What do you look for in your TV show?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in the television industry and I'm learning about viewing habits outside of my own and outside of those in the media I've worked with for 15 years. I never realized how small of a minority my thought process was. Here are some of the things we've been told are consistent trends for the current 18 to 45 age bracket:

- People don't like continuous mythologies. The exceptions, like 24 or Lost, are extreme exceptions, and that audience is pretty much maximized. People prefer Law and Order or CSI -- disposable drama -- because almost every episode is self-contained. There's no obligation to watch next week.

- Reality shows connect with women because women, in general, trust reality characters more than they trust fictional characters. By that I mean when women buy in to reality characters, they don't mess around ... they commit. Women seem to enjoy testing their intuitive nature about the reality characters. Men are almost as susceptible to the reality buy-in factor when their is another adult female in the house.

- Even really smart people eschew "smart television." People with masters and doctorates don't have dramatically different viewing habits than people with less (or much less) education. However, children in homes where at least one parent has an advanced degree watch much less than children in homes where the parents are less educated.

- It's a cliche, but nowhere is the "lowest common denominator" at play more than broadcast television. Shows that are written to the "IQ 80" rule have the best chance of gaining the biggest, most diverse audience.

No real surprises I guess other than everything I like fails the test. All my favorite shows would likely fail to attract advertisers in five years, because advertisers are starting to refuse to take part in the pilot process. In the future we'll see movies to test audiences. If people like it, we might get a short season. If it's still alive after that, we might actually get a full season. This movie testing process will likely bring to an end the "season" format, with year-round testing based on people's seasonal behavior. This also means we're likely to get much less original programming as money is spent towards these movie debuts.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy shows like Lost and 24, much more than shows like Law and Order/CSI, eventhough I like those too.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the 15 percent minority.

Thank you!

The thing is, I've now gotten so spoiled with shows like Lost, BSG, etc., which have overall "mythology" plots, that watching a normal show like CSI, Without a Trace, etc., have sort of gotten boring for me.

And we pay the price for it since these aren't as popular and get canceled more often.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

The thing is, I've now gotten so spoiled with shows like Lost, BSG, etc., which have overall "mythology" plots, that watching a normal show like CSI, Without a Trace, etc., have sort of gotten boring for me.

And we pay the price for it since these aren't as popular and get canceled more often.

Can you imagine a novel with 16 to 24 disconnected chapters? I can't either.

I should point out people don't watch Lost, 24, X-Files, [insert your favorite prime-time soap] unless they strongly empathize with at least one character. Other shows, like Firefly, fail to get viewers because the premise is too big a hurdle and precludes even 1 hour of earnest viewing. In fact all of these shows have a heavy early buy-in cost because the premise is either too vague or too peculiar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More to add on the character/mythology vs non-mythology thought:

The very reason people like Detective Stabler on Law & Order: SVU is the exact opposite reason people will tune in to watch John Locke on Lost. Viewers know Detective Stabler is likely to be the same character in Season 5 as he is in Season 1, and that's comforting. John Locke's character is on a journey and is changing rapidly through island osmosis, and it's engaging to some but disconcerting and troublesome to others.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it is simple. For drama type shows I have to be able to invest my time into to, so it has to continue to tell a story, like Lost and Jericho other wise it is not worth it to keep watching. As for sitcoms, it it character based, like My Name is Earl and The Office, meaning that I have to feel connected to the characters and be able to watch them grow. I think that is why I enjoyed Friends so much. The only other show I watch is Extreme Home Makeover stuff like Flip That House. Not sure why I am drawn to those.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't watch much TV at all. I've never seen an episode of Lost & I can't stand 24. I like Law & Order because of the "disposability" aspect of it. Since I don't watch much tv, when I do catch something I want it to be something I can just watch that one time. (Heroes is my one exception, but last season was bad enough that if they don't start out really good next season they'll likely lose me).

I don't care for reality TV much at all; I got into Top Chef, but can't think of any others I tuned into regularly, and I have never been a fan of Survivor.

I like a good adult sitcom, and I like forensics shows. That's about it. Oh, and MXC. Need to have that on way more often!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You watch MXC and you don't watch much tv, I am sorry for you. Lost is maybe the best show on TV neck in neck with Heroes, I would recommend you give it a shot. You can watch all seasons of lost in HD online streaming at abc.com

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You watch MXC and you don't watch much tv, I am sorry for you. Lost is maybe the best show on TV neck in neck with Heroes, I would recommend you give it a shot. You can watch all seasons of lost in HD online streaming at abc.com
It's something dcr & I plan on doing at some point in the future. He has all the seasons on dvd. If I wanted to watch tv, I'd watch Lost...TV just doesn't interest me much anymore. I just..."grew out of it", I guess. I used to watch plenty of tv...now it just sits there dark...

Thanks to my kids, I see more Spongebob than anything else.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's something dcr & I plan on doing at some point in the future. He has all the seasons on dvd. If I wanted to watch tv, I'd watch Lost...TV just doesn't interest me much anymore. I just..."grew out of it", I guess. I used to watch plenty of tv...now it just sits there dark...

Children impact television programming -- and ratings -- more than any other demographic:

- The No. 1 complaint about television is the lack of programming the entire family can watch. However, many programming aimed at the entire family often flops, or networks fail to gauge what people consider family programming. Lost was moved from 10 pm to 9 pm (9 pm to 8 pm in Arizona) in the second season and it lost viewers. ABC thought it was a family show. Clearly it was not, and the storylines lacked ... bite? ... with the refocus. It gained some of that back at the end of the 3rd season in its return to the 10 pm slot.

- Child activities is the No. 1 reason adults list as not watching prime-time television. People get home from work and courier the kids to sports, music, dance, etc. It's a paradox really, but Tuesday - Thursday are the most active days of the week, but they are also the most watched nights on television.

- DVR/Tivo don't count in the ratings. People such as yourself that are active or have children that alter normal viewing habits often rely on recording their shows and watching them at a more convenient time. I've read in some cases this could account for as much as a 25 percent increase in 10pm ratings, but because networks discount them entirely because advertisers could care less about people who watch recorded shows ... people are flying through ads. Neilsen still keeps tracks of these ratings and I guess their substantial enough they will be included in the new LPM monitoring.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Welcome to the 15 percent minority.

Me too. I enjoy drama more than comedy. Most dramas are a complete waste of time for me (sans Law and Order) if they do not have a solid through line. I want an overarching story, not just a canned 1 hour show every week. I also hate reality TV. With a passion. Whoever created it should be shot. As for comedy, I really look for great chemistry in the cast, as well as strong individual acting. That's what made shows such as M*A*S*H (my favorite show ever), Night Court, Seinfeld, My Name is Earl, etc, such great comedies.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How I met your mother
West Wing <-- GOAT
Wire
House
CSI Vegas
MASH

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My top 5 shows of all time, always seem to fluctuate, but I know that

24 and Smallville are always in there.

Lost, Veronica Mars, X Files, House, Firefly, Freaks & Geeks and my guity pleasure Dawson's Creek round out the top 5 in different orders depending on the day asked.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I look for a character that I can identify with.

My top 5 shows in no particular order

The Office
Prison Break
Law and Order SVU
The Amazing Race

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
top five
Lost
Smallville
Survivor
Boston Legal
Friday Night Lights

Las Vegas was a guilty pleasure but apparently just abruptly cancelled! Damn!

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be this John Larraquette (sp?) show called Happy Family. That show was hilarious. Had a short run though. No luck on finding a dvd of it at Best Buy.

John Larroquette is one of the most underrated best all-time TV actors. The John Larroquette Show was a decent sitcom no one watched except me.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like TV shows that have some sort of continuity going into each episode/season. I also like great characterization and witty dialogue.

I don't really care if it's an outlandish sci-fi story or just a "normal" real world plot. If I identify with a character, then I'm usually sold. But I enjoy following along a "mythology" even if it is Ross and Rachel "will they/wont they" type stuff and not necessarily a Mulder/Scully/Government conspiracy thing.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the old bump; I was looking for a post I was sure I had made regarding forensics (Jersey's EE thread), and came across this.

3 years later, dcr & I are finally watching Lost, lol!