Watching Suns games

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you in AZ? I have TVs that pick up channel 3 with no antennas at all?
Queen Creek area. The cheap antennas would pick up a few stations but most were glitchy. The number of stations I could pick up using a larger powered antenna more than doubled when I stopped trying to use the cheap ones. It likely has to do with the fact I am right next to foothills.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Queen Creek area. The cheap antennas would pick up a few stations but most were glitchy. The number of stations I could pick up using a larger powered antenna more than doubled when I stopped trying to use the cheap ones. It likely has to do with the fact I am right next to foothills.
Has to be I’m in QC as well but just aim little antenna towards south mountain and get tons of channels, but usually just watch sports.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Has to be I’m in QC as well but just aim little antenna towards south mountain and get tons of channels, but usually just watch sports.
Do you have an old school aerial antenna mounted on your house? I notice you said aimed. Most of the new indoor ones I see are mostly rectangles you mount on a wall or window.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
San Tan Valley here. Can't get anything out here with regular antennas. Don't have outside mounted one so its pay to get one put up, pay for streaming or just not watch.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you have an old school aerial antenna mounted on your house? I notice you said aimed. Most of the new indoor ones I see are mostly rectangles you mount on a wall or window.
I bought a roof mount one for the house for like $50 on Amazon that is hooked to like 7 TVs, but I have just the small one in my shop/garage and it picks up basically the same. Just did one in the roof for house for aesthetic reasons as a bunch of TVs wall mounted so didn’t want individual antennas everywhere lol…

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really like Booker, he is a great player. But deep in my heart he is simply not at the level of Steve Nash.

Nash meant so much for those great Suns teams, he was the computer, the engine and the oil.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Booker, he is a great player. But deep in my heart he is simply not at the level of Steve Nash.

Nash meant so much for those great Suns teams, he was the computer, the engine and the oil.
I can't disagree with this and for me, the Nash led teams at their best were the most fun I've ever had watching this team or any team or any sport for that matter. But, for me, asking to be traded away from the Suns on two separate occasions drops him down just a bit in my book. Even still, it's close between Steve and Devin and Booker could easily render the question moot by leading us to a title or by abandoning us if things go south.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can't disagree with this and for me, the Nash led teams at their best were the most fun I've ever had watching this team or any team or any sport for that matter. But, for me, asking to be traded away from the Suns on two separate occasions drops him down just a bit in my book. Even still, it's close between Steve and Devin and Booker could easily render the question moot by leading us to a title or by abandoning us if things go south.

You guys are in the wrong thread.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are in the wrong thread.
Sorry 'bout that, it's nowhere near my first time taking a thread off topic but it might be my first time doing it accidentally. Most of the time I just click (and respond) on the threads that have had new posts without noticing the thread title.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has any news come out about how the playoff games will air? Generally those are cable games but not sure with the new deal. I always signed up for Sling for a month and got the games through there, ESPN & TNT, and ill do that again if needed but wasn't sure if any news had been released.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Has any news come out about how the playoff games will air? Generally those are cable games but not sure with the new deal. I always signed up for Sling for a month and got the games through there, ESPN & TNT, and ill do that again if needed but wasn't sure if any news had been released.
IDK. Aren't they mostly on the main national stations?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK. Aren't they mostly on the main national stations?

That's the question really. FSN/Bally's used to air some but they were also broadcast elsewhere, NBA TV, TNT, or ESPN. So I'm curious if Channel 3 will air any playoff games or if I'll need to get a service with TNT and ESPN.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I have Youtube TV. Looks like I'm good.
I'm moving back to the Valley next month and I need a streaming service that has ESPN, TNT, and NBATV. Does YouTube TV have all those? Do you recommend it?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm moving back to the Valley next month and I need a streaming service that has ESPN, TNT, and NBATV. Does YouTube TV have all those? Do you recommend it?

It has all those, however, it does not have channel 3, which carries all the local games.

YouTube dropped it almost instantly after the Suns signed on. Very irritating.

Superbone

Reaction score
It has all those, however, it does not have channel 3, which carries all the local games.

YouTube dropped it almost instantly after the Suns signed on. Very irritating.
OK, thanks. That’s not an issue for me as I will have OTA antenna for that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yes! I have seen there is going to be a new service like you said with all the major networks combining to have the majority of sports all in one package. If it contains the NFL, that may be the way to go in the future because we won't have to buy all different streaming options. Currently I am watching the Suns on over the air antenna, and the Yotes, too. Currently the Dbacks aren't available on free TV. You have to get the MLB subscription, or a Dbacks.TV plan that is $99 for a season, or $19.99 a month.

YoutubeTV has the three channels you mentioned.

Superbone

Reaction score
Yes! I have seen there is going to be a new service like you said with all the major networks combining to have the majority of sports all in one package. If it contains the NFL, that may be the way to go in the future because we won't have to buy all different streaming options. Currently I am watching the Suns on over the air antenna, and the Yotes, too. Currently the Dbacks aren't available on free TV. You have to get the MLB subscription, or a Dbacks.TV plan that is $99 for a season, or $19.99 a month.

YoutubeTV has the three channels you mentioned.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll start with YouTube TV. What is this new service? Is there a link or a name?

I was born and raised in Phoenix but most of my working life after college was out of state. I am moving back next month. For almost the entirety of the time I was out of state, I had DirecTV satellite because that was the only way to watch all Suns games. I can't wait to be done with them. I've been having ridiculous issues with freezing, jumping ahead video lately which has made for a horrible viewing experience. I mean, it will sometimes freeze for 30 seconds or longer at time and there is nothing you can do. Then it distorts, skips ahead and you miss stuff. Especially when it's raining. I think it may be my DVR needs to be replaced as I've had it forever now but now it's too late to pursue that. I'm primarily a Suns fan although I do follow the other AZ teams. My brother was a die hard Yotes fan who is now devastated.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll start with YouTube TV. What is this new service? Is there a link or a name?

I was born and raised in Phoenix but most of my working life after college was out of state. I am moving back next month. For almost the entirety of the time I was out of state, I had DirecTV satellite because that was the only way to watch all Suns games. I can't wait to be done with them. I've been having ridiculous issues with freezing, jumping ahead video lately which has made for a horrible viewing experience. I mean, it will sometimes freeze for 30 seconds or longer at time and there is nothing you can do. Then it distorts, skips ahead and you miss stuff. Especially when it's raining. I think it may be my DVR needs to be replaced as I've had it forever now but now it's too late to pursue that. I'm primarily a Suns fan although I do follow the other AZ teams. My brother was a die hard Yotes fan who is now devastated.
You just download the YouTubeTV app on your tv and sign up.

Welcome back to AZ!

And sorry that you’re moving here at the start of 100F degree season

Superbone

Reaction score
You just download the YouTubeTV app on your tv and sign up.

Welcome back to AZ!

And sorry that you’re moving here at the start of 100F degree season
Thanks! I'm ready for it, man. That was the biggest con in my decision to move back but all the pros outweigh it significantly. I've done it before, I can do it again. Although, it's probably consistently hotter now than when I moved out of state in 1991. I figure I'll get solar panels when I buy my home later this year if it doesn't come with them already. Plus, moving to AZ is going to help financially which will allow me to travel in the Summers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Every time I moved in AZ, and when I moved back from Nevada, it always worked out in the summer when I swore there was no way I was moving then. LOL. We have all had struggles wit DirecTV. Living on the boundaries of the state line in Yuma, Bullhead City, etc., I found the black out rules imposed by the NBA to be unfair. You can't expect a person on a week night to drive to those locations for a 7 or 8 PM tip off, watch the game, and then drive home and go to work the next day. I complained so much and so often, that I actually got to top management at DirecTV and also in the NBA offices. They had something like a 150 mile radius from the stadium that would be affected by black out. I was trying to get them to impose a 60 mile radius arguing that 1 hour travel time seemed reasonable. It never went anywhere, of course, but it was interesting the experience. I had one of the original batches of satellites that came out. I think my member number was like 350. They always made a big deal about my number when I called in. That probably got me forwarded to top management I was guessing. Of course DirecTV kept saying it was NBA rules.

Superbone

Reaction score
Every time I moved in AZ, and when I moved back from Nevada, it always worked out in the summer when I swore there was no way I was moving then. LOL. We have all had struggles wit DirecTV. Living on the boundaries of the state line in Yuma, Bullhead City, etc., I found the black out rules imposed by the NBA to be unfair. You can't expect a person on a week night to drive to those locations for a 7 or 8 PM tip off, watch the game, and then drive home and go to work the next day. I complained so much and so often, that I actually got to top management at DirecTV and also in the NBA offices. They had something like a 150 mile radius from the stadium that would be affected by black out. I was trying to get them to impose a 60 mile radius arguing that 1 hour travel time seemed reasonable. It never went anywhere, of course, but it was interesting the experience. I had one of the original batches of satellites that came out. I think my member number was like 350. They always made a big deal about my number when I called in. That probably got me forwarded to top management I was guessing. Of course DirecTV kept saying it was NBA rules.
Wow. So you must have started before me then. I think I've had DirecTV continuously since the mid 90s (I wonder if there's a way to look that up?). It is finally coming to an end. Good for you for putting up the fight! Yeah, those mile limits are too far. I've been forced to endure the Lakers and Clippers broadcasts for the last 23 consecutive years. And that's like 10 games a year. No more!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. So you must have started before me then. I think I've had DirecTV continuously since the mid 90s (I wonder if there's a way to look that up?). It is finally coming to an end. Good for you for putting up the fight! Yeah, those mile limits are too far. I've been forced to endure the Lakers and Clippers broadcasts for the last 23 consecutive years. And that's like 10 games a year. No more!
I bought it the day Best Buy made them available in So Cal. Back then, it wasn't all Directv though. Initally, a Hughes spinoff called USSB provided the access to most of the channels we recieved through the DBS whereas Directv offered only the premium channels. It wasn't until the late 90's that Direct bought out USSB and combined all the channels into their service.

As I recall, it was availble first to highly rural areas that had no (or insufficient) cable access. I think they went national sometime around mid-94 but only in a handful of markets for about 6 months before making it available everywhere.