Whiz wins opener.......many more to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His wife would have never agreed to move to Detroit or Cleveland - which were both options. Just saying. Alice chose Tennessee as much as Ken did, IMHO.
Well, I've been to Nashville and it's nothing to brag about either. It is warmer, but at least Detroit and Cleveland are sports towns.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh man does this sound so familiar

"@caplannfl: One of the biggest reasons why Mettenberger is getting the green light: Understanding of the offense."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man does this sound so familiar

"@caplannfl: One of the biggest reasons why Mettenberger is getting the green light: Understanding of the offense."
I wanted him over Logan, I doubt he's awesome yet but I bet he is better than white Hurst

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Get this Twitter conversation with Leinart...

Clay Travis- Locker era over. Titans plan to start QB Zach Mettenberger against the Texans sources say
Matt Leinart- Locker era over. Will be for someone else in a year or two as well. Same story
Clay Travis- Who would you draft this coming year? Titans are a total mess
Matt Leinart- a new coach

get the popcorn is all I can say lol

Santiago

Reaction score

Clay Travis- Locker era over. Titans plan to start QB Zach Mettenberger against the Texans sources say
Matt Leinart- Locker era over. Will be for someone else in a year or two as well. Same story

Too perfect.. lol...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I saw that.

Even with Whiz's dubious handling of quarterbacks, Leinart has no business holding a grudge against him. Matty lost his job because he couldn't maturely handle competition and demonstrated no leadership skills at the NFL level. He even had a couple of chances to latch on permanently with other team to redeem himself, but failed.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw that.

Even with Whiz's dubious handling of quarterbacks, Leinart has no business holding a grudge against him. Matty lost his job because he couldn't maturely handle competition and demonstrated no leadership skills at the NFL level. He even had a couple of chances to latch on permanently with other team to redeem himself, but failed.

While all that is true, Whiz bungled the Leinart situation and made him virtually worthless by talking poorly about him in the media. We got nothing for him and he was playing decently that preseason. He also wasted a year of Leinart's career by doing so. Leinart clearly wasn't the answer but I'd argue we would have won more games with him than Scud or Hall or Lindley.

Whiz's mishandling of Leinart is the first sign of major weakness for Whiz as far as I'm concerned. I said it at the time.

For Whiz to have so much coach speak with the media every single time before and after... Except when it came to Leinart, when he got personal, tells me he had a personal problem with the dude. And when you're talking about our first round pick that just can't happen.

It's disrespectful to everyone above you to badmouth the guy publicly, devalue him to zero, and not even try to get anything for him.

And just look at the awful QB's he's hung his hat on since then in AZ and now Tennessee over rolling with Leinart. Lol. It's downright laughable.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
While all that is true, Whiz bungled the Leinart situation and made him virtually worthless by talking poorly about him in the media. We got nothing for him and he was playing decently that preseason. He also wasted a year of Leinart's career by doing so. Leinart clearly wasn't the answer but I'd argue we would have won more games with him than Scud or Hall or Lindley.

Whiz's mishandling of Leinart is the first sign of major weakness for Whiz as far as I'm concerned. I said it at the time.

For Whiz to have so much coach speak with the media every single time before and after... Except when it came to Leinart, when he got personal, tells me he had a personal problem with the dude. And when you're talking about our first round pick that just can't happen.

It's disrespectful to everyone above you to badmouth the guy publicly, devalue him to zero, and not even try to get anything for him.

And just look at the awful QB's he's hung his hat on since then in AZ and now Tennessee over rolling with Leinart. Lol. It's downright laughable.

I don't recall any instance in which Whiz badmouthed Leinart publicly. I do know Whiz proclaimed Leinart the starter early in the 2010 offseason, and again when Anderson was signed.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...earned-the-right-to-be-the-guy/1#.VEieyIvF_ds

The Cardinals have the veteran QB that coach Ken Whisenhunt wanted. But now he's giving Matt Leinart an edge for the team's starting job this season.

"Matt has earned the right to be 'The Guy,' " Whisenhunt said Wednesday as Derek Anderson was introduced as the newest member of the Cardinals. "That's how we will proceed."

To go from starter to cut within 6 months shows me there was a major disruption in the relationship; and no, Leinart did not have a good preseason. He checked down on just about every pass. When asked to throw the ball deep, he showed little arm strength and the ball floated away from his receivers.

I do remember Anquan inferring in a radio interview after he joined the Ravens that Leinart wasn't seen as a leader by the other players. Also, no one came to Leinart's defense during this situation and after he was cut.

As one of Leinart's biggest supporters, I wanted so bad for him to succeed for the Cardinals, but the more Leinart made the situation about himself rather than the team, the more he played himself out of a job. He had numerous opportunities to revitalize his career elsewhere, and yet he didn't. Allegations of his immaturity were corroborated with some of his public statements:

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...-Answers/c625aaeb-6137-44ec-91bb-c4c8fe88b190

Leinart was blunt in his assessment: “I have outplayed the competition (in) training camp and preseason. I think my play speaks about that. For me I just have to move forward every day. I can’t worry about what I can’t control.”

This was not a situation that was mishandled by Whiz. What was mishandled was that there wasn't a better option behind Leinart.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why would anyone wants Leinart's opinion on quarterback play in the NFL?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leinart's failure was his own but Whiz bungled that entire situation. If cutting Leinart was even a remote possibility the Cardinals should have taken someone in the draft that year. Even though Matty would almost certainly have been a bottom 10 QB the guys who replaced him were worse, culminating in the stupid desperation trade for Kevin "Right Handed Matt Leinart" Kolb.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whis is just another decent/good coordinator... in a long line of Cardinal trainwrecks that should have never been Head coaches.

Everyone wants to crown Whis because we went to the SB, but sometimes a very special player, can put a shine on a turd.

Watch Denver slide to 8-8 or worse the year after Manning retires for a perfect example.

TJ

Reaction score
Whis is just another decent/good coordinator... in a long line of Cardinal trainwrecks that should have never been Head coaches.

Everyone wants to crown Whis because we went to the SB, but sometimes a very special player, can put a shine on a turd..

Yet, this argument/narrative dies as soon as you realize that the "special player" also assisted in two consecutive 5-11 seasons prior to Whiz's arrival, which really was the only variable to change after those two seasons.

Critique Whiz about certain personnel decisions; he deserves it. However, to imply that Whiz had no hand in reaching the Super Bowl is complete nonsense.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I still have a lot of respect for Whiz for being the guy that took us to the Superbowl. I'll never forget that.

Recently, I read an article about how BA was frustrated seeing a bunch of "hot, young" coordinators who were nothing but Yes-Men running someone else's system continually getting HC jobs. Once things went sideways, because they only knew one system, they couldn't adjust.

While this could apply to a lot of HC misses across the league... sure sounds a bit like Whiz to me.

Go Cards!!!

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yet, this argument/narrative dies as soon as you realize that the "special player" also assisted in two consecutive 5-11 seasons prior to Whiz's arrival, which really was the only variable to change after those two seasons.

Ummm...no

His worst years as a Ram was on a team that was slowly being depleted of talent.... and/or fighting injuries and ultimately finding out he had been playing with a previously undiagnosed broken hand, which made his grip on the football less than ideal.

Manning went 1-6 for the Giants on that wonder squad when he took over for Kurt.

He was a Super Bowl MVP for Christ's sake.. You want to give credit to Whis for his resurgence? Go ahead.

I'll go with "his throwing hand being properly healed finally".

That, and having Fitz and Q.

TJ

Reaction score
Ummm...no

His worst years as a Ram was on a team that was slowly being depleted of talent.... and/or fighting injuries and ultimately finding out he had been playing with a previously undiagnosed broken hand, which made his grip on the football less than ideal.

Manning went 1-6 for the Giants on that wonder squad when he took over for Kurt.

He was a Super Bowl MVP for Christ's sake.. You want to give credit to Whis for his resurgence? Go ahead.

I'll go with "his throwing hand being properly healed finally".

That, and having Fitz and Q.

What does his tenure with the Giants and Rams have to do with the two consecutive 5-11 seasons that you glossed over? His hand had healed properly far before coming to AZ. His main technical issue was holding onto the ball too long (clocked at 3 seconds from snap to pass, IIRC).

You don't have to think too hard to realize that the one significant variable that changed from 2006 to 2007 and beyond was Whisenhunt.

So yeah, I will give him credit, unless you know of another coach who has taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and consecutive playoff appearances.

Look, I understand your frustration--Whiz was largely responsible for the demise of the team towards the end of his tenure. I get it. However, at one point, he was a good enough coach to get one of the most beleaguered franchises in the NFL to the Super Bowl and consecutive playoff appearances.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that PA hasn't come back to this thread in weeks.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Haha that's awesome, he drops the chum and just let's it sit. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard