We traded Marion for....

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
With Shaq gone for Wallace, who was bought out, what do we have to show for trading Shawn Marion?

Isn't Sarver essentially paying ten million for nobody?

scotsman13

Reaction score
we got the samething if marion had stayed here. nothing. marion has felt that he was wasnt get his due while with suns. even though he was the suns highest paid player. he would have walked if he wasnt giving the max contract that he could have gotten from the suns.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what we have left after the Larry Nance deal.

West and Johnson retired with the Suns, no compenstation. We turned Thunder Dan into Hot Rod Williams.... I have no idea how Tyrone Corbin got to the Jazz.

Isn't Sarver essentially paying ten million for nobody? We got screwed in that deal.

Don't make me break down the Barkley deal

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

West and Johnson retired with the Suns, no compenstation. We turned Thunder Dan into Hot Rod Williams.... I have no idea how Tyrone Corbin got to the Jazz.

Isn't Sarver essentially paying ten million for nobody? We got screwed in that deal.

4/5

:smiliefan:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

:notworthy:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

kind of funny except that the Suns are still paying for the Marion trade (10 million to Ben Wallace).

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
4/5

:smiliefan:

We started with Barkely, Finley and Danny manning.

We traded Barkely for Sam Cassell and others. We traded Cassel and Finley for Kidd. We had Danny manning and Pat Garrity for Penny hardaway.

We traded Kidd and Penny for cap space that we used to sign Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson. We traded Richardson for KT which we we traded for nothing.

Thus, Barkley, Finley and Danny Manning led us to getting nash.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
kind of funny except that the Suns are still paying for the Marion trade (10 million to Ben Wallace).

Seems disingenous to call it the "Marion trade".

It should be called the SHAQ trade (AKA the dumbest move the Suns have made in the last twenty years).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

We traded Barkely for Sam Cassell and others. We traded Cassel and Finley for Kidd. We had Danny manning and Pat Garrity for Penny hardaway.

We traded Kidd and Penny for cap space that we used to sign Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson. We traded Richardson for KT which we we traded for nothing.

c'mon, if you're going to attempt that don't lose out on crucial pieces. we received cassell, horry, chucky brown, and mark bryant. along with your deals we also traded horry and joe klein to the lakers for ced ceballos and rumeal robinson. ced was traded to dallas for dennis scott. we traded chucky brown to the bucks (for what, i don't know), and we traded mark bryant, martin muursepp, and bubba wells for luc longley. luc was eventually traded to the knicks for a draft pick (i think).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered depreciation as a cost of doing business? :D

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Trading Marion is costing 10 million for NOTHING. Sarver is paying for someone not to play. We traded Marion for Shaq and his 20 mil per year contract for 2 years, he played one and Sarver is paying half his salary for him to not play here.
Sarver isn't cheap he is stupid, beyond reason.

I think I will buy a car, then trade it back in and talk about how much money I saved.
Still make 3/4 of my payments for a year but not have it to drive. But I saved because I won't have to buy insurance. Hahahahahahahaha

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Trading Marion is costing 10 million for NOTHING. Sarver is paying for someone not to play. We traded Marion for Shaq and his 20 mil per year contract for 2 years, he played one and Sarver is paying half his salary for him to not play here.
Sarver isn't cheap he is stupid, beyond reason.

I think I will buy a car, then trade it back in and talk about how much money I saved.
Still make 3/4 of my payments for a year but not have it to drive. But I saved because I won't have to buy insurance. Hahahahahahahaha

It's not like this has never happened before in the NBA.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

We traded Kidd for Starbury, the Starbury & Penny for cap space and signed Nash...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Q is being moved around like a hot potato.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad that somebody remembers Marion's attitude (and mouth) while he was with the Suns.

We wanted to love the guy. He wanted to be the team's superstar with a paycheck to match. He thought he was Kobe. He was good but he wasn't that good.

(And I HATE Kobe.)

green machine had it right: A year and a half away from his bitching and moaning.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With Shaq gone for Wallace, who was bought out, what do we have to show for trading Shawn Marion?

Isn't Sarver essentially paying ten million for nobody?
This isn't exactly accurate.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to follow trades far after they happen because it's not really possible to say exactly what we have to show for Marion now...

A) We did get a good Shaq for a year and a half for. Although the success of the team wasn't great, it's not like the guy played like crap.
B) We got rid of Marcus Banks terrible contract.
C) We got Pavlovic (not that that is exciting, but we have him none the less).
D) It could be argued that it resulted in a Hill extension, Channing Frye, and possibly even a Nash extension.
E) It also isn't possible to track where every dollar we have as a result of these deals will go now and in the future.
F) It is possible that Marion would have walked elsewhere at this offseason anyways which would have left us with nothing but money (which is what your original complaint is).
G) It's not possible to know what Marion would have cost us if we did sign him to an extension and what future players we will sign that we wouldn't have been able to because of Marion's contract.

I am not saying all of these things are fact, because they probably aren't. I am simply pointing out that your statement is inaccurate and that it is ridiculous to act like we know exactly what we have now and will have in the future of a trade that happened two seasons ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns would have gotten the most value out of Marion if they had just let his contract expire. Well, at least they had a walk in the park with Shaq.

Anyone have a clue what the Suns are going to do with Pavlovic. It seems obvious the Suns are not going to keep him, but as I understand it, they haven't bought him out yet either. I think the Suns are keeping him for the present to see if he can somehow be included in a trade package that doesn't hurt the Suns with the LT. I guess it never hurts to see what develops.

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
How about last year's trade w/ the Spurs? Suns get a back up point guard that can't find the court w/ a map of the arena and the Spurs get Malik Hairston (who will be a back up 3 for the Spurs this year), DuJuan Blair (who will be the 1st big off the bench or a starter for the Spurs this year) and paid cash for the privledge!!! On the Spurs boards they are wondering if Kerr is still working for Pop...
Steve Kerr's new book: How to turn a franchise 1 step away from a Finals into a franchise 1 step away from the lottery...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson