What are your next steps for this team?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Now halfway through the season, from a no-bashing perspective, I'd be interested to hear others' takes on what their clear next steps would be if they had complete control of the team.

GM change? Coaching changes? Personnel changes? Pretend you have the keys to the kingdom.

I'll post mine in a bit, but don't want to make this thread about my perspective.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Now halfway through the season, from a no-bashing perspective, I'd be interested to hear others' takes on what their clear next steps would be if they had complete control of the team.

GM change? Coaching changes? Personnel changes? Pretend you have the keys to the kingdom.

I'll post mine in a bit, but don't want to make this thread about my perspective.

I know this will not be liked by the PP club but I would trade him for a #1 and another pick(later in the same draft) if possible.Cards won`t be real contenders for another couple years IMO so get value for PP while you can.
in the 2020 draft you have to upgrade the Defensive line,LBs and O-Line.
Cards did draft some young kids on defense so that is a positive step.Still need to get more pressure on the opposing QBs and more athletic LBs.
KM is the QB so upgrade his protection and offensive options.i don`t buy the "we can be contenders " nonsense next season so look a little ahead.Some of the best coaches have said build the OLINE and DLINE to start as a foundation to build on.John Madden said in one of his books that him and Al Davis used to disagree on how to build a team (Davis said to get good DBs and Madden wanted OL or DL).Anyway they worked it out.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

1) If I’m Kliff I’m telling VJ to run more m2m

2) if he refuses I fire him on the spot

3) if the pass defense doesn’t improve the rest of the season (especially against wide open receivers) I fire VJ after the season. Anyone on this board could probably complete 60% of their passes against these soft zones every week, same look same story.

4) trade Pat P. If Joseph isn’t going to utilize #21 supposed strength in m2m much much more he’s limiting this defense. It’s the square peg/round hole theory. Does any defenseive team in the nfl play more soft zone coverages than the Cardinals? And yes it includes last season where we did the same. QBs are just too good today

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe there is to much you can do at this point. If PP was a free agent at the end of the year I would consider trading him. But by trading him you are only going to get what will be considered close to a second round pick assuming you are trading him to a contender.

I would trade any pick for what I believe is a great player at a position of great need. I don’t think there is a player that fits that scenario. I don’t believe AJ Green of Trent Williams fits that description.

We are who we thought we were. Stay the course. Continue to grow K1 and KK and start using Johnson and Issabella to see what they bring to the team.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say keep things as is until the 49ers game.

If we shock the world and win...make small changes.

If it goes bad. Then remove Sherfield and either Byrd or Cooper. Implement Isabella and KJ into the lineup more.

I really dont know what to do with the defense.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t believe there is to much you can do at this point. If PP was a free agent at the end of the year I would consider trading him. But by trading him you are only going to get what will be considered close to a second round pick assuming you are trading him to a contender.

I would trade any pick for what I believe is a great player at a position of great need. I don’t think there is a player that fits that scenario. I don’t believe AJ Green of Trent Williams fits that description.

We are who we thought we were. Stay the course. Continue to grow K1 and KK and start using Johnson and Issabella to see what they bring to the team.
To be clear, I meant going into next year, too. The rest of the season, there aren't many changes that can be that dramatic.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade for Robby Anderson now

Draft a #1 WR in the first round of the upcoming draft. CeeDee Lamb preferably.

Replace Vance Joseph at the end of the season with anybody else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
First and foremost fire Keim.

get rid of Joseph.

I can’t even guess where to put our draft and free agent capital because we have so many needs. RT, DT, passrusher, WRs, safeties, and LB (Reddick just got to go).

I only feel truly secure at QB, somewhat at guard, CB (even if post-PEDs PP is less than great he’s still likely starter quality), RB, and surprisingly TE (maxx and clay aren’t great, but they’re legit nfl TEs).

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
if we trade PP we are stupid. You dont trade a top CB. we add 3 more solid defensive players we can be solid.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Trade for Robby Anderson now

Draft a #1 WR in the first round of the upcoming draft. CeeDee Lamb preferably.

Replace Vance Joseph at the end of the season with anybody else.
Man that’s a lot of our capital at the wr position when we literally just drafted three of them. I know it’s a weakness, but that might be too much as it requires our 1st round pick and likely other pick(s) for Anderson. If we spent 5-6 draft picks on we in back-to-back years it means we are missing out filling other slots of need.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1) If I’m Kliff I’m telling VJ to run more m2m

2) if he refuses I fire him on the spot

3) if the pass defense doesn’t improve the rest of the season (especially against wide open receivers) I fire VJ after the season. Anyone on this board could probably complete 60% of their passes against these soft zones every week, same look same story.

4) trade Pat P. If Joseph isn’t going to utilize #21 supposed strength in m2m much much more he’s limiting this defense. It’s the square peg/round hole theory. Does any defenseive team in the nfl play more soft zone coverages than the Cardinals? And yes it includes last season where we did the same. QBs are just too good today

So what you are saying is fire VJ because we fail with his soft zone regardless and we retain Peterson and use him as any other franchise with common sense :)

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man that’s a lot of our capital at the wr position when we literally just drafted three of them. I know it’s a weakness, but that might be too much as it requires our 1st round pick and likely other pick(s) for Anderson. If we spent 5-6 draft picks on we in back-to-back years it means we are missing out filling other slots of need.

We need to do what it takes to win. The team desperately needs a play making wide receiver. I'm not going to pass on one because we used a 2, 4, and 6 in the last draft.

Robby should be cheap since his contract is expiring.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they shouldn't give up on this year but it has to be based on next year too. Can you get AJ Green or Leonard Williams without giving up a great pick, if you can get one of them I'd do it as much for next year as this(if you can sign them of course).

1st pick next year has not changed has to be BPA.

For this year the obvious concern is we have no RB due to injury it's going to be VERY hard to play the next game if DJ can't go either.

If that's the case then I guess you probably don't make a trade because you're not going to win too many games with the RB situation so might as well keep the picks.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Keim will be drinking even more going forward

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I have control I am doing the following:

Trade PP for a 1st a 3rd. Hes going to walk after next year, and I don't think his value will be any higher than it is right now. We SEEM to have a QB and a system that can work, so I would take the picks to build around them. PP is not going to be a part of our next playoff team IMO, so you take the picks.

Next I would trade a 3rd rounder for Leonard Williams, assuming we could work out a new deal for him. He is a young D-Lineman that can help us put some pressure on the QB. If we can sign him to a 4 year deal, he could very well be a key part of a good defense in the future.

Next I would offer the Redskins a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams, assuming we could extend his deal. I don't know if they would take it, but we need to offer.

We would have aquired 2 of the best Lineman available, and did not have to worry about outbidding or overpaying in FA.

I would play out the rest of the season trying to develop something with the young WR, and trying to continue evolving KM. If we can ever become a lethal RPO/Play Action team, KM could be really really good. Like most QB's, he will be much better with a consistent running game, whether it comes from him or the RB's.

At the end of the season I would take a real hard look at Keim and Vance Joseph. I'm not saying I would for sure fire either of them, I think it depends on who the replacement is. If there is a clear upgrade, meaning someone with some NFL experience and success, then I think it could be time to clean house.

In Free Agency and the draft I would prioritize RT, OC, D-Line, WR, and LB. With 2 1st round picks, we should still be able to be flexible and move around if needed.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't trade away anyone during the year...

Don't trade for anyone...mainly since you can't fit much under the cap because of the meathead GM. Yes you restructure contracts but Meathead will restructure the wrong players....

Fire Keim.... when he gets home call him up and fire him again....

Play the hand you were dealt and reassess during the off-season....

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Immediately, I would grab as many decent NFL players via trade as I could as long as they are willing to sign an extension.

I think ignoring Robby Anderson would be terrible as he helps Kyler immediately and fills a huge roster hole.

Getting Chris Harris gives you options with Peterson long term.

Getting Leonard Williams give Dvontel another defensive player to hate now that Swearinger is gone.

Getting Geno Atkins would be an off the radar move, but would give the interior some bite.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Getting Trent Williams lets us put DJ Humph at RT....and then lets us draft an OT this year and let them cut their teeth at RT for a couple of seasons.

We also really need an upgrade at center. We have been saying it for a long time...but AQ is below average at best.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You got a rookie QB who looks like he gots a ton of talent on a rookie contract with a ton of money coming off the books when the season ends.

we’re going to draft in the 5-10 range and I focus on the trenches. Offensive line or front 7 on defense. My main target Derrick Brown from Auburn.

I give Clowney what he wants 15-20 a year. He rates out as the number 1 defender against the run at his position. A great pass rush helps out your secondary they go hand in hand. I trade a 3 & 5 for a Leonard Williams

Fitz makes 11 million a year and we just can’t continue to pay him that much. It’s very clear he can’t get open anymore. If he wants to comeback he’s got to take a serious pay cut. It sucks but it’s reality.

I buy my offensive line

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You got a rookie QB who looks like he gots a ton of talent on a rookie contract with a ton of money coming off the books when the season ends.

we’re going to draft in the 5-10 range and I focus on the trenches. Offensive line or front 7 on defense. My main target Derrick Brown from Auburn.

I give Clowney what he wants 15-20 a year. He rates out as the number 1 defender against the run at his position. A great pass rush helps out your secondary they go hand in hand. I trade a 3 & 5 for a Leonard Williams

Fitz makes 11 million a year and we just can’t continue to pay him that much. It’s very clear he can’t get open anymore. If he wants to comeback he’s got to take a serious pay cut. It sucks but it’s reality.

I buy my offensive line
Totally agree with everything u wrote

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade any players away this season. Murray and kk are making strides. This team has holes and it's not thier fault. We will have a lot of money to address the holes in the off season.

Keep Peterson and Jones. They are both under contract and elite players. The d has been a lot better since peterson came back.

We are going to have a 3 year window before we have to pay Murray. We need to address oline and d line and free agency. We will get alford back soon. We have room many rookies in the backfield currently.

Also We need a legit no1 wr. Draft bpa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade any players away this season. Murray and kk are making strides. This team has holes and it's not thier fault. We will have a lot of money to address the holes in the off season.

Keep Peterson and Jones. They are both under contract and elite players. The d has been a lot better since peterson came back.

We are going to have a 3 year window before we have to pay Murray. We need to address oline and d line and free agency. We will get alford back soon. We have room many rookies in the backfield currently.

Also We need a legit no1 wr. Draft bpa.

I would send a 2nd round pick for trent William's. Not sure they are selling though