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I saw with the Cardinals last year the game plan was interior blitz and then have the DE's swing way wide to contain Murray. Murray would run back from the interior pressure and into the deep pressure from the ends.

We will need to draft an interior lineman. It's probably why I am potentially overvaluing versatility.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
From what I saw with the Cardinals last year the game plan was interior blitz and then have the DE's swing way wide to contain Murray. Murray would run back from the interior pressure and into the deep pressure from the ends.

We will need to draft an interior lineman. It's probably why I am potentially overvaluing versatility.

Agreed. I think G is a bigger need than OT today.

However, what we need on the OL is a stud. Not a swing guy that is decent at G/T but a dominate G or T. I don't think there are any (or certainly not many) that can dominate both spots in the NFL.

All of Wirfs appeal is based around athletic ability and potential. That is great but he should have dominated at RT at Iowa with that athletic ability. He showed flashes but as many have pointed out (and videos to back it up)...he didn't play up to his athletic ability. To think some guy who didn't dominate in college is likely to come into the NFL and do it is not very likely.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
25 years ago in a less sophisticated era and with steroids more prevalent. Get a more recent example to reference and we can discuss this.

Greg Robinson.

Read this article...scary as hell and sounds so familiar to today (except Greg Robinson was also a beast on tape and played LT vs RT).

Greg Robinson: Combine Results and Instant Reaction

On one hand, you have the polished Texas A&M All-American with the the textbook technique. On the other, you have Robinson, who lacks polish but oozes upside. Bleacher Report NFL National Lead Writer Matt Miller called him "as athletically dominant as any left tackle prospect I can remember evaluating since I started doing this way back in 2002."

After Robinson's show in Indy, that upside and athleticism will be that much harder for the teams at the top of the 2014 NFL draft to ignore.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1969893-greg-robinson-combine-results-and-instant-reaction

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Greg Robinson.

Read this article...scary as hell and sounds so familiar to today (except Greg Robinson was also a beast on tape and played LT vs RT).

Greg Robinson: Combine Results and Instant Reaction

On one hand, you have the polished Texas A&M All-American with the the textbook technique. On the other, you have Robinson, who lacks polish but oozes upside. Bleacher Report NFL National Lead Writer Matt Miller called him "as athletically dominant as any left tackle prospect I can remember evaluating since I started doing this way back in 2002."

After Robinson's show in Indy, that upside and athleticism will be that much harder for the teams at the top of the 2014 NFL draft to ignore.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1969893-greg-robinson-combine-results-and-instant-reaction
You mean the dude who was caught with 156 lbs of marijuana recently by border patrol? Personally I think his issues were character driven, but here are some good articles about the transition from college to the pros.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16...troit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/25/...sive-line-prospects-evaluation-geoff-schwartz

What I will say for Wirfs is that Iowa has more NFL style blocking than most colleges.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson