What are your next steps for this team?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Curious. For those who want to a new GM. Where, in your estimation, would Keim rank in the current list of 32 GM's?

Average overall probably, below average at putting together and maintaining a roster.

My biggest complaint is his lack of vision for the roster, he says build from the trenches - but he hasn't drafted that way.

He said he wanted to take a QB every year, and he only took one until last year, when we had none.

Now we have no clear strengths anywhere beyond an individual player at any position. And if we find some good depth from a one year contract, we don't keep them.

Not good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I may have read your original post a little too quickly, since you did call out that it's hard to argue against Scherff.

The point I was trying to make is that being worried about getting young players to home grow at the OL position is functionally impossible if you were giving up assets for Jamal Adams, where we have a bit lesser of a need. Especially in the case where Adams costs 2 1sts and 2 2nds.
Yes, there is a cap on how much to dedicate to acquire a player like Adams. I think I would cap at a 1st and a 3rd. I don't think I would be willing to part with my 2020 1st.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Curious. For those who want to a new GM. Where, in your estimation, would Keim rank in the current list of 32 GM's?
He is in the bottom 25% of NFL GMs. One of the 8 worst. For those who disagree, tell me how he is significantly different from Bruce Allen of the Redskins.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
While I wait for Uber to come pick me up, here's my thoughts on where to go next. Two branching paths. @Garthshort

Path 1, and what I'd do if I really held all the power: Blow it all up. Axe Keim, axe KK, even leave KM potentially open to trade (I don't think he's the problem but I still am unsure if he's the solution, either). Sign either an experienced GM or up and coming guy that has been in football for a long time. No wunderkinds. Hand him the keys to build the team from the ground up, with this caveat - it starts in the trenches/the middle of the field. If we hire one more guy who is absolutely unwilling to build a decent offensive line or defensive line, I am going to scream. From this point, there's too many variables to really sort out, so I won't go too much deeper into it unless anyone really cares.

Path 2, which I think is more realistic: Fire Keim. Find a GM who believes in KK and KM, but give him the freedom to do what they did with Hue Jackson with the Browns - if it doesn't work after a year, the GM can fire KK. Same goes with his power over Kyler Murray's future - if we're two years in and KM hasn't shown proper growth, we can move on.

In the offseason:

- Tag Humphries, look for his eventual replacement in the first/second round.
- Go after an RT, I'd target La'el Collins.
- If there's any chance of signing Michael Thomas or Amari Cooper, do whatever it takes. Otherwise, work out a way to sign AJ Green. Some kind of upgrade needs to occur at X/Y WR, but I can't stomach drafting a 5th WR in 3 years.
- Thank Larry Fitzgerald for his service and encourage him to retire a Cardinal.
- No more AQ Shipley. Sign a center. There are decent FA options this year, and it's clear the team doesn't believe in Cole (thanks Keim!).
- Sign one or two of the top tier DL guys that are available. Invest heavily in the draft at this position outside of the top two rounds.
- You have to grab an ILB and OLB. I would love to sign Bobby Wagner to not only bolster our team, but hurt the Seahawks too. I would like to target Vic Beasley as well, since I think he'll be a little cheaper than some of the other OLB names.

In the draft, I go mainly BPA, since this team sucks at almost every position, but ideally the top two picks are one of these three position groups: OL, DL, LB.

That's 6-7 prime to mid-tier acquisitions in FA, and bolstering positions in the draft instead of reaching for starters.

I unfortunately don't really think KK is the right coach for any of this, but with an eye toward 2021, hopefully the team now has a core, and we can lure a solid, proven NFL coach here, who can choose to mentor KM or go his own direction at the position.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I wait for Uber to come pick me up, here's my thoughts on where to go next. Two branching paths. @Garthshort

Path 1, and what I'd do if I really held all the power: Blow it all up. Axe Keim, axe KK, even leave KM potentially open to trade (I don't think he's the problem but I still am unsure if he's the solution, either). Sign either an experienced GM or up and coming guy that has been in football for a long time. No wunderkinds. Hand him the keys to build the team from the ground up, with this caveat - it starts in the trenches/the middle of the field. If we hire one more guy who is absolutely unwilling to build a decent offensive line or defensive line, I am going to scream. From this point, there's too many variables to really sort out, so I won't go too much deeper into it unless anyone really cares.

Path 2, which I think is more realistic: Fire Keim. Find a GM who believes in KK and KM, but give him the freedom to do what they did with Hue Jackson with the Browns - if it doesn't work after a year, the GM can fire KK. Same goes with his power over Kyler Murray's future - if we're two years in and KM hasn't shown proper growth, we can move on.

In the offseason:

- If there's any chance of signing Michael Thomas or Amari Cooper, do whatever it takes. Otherwise, work out a way to sign AJ Green. Some kind of upgrade needs to occur at X/Y WR, but I can't stomach drafting a 5th WR in 3 years.
- Thank Larry Fitzgerald for his service and encourage him to retire a Cardinal.
- No more AQ Shipley. Sign a center. There are decent FA options this year, and it's clear the team doesn't believe in Cole (thanks Keim!).
- Sign one or two of the top tier DL guys that are available. Invest heavily in the draft at this position outside of the top two rounds.
- You have to grab an ILB and OLB. I would love to sign Bobby Wagner to not only bolster our team, but hurt the Seahawks too. I would like to target Vic Beasley as well, since I think he'll be a little cheaper than some of the other OLB names.

In the draft, I go mainly BPA, since this team sucks at almost every position, but ideally the top two picks are one of these three position groups: OL, DL, LB.

That's 6-7 prime to mid-tier acquisitions in FA, and bolstering positions in the draft instead of reaching for starters.

I unfortunately don't really think KK is the right coach for any of this, but with an eye toward 2021, hopefully the team now has a core, and we can lure a solid, proven NFL coach here, who can choose to mentor KM or go his own direction at the position.
You seem like a guy that would’ve gotten rid of Kyle Shanahan after his 2nd season & would hire a Mike Munchak or Jim Caldwell.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My needs list in tiers

Top Priority
#1 WR
DE x 2
RT
OLB x2

Agree pretty much, but I don't think DE isn't as much a priority. I think Zach Allen can be one of the two defensive ends, so I would move it down to the secondary category. Suggs hasn't been terrible, but he was very much a band aid situation. I guess you think they need another depth guy? I've though that Marsh and Reed are the best depth guys they have had in awhile.

It's funny, because I actually don't think WR is terrible on the Cardinals. They have tons of depth, but they lack a true difference maker. A Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb could take the offense to another level. Kirk can be a solid #2. I think there are enough guys with talent for someone to rise to the #3 job.

Secondary but needed
ILB
S
CB
TE

Simmons will be tempting if the he's available when the Cardinals are picking. A guy who grew up playing safety and was moved to ILB and will have a few years of experience at ILB before coming to the NFL. IMO he would be one of the smartest picks for the Cardinals in this years first round. He could fill that ILB/S match up defender role that the Cardinals severely lack.

The Cardinals need a true centerfielder. I'm curious to see if they try Deionte Thompson more in that role as the year goes on since he was pretty good in that role at Alabama. Jalen Thompson looks more like a nickel safety, but he has flashed at times.

CB is always important, but I've been mostly pleased with what the Cardinals have shown at CB this year, but the Peterson situation could become a problem very quickly, so CB might actually be more of an issue. I really like Murphy and haven't seen anything that makes me think the Cardinals don't have a really good #2 CB for the next decade if they actually keep him around.

TE? Maybe a move TE. I really like Maxx Williams and hope they keep him around long term. I honestly can't think of a TE who has played better than Maxx Williams has for the Cardinals. Sure he isn't too involved, but he is a very sound blocker and catches everything thrown his way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You'd move on from Murray, even though he is playing historically well for a rookie? Wow, you just can't give it up, huh?

And I don't think Keim HASN'T been willing to fix the offensive or defensive line. Keim has just MISSED over and over. That's the problem. Under Graves, you could easily argue the Cardinals didn't use any significant capital to improve the offensive line, but Keim has used 2 first round picks on the OL.

In the offseason:

Now you've stepped into reality. Except....La'el Collins signed a 5 year extension, so he isn't available.

You'd like to bring in AJ Green? Dude is old and is coming off a major injury. You do realize that the vast majority of WRs tail off at around his current age? Michael Thomas is a pipe dream. Amari Cooper is more reasonable, but I suspect he is going to be vastly overpaid soon and his results haven't been too encouraging considering he has had moments where he didn't look like a true #1.

Bobby Wagner....signed an extension this summer. Not available.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You'd move on from Murray, even though he is playing historically well for a rookie? Wow, you just can't give it up, huh?

And I don't think Keim HASN'T been willing to fix the offensive or defensive line. Keim has just MISSED over and over. That's the problem. Under Graves, you could easily argue the Cardinals didn't use any significant capital to improve the offensive line, but Keim has used 2 first round picks on the OL.

Now you've stepped into reality. Except....La'el Collins signed a 5 year extension, so he isn't available.

You'd like to bring in AJ Green? Dude is old and is coming off a major injury. You do realize that the vast majority of WRs tail off at around his current age? Michael Thomas is a pipe dream. Amari Cooper is more reasonable, but I suspect he is going to be vastly overpaid soon and his results haven't been too encouraging considering he has had moments where he didn't look like a true #1.

Yea, this is just sad & pathetic at this point. Like cheese said, guy just sets up unrealistic expectations just so he can criticize again & again over the smallest things.

We can realistically finish 6-9-1 & he’ll complain despite knowing our situation & having ya win 3 games max before the season.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You seem like a guy that would’ve gotten rid of Kyle Shanahan after his 2nd season & would hire a Mike Munchak or Jim Caldwell.
Of course not. But KK isn’t Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan comes from a genius head coach of a father, had a ton of NFL experience, and had exhibited success.

I don’t want some bland retread, but I’m still not convinced by “fired, losing record college head coach.”

Thinking he’s going to suddenly change and become a great head coach is based in almost nothing but blind hope for your team. Which is fine, but there’s zero evidence pointing toward him being a success. As an OC? Sure thing, sign me up. But dumb moves like the 4th and 1 last week show a deficiency as a coach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Of course not. But KK isn’t Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan comes from a genius head coach of a father, had a ton of NFL experience, and had exhibited success.

I don’t want some bland retread, but I’m still not convinced by “fired, losing record college head coach.”

Thinking he’s going to suddenly change and become a great head coach is based in almost nothing but blind hope for your team. Which is fine, but there’s zero evidence pointing toward him being a success. As an OC? Sure thing, sign me up. But dumb moves like the 4th and 1 last week show a deficiency as a coach.

I think his current record speaks for itself. He is 3-4-1 with a rookie QB who has blown a few games and with sub par talent at numerous important positions.

Kingsbury failed in college largely because of the talent on his defense, or lack thereof. His bona fides as an offensive mind are being shown to be true based on how well the Cardinals have moved the ball. Murray has a chance to set rookie records in a number of categories.

Who do you want as head coach then? You talk about having a plan and offer nothing of substance.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He is in the bottom 25% of NFL GMs. One of the 8 worst. For those who disagree, tell me how he is significantly different from Bruce Allen of the Redskins.

Well, Keim may have problems with players once they leave, but Allen is having problems with players who are actually on his roster. He can't get along with the coaches he hired, and his franchise goes on a weird PsyOps program against anyone who doesn't show true loyalty.

I think that Keim is in the middle third. There is risk in replacing him, and I don't have faith that Michael Bidwill will make the right decision in doing so.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I’ve warmed up to KM, but he’s not completely proven yet, so if a head coach/GM doesn’t feel that he’s the right fit, open it up. I’m more than willing to hang onto him and see what he does, but where you guys are convinced he’s the next big thing, I’m still a little worried about the lack of TDs, and how hot or cold he can run.

I’ll apologize for the misses - I was using a list that must have been out of date. Happens to the best of us, right?

I do agree that Michael Thomas is a pipe dream, but the Saints are in a bit of a challenging situation at QB. Stick with Brees for another year? Make Bridgewater your guy? Do either of them get franchised, logjamming things for Thomas? Probably not, but a man can dream.

Cooper will be overpaid, but if KM is the guy, and we don't trust our current WRs, we have to get him someone.

AJ Green is a band-aid. I don't think he'll get a ton of money on the open market, but he could be our #1 for a year or two while we hopefully develop someone. Who the hell do we sign otherwise?We've swung and missed in the draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The offense is fine.

The Cardinals offense is significantly better this year compared to last years offense.

The issue is that there isnt a single WR that can consistently get open and make big plays down the field.

You would be right if the Cardinals had that.

How has Dwayne Trashcans looked?
what does Haskins have to do with this thread?
The offense is better than last years. It’d be pretty hard to be worse.

it’s still not a good offense and I don’t think the cards will ever win with KK as their head coach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Apologies in advance, I was posting from mobile before and wasn't able to respond to everything in a timely manner.

I think his current record speaks for itself. He is 3-4-1 with a rookie QB who has blown a few games and with sub par talent at numerous important positions.

Kingsbury failed in college largely because of the talent on his defense, or lack thereof. His bona fides as an offensive mind are being shown to be true based on how well the Cardinals have moved the ball. Murray has a chance to set rookie records in a number of categories.

Who do you want as head coach then? You talk about having a plan and offer nothing of substance.
He failed in college because of the lack of talent on his defense, and surprise surprise, he's failing here because of the lack of talent on his defense. It looks pretty similar to his previous teams.

Our offense is moving the ball, but not scoring, and his wins are against trash teams. Again, the best you can defend the guy with at the moment is a hope that he figures it out, and that we've moved the ball in the middle of the field. Is it better than last year? Undoubtedly. Does that make it good? No.

Let's hope he grows. Wouldn't it be great if he upset the unbeaten 49ers tonight? But for now, I'll repeat... the only solid thing you can say about him is that you hope he'll get better because he's the coach for your team.

Yea, this is just sad & pathetic at this point. Like cheese said, guy just sets up unrealistic expectations just so he can criticize again & again over the smallest things.

We can realistically finish 6-9-1 & he’ll complain despite knowing our situation & having ya win 3 games max before the season.
Give me a break. I haven't set up any "unrealistic expectations." I thought this team was going to win 3-4 games. We're looking a little better, so that's nice.

But everyone who is shouting "we're competitive" from the rooftops right now is basically happy we're hanging in some games for a few quarters, not like we can actually compete and win the game against any given team in any given week. That's competitive.

I want to walk into a game and go "man, we really have a chance of winning this today," not "we'll only be behind by a score or two until the 4th quarter, when we give up and lose by 25!"

Ya'll are still licking your wounds from how bad last year was, and are trying to be excited about being bad vs. historically bad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ve warmed up to KM, but he’s not completely proven yet, so if a head coach/GM doesn’t feel that he’s the right fit, open it up. I’m more than willing to hang onto him and see what he does, but where you guys are convinced he’s the next big thing, I’m still a little worried about the lack of TDs, and how hot or cold he can run.

I’ll apologize for the misses - I was using a list that must have been out of date. Happens to the best of us, right?

I do agree that Michael Thomas is a pipe dream, but the Saints are in a bit of a challenging situation at QB. Stick with Brees for another year? Make Bridgewater your guy? Do either of them get franchised, logjamming things for Thomas? Probably not, but a man can dream.

Cooper will be overpaid, but if KM is the guy, and we don't trust our current WRs, we have to get him someone.

AJ Green is a band-aid. I don't think he'll get a ton of money on the open market, but he could be our #1 for a year or two while we hopefully develop someone. Who the hell do we sign otherwise?We've swung and missed in the draft.

The field gets compressed down in the red zone and the talent issue is compounding the problem. The Cardinals 1) Can't beat people too much in the run game without scheming it, which is why they have had some success, they aren't beating people on talent. and 2) They lack dominate playmakers that can beat their man. and 3) have a rookie QB who occasionally has issues due to a lack of experience.

The swinging and missing? It's the reason to move on from Keim. But moving on from Murray would be insane. He is literally the best young QB the Cardinals have had since the early 1980's. I guess you could argue Tim Rosenbach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Apologies in advance, I was posting from mobile before and wasn't able to respond to everything in a timely manner.

He failed in college because of the lack of talent on his defense, and surprise surprise, he's failing here because of the lack of talent on his defense. It looks pretty similar to his previous teams.

Our offense is moving the ball, but not scoring, and his wins are against trash teams. Again, the best you can defend the guy with at the moment is a hope that he figures it out, and that we've moved the ball in the middle of the field. Is it better than last year? Undoubtedly. Does that make it good? No.

Let's hope he grows. Wouldn't it be great if he upset the unbeaten 49ers tonight? But for now, I'll repeat... the only solid thing you can say about him is that you hope he'll get better because he's the coach for your team.

Give me a break. I haven't set up any "unrealistic expectations." I thought this team was going to win 3-4 games. We're looking a little better, so that's nice.

But everyone who is shouting "we're competitive" from the rooftops right now is basically happy we're hanging in some games for a few quarters, not like we can actually compete and win the game against any given team in any given week. That's competitive.

I want to walk into a game and go "man, we really have a chance of winning this today," not "we'll only be behind by a score or two until the 4th quarter, when we give up and lose by 25!"

Ya'll are still licking your wounds from how bad last year was, and are trying to be excited about being bad vs. historically bad.

You're expectations are absolutely unrealistic

Rookie QB

Rookie coach

Lack of real playmakers

Most teams AREN'T competitive against the Saints right now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh get out of here.

I like winning, but I also have realistic expectations. Something you lack, apparently. Stop believing otherwise.

We have a rookie HC with a rookie QB taking over what was the worst team in the league, & even one of the worst teams historically. The fact we are even 3-4-1 despite being overmatched in talent in almost every game this year says a lot.

No, you don’t want to walk into a game believing this team has a chance. You’re the same guy who wanted to bet against his own team for Christ sake. Don’t lie to me or anyone else.

It’s always something extra with you & it’s just simply sad at this point.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The field gets compressed down in the red zone and the talent issue is compounding the problem. The Cardinals 1) Can't beat people too much in the run game without scheming it, which is why they have had some success, they aren't beating people on talent. and 2) They lack dominate playmakers that can beat their man. and 3) have a rookie QB who occasionally has issues due to a lack of experience.

The swinging and missing? It's the reason to move on from Keim. But moving on from Murray would be insane. He is literally the best young QB the Cardinals have had since the early 1980's. I guess you could argue Tim Rosenbach.
I'm not saying we should move on from Murray. In scenario 1, if the Cardinals get a new GM and coach, I want everything to be on the table. That's it.

Not scoring in the red zone is what it is, compression or not. We have to learn to convert, and if we can't, we need a new coach and a GM. This isn't complex. Don't score points, don't win games. Figure out a way to make it happen if you are an "offensive genius," as was thrown out there in the offseason.

You're expectations are absolutely unrealistic

Rookie QB

Rookie coach

Lack of real playmakers

Most teams AREN'T competitive against the Saints right now.
Rookie QB, Rookie Coach, who were sold to us as the future of the NFL. Revolutionary player/coach combo. We blew up everything to bring them aboard. Feel free to pretend these aren't things that were being said in the offseason, and that we didn't draft KM because he was the perfect fit for this offense. Or that we didn't draft "playmakers" for KM, all of whom happen to have zero impact on the field this season.

Also, this is why I'm happy I didn't put in my take for a few days, because I knew it would devolve into this. The same arguments we have every freaking thread. Unless I think everything is hunky-dory for beating three teams with a combined record of 3-21 by a margin of 10 points, I must not be a fan, have insane expectations, or be a troll.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Oh get out of here.

I like winning, but I also have realistic expectations. Something you lack, apparently. Stop believing otherwise.

We have a rookie HC with a rookie QB taking over what was the worst team in the league, & even one of the worst teams historically. The fact we are even 3-4-1 despite being overmatched in talent in almost every game this year says a lot.

No, you don’t want to walk into a game believing this team has a chance. You’re the same guy who wanted to bet against his own team for Christ sake. Don’t lie to me or anyone else.

It’s always something extra with you & it’s just simply sad at this point.
See above. Feel free to keep baking up excuses for everyone wearing Cardinal red though.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is your answer for 2020. Make the front 7 on defense a total monster...OR build the best offensive line that money can buy.

You have to be able to dominate one side or the other. Don’t half ass both sides.

My guess is give me the biggest baddest offensive line possible. Maximise Kyler’s talent and add a true #1 wr and we can compete.

You can’t become dominant on both sides of the ball in one year. Fix one side and make it your identity.

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have indeed been within one score in the fourth quarter of their four losses. But they've lost by 6, 18, 17, and 22, never 25. Why exaggerate and create a straw man? Who here do you think has the mindset of being content with a 25- point loss?

...dbs

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not saying we should move on from Murray. In scenario 1, if the Cardinals get a new GM and coach, I want everything to be on the table. That's it.

Not scoring in the red zone is what it is, compression or not. We have to learn to convert, and if we can't, we need a new coach and a GM. This isn't complex. Don't score points, don't win games. Figure out a way to make it happen if you are an "offensive genius," as was thrown out there in the offseason.

Rookie QB, Rookie Coach, who were sold to us as the future of the NFL. Revolutionary player/coach combo. We blew up everything to bring them aboard. Feel free to pretend these aren't things that were being said in the offseason, and that we didn't draft KM because he was the perfect fit for this offense. Or that we didn't draft "playmakers" for KM, all of whom happen to have zero impact on the field this season.

Also, this is why I'm happy I didn't put in my take for a few days, because I knew it would devolve into this. The same arguments we have every freaking thread. Unless I think everything is hunky-dory for beating three teams with a combined record of 3-21 by a margin of 10 points, I must not be a fan, have insane expectations, or be a troll.
Solar7 please do yourself and the rest of the board a favor and let the board be for the next 10 Weeks. After the season, you can spout your "wisdom" and your "insight" all over the place till maybe someone starts to call you out on every bad view, bad take, bad habbit you show up here, but really, you aren't realistic you aren't self beware you aren't critic you are on a "destruction" mission but not with yourself more ore less you try to destroy the Cardinals on every thread you post. It doesn't matter it if it is SK, KM, KK, Larry, whatsoever.

You could be a cheatriots, seachicken or noless fan it wouldn't sound differnt from what you spout into this forum.

For me, you lost any kind of credabilty and so next time I see such a bad post from you I will ignore it, since you, really seem to be shifted not to the dark side, but to being no fan.

We have lost to teams that have a combined record of 22 to 8 for lot sakes this 4 teams are 3 divisin leaders and the panthers are second and would be the odd team out in the wild card picture behind the Rams and the Vikings.

But no, you keep on telling the 3-21 record story. The lions that are also a .500 team, is a team we tied against.

And yes we might have one of the worst schedules that the worst team from the year before got, but that is, more or less, typical Cardinals luck.