What does Cardinals cap situation look like in the off-season?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
you are drinking drano if you really believe any of the above.

If they don't pay him, I hope we do. I am a Cam Newton doubter and he has shown me some legitimate growth this season as a Pro QB and a leader. I am starting to doubt less and less every week and it isn't just their winning streak.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Love Cutler as a quarterback, but I am concerned about his durability.

If the Bears are stupid enough to let him walk, there will be multiple suitors for his services, probably starting with the Minnesota Vikings.

I...HATE Cutler as a QB. Just had to make my point :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why is everyone so enamored with free agents?

If they were any good, then their teams would do everything in their power to keep them.

They let them go because they determine their value does not match the asking price.

Teams are built through the draft. We have a very a good drafting GM. I am 100% comfortable using only the guys we have currently + draftees. Next year, for instance, we get a pro bowl G to add to our line (possibly more line pieces in the 14 draft). Still have Minter in case we cant afford Dansby with the PP extension. Everythings gravy

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

If they were any good, then their teams would do everything in their power to keep them.

They let them go because they determine their value does not match the asking price.

Teams are built through the draft. We have a very a good drafting GM. I am 100% comfortable using only the guys we have currently + draftees. Next year, for instance, we get a pro bowl G to add to our line (possibly more line pieces in the 14 draft). Still have Minter in case we cant afford Dansby with the PP extension. Everythings gravy

Cards fans are interested in free agents because Arizona currently has only 8 starters drafted since 2004. 8 out of 65 draft picks. Even if all 7 guys from the 2014 draft become starters they're still short of the 22-25 needed and if you are starting 7 rookies the odds are good you won't win a lot of games that season. So for the immediate future free agents are important to Arizona.

You also ignore cap considerations in your take on free agents. Teams with limited cap space simply can't pay a guy what another team with more cap room will and some teams are just dumb when it comes to personnel. That's why you see former Cardinal players in the pro bowl.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cards fans are interested in free agents because Arizona currently has only 8 starters drafted since 2004. 8 out of 65 draft picks. Even if all 7 guys from the 2014 draft become starters they're still short of the 22-25 needed and if you are starting 7 rookies the odds are good you won't win a lot of games that season. So for the immediate future free agents are important to Arizona.

Not applicable. That was Graves regime.

But from the little we have of the Keim era, I think the future is bright.

-13 draft very solid. Our 1st rounder is not a bust, he broke his leg. Minter is not playing because of Dansby lighting it up (another adept moveby Keim getting Karlos in on the cheap). Tyrann in the 3rd was the steal of the draft. Ellington in the 6th. Okafor is another injury, but for all we know, he might be an upgrade at OLB someday.

And the cap is in great shape going forward. Reason we have so many 1 year contracts. Reason we had to let Kerry and Adub go. Keim has it under control

That's why you see former Cardinal players in the pro bowl.

Who? Kyle Vanden Bosch?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not applicable. That was Graves regime.

But from the little we have of the Keim era, I think the future is bright.

-13 draft very solid. Our 1st rounder is not a bust, he broke his leg. Minter is not playing because of Dansby lighting it up (another adept moveby Keim getting Karlos in on the cheap). Tyrann in the 3rd was the steal of the draft. Ellington in the 6th. Okafor is another injury, but for all we know, he might be an upgrade at OLB someday.

And the cap is in great shape going forward. Reason we have so many 1 year contracts. Reason we had to let Kerry and Adub go. Keim has it under control

Who? Kyle Vanden Bosch?

KVB, Antonio Smith, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Jones, Leonard Davis

As for the 2013 draft only 8 games into the season and the Cards have already lost 2 of their draft picks. Every draft looks good the first year. But even if Keim hits on every pick next year and the year after the Cards are still going to need free agents to fill in and the roster won't be set with draft picks who aren't rookies until 2016.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Peterson is going to want closer to 12 than 8, you can bet on it. I would guess the Cardinals would backload it ala Fitzgerald's contract.

Maybe, but if that's what he wants, why bother extending him with a year and a team option for another left? It's going to cost you the same, and you'll save a year on a dirt-cheap contract.

He's worth $12M per season, but he'll have to wait two years to get to it, and only make $2.8M in 2014. How much is an extra $6M in salary and a new signing bonus worth to Peterson in an additional year? That's the savings you expect to get when you extend him early.

Unless the whole 70 mill was guaranteed, highly unlikely, I can't see any way Newton would accept that kind of deal.

He's most definitely going to want more than Flacco. Plus, he seems like the kind of guy who is going to want to be the "highest paid" QB, at least on paper. It will all come down to structure and guaranteed money.

Again, that's the point of extending someone early. He might be worth Flacco and Ryan money on the open market, but he's not on the open market.

And not only is he not on the open market, he's making absolute peanuts this year AND next year. So he can take (comparatively) less money this year and have some income assurance, or he can roll the dice for another TWO years in the hope that he continues to improve and doesn't get injured.

Cam Newton is making less than Matt Moore this season. Is he really going to quibble over an extra million or so per season when he's going to triple his salary?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe, but if that's what he wants, why bother extending him with a year and a team option for another left? It's going to cost you the same, and you'll save a year on a dirt-cheap contract.

He's worth $12M per season, but he'll have to wait two years to get to it, and only make $2.8M in 2014. How much is an extra $6M in salary and a new signing bonus worth to Peterson in an additional year? That's the savings you expect to get when you extend him early.

Again, that's the point of extending someone early. He might be worth Flacco and Ryan money on the open market, but he's not on the open market.

And not only is he not on the open market, he's making absolute peanuts this year AND next year. So he can take (comparatively) less money this year and have some income assurance, or he can roll the dice for another TWO years in the hope that he continues to improve and doesn't get injured.

Cam Newton is making less than Matt Moore this season. Is he really going to quibble over an extra million or so per season when he's going to triple his salary?

And that is exactly the argument Keim should be selling to Peterson's agent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

The reason Mack is enticing because he is a C and if Cleveland wanted to slap the franchise tag on him they have to pay him the avg of the top 5 LINEMEN not Cs. Could be an opportunity to steal a Pro Bowler who normally wouldn't sniff free agency.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that link is pretty awesome. does it take into consideration that we can move 5 million of unused cap room into next year also? by cutting Colledge, Brinkley and Alexander, it gives us about 14 million in cap room, add the 5 million and we're around 19-20 million dollars under which is a decent amount to resign everyone we want and maybe make a couple upgrades/get PP signed to an extension.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
That link is so awesome that it deserves its own thread and should be permanently stickied to the top of this forum!!!

WoW!

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds about right:

Link is to whom I think the Cardinals should keep around next season:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2916588&postcount=7

The players I would let go in the offseason:
- Colledge, Brinkley, and either Acho or Alexander.

The list below is whom I think, out of the free agents we will have on this roster at the end of the year, the Cardinals should bring back:

- Alfonso Smith
- Jim Dray
- Jake Ballard
- Paul Fanaika
- Alameda Ta'amu
- Matt Shaughnessy
- Karlos Dansby
- Dave Zastudil

Rugby do you see any scenario where you keep Roberts?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
that link is pretty awesome. does it take into consideration that we can move 5 million of unused cap room into next year also? by cutting Colledge, Brinkley and Alexander, it gives us about 14 million in cap room, add the 5 million and we're around 19-20 million dollars under which is a decent amount to resign everyone we want and maybe make a couple upgrades/get PP signed to an extension.

Brinkley can be replaced by Minter if Dansby stays. Okafor can replace Alexander and Cooper replaces Colledge. Shaughnessey is only a 1 million hit so no reason to let him go.

Powers and Abraham are relatively big cap hits next year. What do you think about those two?

Seems to me that finding a CB opposite DRC and PP21 hasn't been much of a problem as the Cards have changed that position every year with the D staying about the same. Since 2008 Hood, McFadden, Toler, Marshall, Gay, and now Powers.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Lol at thinking you can get Cam for 7/70. This is a QB league. He will get near $100 million. Any above average QB will get paid. And I will gladly take Cam over Flaccid and Ryan.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Seems to me that finding a CB opposite DRC and PP21 hasn't been much of a problem as the Cards have changed that position every year with the D staying about the same. Since 2008 Hood, McFadden, Toler, Marshall, Gay, and now Powers.

I'm probably the only Cards' fan that wouldn't be against drafting a corner within the first 3 rounds. Not buying Powers' hype lately at all. He's really bad.

Also, that 2 yr deal we gave to Abraham is looking very good right about now...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brinkley can be replaced by Minter if Dansby stays. Okafor can replace Alexander and Cooper replaces Colledge. Shaughnessey is only a 1 million hit so no reason to let him go.

Powers and Abraham are relatively big cap hits next year. What do you think about those two?

I think both of them are solid contributors to the D and have no problem keeping both of them. Abraham has been a major force on this club for the last 6 or 7 games.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Following up on the earlier point. If we dump Colledge, Brinkley, Alexander and Wiliams, carry over the $5.5m in 2013 CAP space, we have relatively $20m in space going into 2014.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lol at thinking you can get Cam for 7/70. This is a QB league. He will get near $100 million. Any above average QB will get paid. And I will gladly take Cam over Flaccid and Ryan.

I'm not just pulling this out of thin air. Bill Barnwell said essentially the same thing regarding Newton's contract extension a couple of weeks ago on Grantland. I laid out the argument that a team is going to make this offseason. What's the counter-argument? It's going to take one post-CBA first-rounder to tear an ACL in his fourth season to be the example for others to follow.

Another (even more interesting) example is what you would do if you're Russel Wilson or Colin Kaepernick's representation. Those guys don't even have nice signing bonuses to fall back on while they're playing at a pretty high level. Can they really afford to say "no" to a contract that pays them $20M in the first two years when they're scheduled to make in the ballpark of $1M over the next two years?