Wells, Knowshon, Mccoy, Greene, Brown???

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
Ok guys I youtubed these guys and evaluated them. We need a speed back no a big bruiser like Timmy. After watching tape I think that shoon greene and donald brown run just like timmy so I see no reason in heck we would draft them?? Im no expert but thats just my opinon??? Correct me if im wrong. Now Mccoy is the defintly the speed back that we are looking for. He is so fast especially in the open field. Knowshon seems to cut really well and is almost impossible to bring down while he does have some great speed. And wells seems to have a little bit everything especially his strentgh. He is very strong and quick. So I would be happy with either Wells, Knowshon or Mccoy. I think Knowshon would be the best fit for us. What do you gus think. Who should we draft???

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
I think moreno and wells will be long gone by the time we draft, TH is not that big for a running back, but i definitely see your point about lesean mccoy; I would be really happy if we got him or brown. their best football is ahead of them. Dont be surprised, teampete, if the cards go for a big RB in the draft, such as green or jennings. welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCoy looks good on tape, and he is pretty fast. But there must be something about him, as you never see his name as a possible mid first round pick. Most mocks that I've seen have him going late first, the Cards, or even in the second. Tim Hightower runs very upright, especially compared to Edge (forward lean), and seems easy to bring down. Don't know much about Green, except that he's big and not fast. He did win, I believe, the Doak Walker award, so he must have something. All along I thought we'd draft a RB, because of need, even though there were a lot of questions about them. Now I'm leaning to the team going defense in the first.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ok guys I youtubed these guys and evaluated them. We need a speed back no a big bruiser like Timmy. After watching tape I think that shoon greene and donald brown run just like timmy so I see no reason in heck we would draft them?? Im no expert but thats just my opinon??? Correct me if im wrong. Now Mccoy is the defintly the speed back that we are looking for. He is so fast especially in the open field. Knowshon seems to cut really well and is almost impossible to bring down while he does have some great speed. And wells seems to have a little bit everything especially his strentgh. He is very strong and quick. So I would be happy with either Wells, Knowshon or Mccoy. I think Knowshon would be the best fit for us. What do you gus think. Who should we draft???

Donald Brown is a little hard to evaluate, but he's not really like TH. He's much more a breakaway threat and he tested out faster than McCoy in the off-season evalutions. Now game speed you can make an argument for McCoy, but Brown's game speed isn't shabby at all.

Wells and Moreno are obviously the top two backs to come out this year. They have much of the intangables and played top competition.

All that being said , if feel as though the Cardinals brass might think that McCoy is the best fit for this team. I for one am not for taking him @ 31 however. Yes , I think he can be a good fit here, but there are just other players , I'd rather take at that point in the draft. If Moreno is there, no brainer, IMO. If not I'd go Larry English maybe Pettigrew or Mack or trade down into the 2nd round.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming that Wells and Moreno will be gone and I'd obviously scoop either of those guys up at 31 (although for the record I'll say that I'd much rather have Moreno). That leaves McCoy and Brown (Greene is a significant step below in my mind and shouldn't be considered in the first round) and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with either.

McCoy: If we're looking for the true compliment to TH, than McCoy is probably the best option. He's more the "bounce it to the outside and go" type of back and could be a factor on third downs as well, although he's not a great blocker.

Brown: I'm starting to warm up to him although I'm still worried that he's risen so much in "t-shirts and shorts" portion of draft preparation. I remember seeing several mocks before the combine that had the Cardinals picking him in the second and they described that as a reach, at the time. Still though he looks like the more complete back of these two and is much more likely to become a 'workhorse' type of guy. He's got enough speed and elusiveness to be an effective back for quite a long time.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Brown: I'm starting to warm up to him although I'm still worried that he's risen so much in "t-shirts and shorts" portion of draft preparation. I remember seeing several mocks before the combine that had the Cardinals picking him in the second and they described that as a reach, at the time. Still though he looks like the more complete back of these two and is much more likely to become a 'workhorse' type of guy. He's got enough speed and elusiveness to be an effective back for quite a long time.

I think it's a reach to say that Brown has climbed during the off season evaluation process. He's bigger and faster than McCoy (timed speed), I'll say for arguments sake that they're equal in game speed. He led the nation in rushing w/ 1800+ and 18 TD's. And UCONN didn't have all that good a passing game. He finished off his career w./ MVP honors in his teams bowl game w/ 260 yds rushing against a pretty good UBuffalo run D, up to that point.

Defenses KNEW he was getting the bulk of their work load, he did, and couldn't slow him down. So he's not an off-season wonder.

This was a write up after his freshman season. He played two more thereafter:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2850374

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I see it differently. I dont think we need a speed back or a power back or a compliment to Hightower. Hightower is what he is and thats a guy who will only succeed in the redzone IMO, which is awesome to have but he isnt a starter between the 20's. So what I think we need is a starting RB. So I put a higher value on everydown backs, not just a speed back or just a power back. I am looking for a guy who can just get you yards and it doesnt matter to me if thats by using power, speed, or combo of both.

1. Moreno
2. Wells
3. Brown
4. McCoy
5. Greene

Thats my list according to my own criteria of what I think we need at RB. Also Donald Brown is plenty fast on tape and in shorts. Top 5 of RB's in 40, vertical, broad jump, 20 yard shuttle, 60 yard shuttle, and top 10 in 3 cone.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I see it differently. I dont think we need a speed back or a power back or a compliment to Hightower. Hightower is what he is and thats a guy who will only succeed in the redzone IMO, which is awesome to have but he isnt a starter between the 20's. So what I think we need is a starting RB. So I put a higher value on everydown backs, not just a speed back or just a power back. I am looking for a guy who can just get you yards and it doesnt matter to me if thats by using power, speed, or combo of both.

So true. :thumbup: Who do you rate #5-10?

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a reach to say that Brown has climbed during the off season evaluation process. He's bigger and faster than McCoy (timed speed), I'll say for arguments sake that they're equal in game speed. He led the nation in rushing w/ 1800+ and 18 TD's. And UCONN didn't have all that good a passing game. He finished off his career w./ MVP honors in his teams bowl game w/ 260 yds rushing against a pretty good UBuffalo run D, up to that point.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2850374
I don't see how it's a reach. He was a clear second round, at best, pick at the end of the college season and now he's considered (by some) as a first round lock and some even list him as the top back in the draft.

And just to clarify, I wasn't trying to knock him b/c it's not like his physical abilities have changed in that time, it's just that he's risen up the draft boards in the past two months.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So true. :thumbup: Who do you rate #5-10?

6 - Rashaad Jennings - I have never actually seen him play so I am going purely on idea's of others that I tend to trust.

7 - James Davis - Sort of like Forte in that neither do anything flashy but gets the job done.

8 - Andre Brown - I am going purely on potential and measurables on this one, because he never really got the shot to carry the load at NC State, and I have only seen one NC State game.

9 - Javon Ringer - You just cant deny 22 TD's.

10 - Cedric Peerman - My wildcard. Seen lots of tape on him and he just looks like a RB, built like one at 5-9 215 lbs, but like Davis he doesnt do anything flashy. Awesome reciever but never carried the load and had a lot of injuries, two games off the top of my head where he didnt finish the game last year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't see how it's a reach. He was a clear second round, at best, pick at the end of the college season and now he's considered (by some) as a first round lock and some even list him as the top back in the draft.

And just to clarify, I wasn't trying to knock him b/c it's not like his physical abilities have changed in that time, it's just that he's risen up the draft boards in the past two months.

It's so that he was entrenched in the 2nd round, but I saw him all over the 2nd. Top to bottom. So he is a bit hard to evaluate. So is McCoy, he's REAL YOUNG. Both will have a yr. adjustment period somewhat. They'll have mixed results. Hopefully in yr. 2 they'll both be good to go.

Connar Barwin also comes to mind in the evalutation process. He's really risen up too. Just a workout warrior? Maybe somewhat, but teams also evaluate their dedication to improvement and willingness to work hard and he's shown that and his stock is up. Whether it's up in the 1st round for either him or Brown will be determined by team fit. But they'll both definately be off the board shortly thereafter, so either won't be a big reach, IMO. And you can't deny either's production out on the field as well.

I added an article about Brown's freshman year above , here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2850374

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
6 - Rashaad Jennings - I have never actually seen him play so I am going purely on idea's of others that I tend to trust.

7 - James Davis - Sort of like Forte in that neither do anything flashy but gets the job done.

8 - Andre Brown - I am going purely on potential and measurables on this one, because he never really got the shot to carry the load at NC State, and I have only seen one NC State game.

9 - Javon Ringer - You just cant deny 22 TD's.

10 - Cedric Peerman - My wildcard. Seen lots of tape on him and he just looks like a RB, built like one at 5-9 215 lbs, but like Davis he doesnt do anything flashy. Awesome reciever but never carried the load and had a lot of injuries, two games off the top of my head where he didnt finish the game last year.

Cool thanks. Ringer might be the best of them for a 2-3 yr. run. After that?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offense is most successful when Edge is getting 3-4 yards per carry. While we want to exceed that, it really should be the minimum. Who can keep getting positive yards each carry.

Only Wells and that is whom the Cardinals will draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Our offense is most successful when Edge is getting 3-4 yards per carry. While we want to exceed that, it really should be the minimum. Who can keep getting positive yards each carry.

Only Wells and that is whom the Cardinals will draft.

And Moreno. He has the ability to make people miss and he has the power as well. Don't discount that we may come out of this draft with more than one RB also.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...We need a speed back no[t] a big bruiser like Timmy. After watching tape I think that shoon greene and donald brown run just like timmy so I see no reason in heck we would draft them?? Now Mccoy is the defintly the speed back that we are looking for....Knowshon seems to cut really well and is almost impossible to bring down while he does have some great speed....wells seems to have a little bit...He is very strong and quick. So I would be happy with either Wells, Knowshon or Mccoy.

I challenge your first 2 premises (i.e. we need a speed back; Timmy is a bruiser).

We need a speed back but (if Edge doesn't stay) we will also need a bruiser even more. Hightower is neither a burner or a bruiser - he's more of an all-purpose RB - no earth-shaker but good enough (in fact better than good enough). Let's see how much bigger, stronger and tougher he is after he goes thru his first off-season pgm with John Lott.

I just did my first "down & dirty" mock, using NFLDraftScout's (NFLDS's)board to arbitrarily determine who'd still be available when we pick. If teams actually pick the way NFLDS's board rates the players, Moreno. Wells and D Brown will be off the board when we pick at #31.

McCoy is still there (as are Jennings, A Brown and Shonn Green). But he has no workout numbers for teams to at least factor in, and is listed by NFLDS as being on the downswing.

Jennings and Brown are rated mid-to-late second round picks who are as likely as not to be gone by the time we pick at #63. But Green figures to still be there.

If we were in the market for a highly-rated RB, the more likely scenario would be to pass on McCoy in favor of drafting one of the centers (Mack, Wood, Unger) or rolling the dice on an OLB like Barwin at #31 and bank on snatching Green at #63.

If Green were to be gone at #63, we'd probably be able to grab Sheets or Peerman a round later at #95. And NFLDS rates J Davis #189 overall, so we'd have a healthy shot at drafting him at #167 if we were still looking for a banger.

Note - Typically in each draft, other teams do not always act rationally and there inevitably will be a few players who don't come off your board as early as we and the so-called "experts" think they will. Dennis Green (and now Rod Graves who learned something from Dennis) have made their living off of highly-rated players who have dropped down into our laps. Maybe this will happen with a Moreno or a Donald Brown. (Or not).

Finally - TeamPete: from your low number of posts, you must be a newbie. Welcome to the nut house.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
[Note - Typically in each draft, other teams do not always act rationally and there inevitably will be a few players who don't come off your board as early as we and the so-called "experts" think they will. Dennis Green (and now Rod Graves who learned something from Dennis) have made their living off of highly-rated players who have dropped down into our laps. Maybe this will happen with a Moreno or a Donald Brown. (Or not).

[/color]
That's for sure. There are allways surprises come draft day and your team needs to be in position to take advantage of that . Pittsburgh does it so well, and so do many of the elite's yr. in and out. We finally are in that position of being secure enough throughout to drastically improve by really considering the best player on the board regardless of position, EARLY in the draft. It becomes more obscured as the draft process moves along where needs and scouted targetrs are more focused on, such as Iwebema last year.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

If we were in the market for a highly-rated RB, the more likely scenario would be to pass on McCoy in favor of drafting one of the centers (Mack, Wood, Unger) or rolling the dice on an OLB like Barwin at #31 and bank on snatching Green at #63.

This is exactly what I hope happens.

If we trade Boldin maybe we have a mid second rounder to us on Greene.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard