OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Pursuit of Honor I figured he was losing steam. It's good to know this one's a nice bounce back. I always wait for the paperback unless someone donates the hardbound version to the local senior center so I guess it'll be awhile for me. Maybe I'll just reread some old Donald Hamilton or Robert Ludlum while I wait. I still enjoy Cold War espionage stories because you can hate those enemies without offending the politically correct.

Steve

:thumbup:

Good to see we have another ASFNer enjoying them!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Bob I just finished Act of Treason!

Another great book. Vince Flynn refuses to dissapoint. I am beginning to get worried that with Rapp being 40 now that he is going to phase out his character before to much longer in his books. Did you finish it yet?

From an earlier post. This is the main reason I'm glad Flynn went the prequel route.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From an earlier post. This is the main reason I'm glad Flynn went the prequel route.

I usually hate the prequel routine but this is one of those rare opportunities to tell some stories that were just begging to be told. He came into this series already fleshed out and it's clear he has a lot of history behind him. Also, after the second book in this series (even before we were referring to it as the Mitch Rapp series) it was clear that his character needed to be the focal point.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished American Assassin and I loved it. Nice to see Flynn still has it in him. Someone here was nice enough to send me his copy (I'm too cheap to buy the hard cover) but unfortunately my wife beat me to the package and she's a much slower reader than me. Thanks again mystery sender. I'd mention Bob's name but I don't want everyone banging on his door asking for book handouts.

Steve

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished American Assassin and I loved it. Nice to see Flynn still has it in him. Someone here was nice enough to send me his copy (I'm too cheap to buy the hard cover) but unfortunately my wife beat me to the package and she's a much slower reader than me. Thanks again mystery sender. I'd mention Bob's name but I don't want everyone banging on his door asking for book handouts.

Steve

I'm ashamed. I am only on page 220.

Yet Bob you and your wife have all read it and you call your wife a slow reader.

That being said I can usually get through a Flynn book in about 3 days. I have just had alot going on the past few weeks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ashamed. I am only on page 220.

Yet Bob you and your wife have all read it and you call your wife a slow reader.

That being said I can usually get through a Flynn book in about 3 days. I have just had alot going on the past few weeks.

Yeah, I'd imagine re-watching the Cards game over and over is taking up a lot of your free time.:)

Not that this is you but I looked up masochist and they define the word as "any Cards fan that actually watched the entire Seattle game". You should have taken Flynn with you to the ball game, you would have had plenty of time to read the book.

Steve

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd imagine re-watching the Cards game over and over is taking up a lot of your free time.:)

Not that this is you but I looked up masochist and they define the word as "any Cards fan that actually watched the entire Seattle game". You should have taken Flynn with you to the ball game, you would have had plenty of time to read the book.

Steve

I could always be reading while I'm on this stupid message board :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could always be reading while I'm on this stupid message board :)

Yeah but there's always the chance that someone will say something clever and then you'll miss it. This place does get addictive at times but without it I'd have to go find a real life.

Steve

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK forgot to comment on this. Really good book. Vince does not disappoint yet again. Loved the prequel. Wonder if he will continue to focus on Rapp at a younger age?

BTW: Stan Hurley is freaking nuts!

Thanks again Bob!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: Stan Hurley is freaking nuts!

Yes, wasn't that supporting character the definition of an out-of-control S.O.B? His character really made the book, IMO.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, wasn't that supporting character the definition of an out-of-control S.O.B? His character really made the book, IMO.

Yes it definitely was.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After he finishes telling Rapp's back story maybe he can start a trilogy of books telling Stan's story. I think the guy is pretty interesting and it would let them tell some back story on Stansfield also. Plus, I always like a good Cold War story.

Steve

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After he finishes telling Rapp's back story maybe he can start a trilogy of books telling Stan's story. I think the guy is pretty interesting and it would let them tell some back story on Stansfield also. Plus, I always like a good Cold War story.

Steve

That is actually a really good idea!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch Rapp Author Announces He Has Prostate Cancer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12810943

MINNEAPOLIS February 1, 2011 (AP)

The author of the popular Mitch Rapp series of
novels says he has prostate cancer, but that his
prognosis is good.

Vince Flynn says in a statement posted on his website
that he was diagnosed with stage three metastatic
prostate cancer
in November. Flynn says his
treatments are working well and that he feels better
than he has in years.

He says he's started working on the next Rapp book,
which should be out in October, and that he's
working on a joint novel with Brian Haig.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch Rapp Author Announces He Has Prostate Cancer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12810943

MINNEAPOLIS February 1, 2011 (AP)

The author of the popular Mitch Rapp series of
novels says he has prostate cancer, but that his
prognosis is good.

Vince Flynn says in a statement posted on his website
that he was diagnosed with stage three metastatic
prostate cancer
in November. Flynn says his
treatments are working well and that he feels better
than he has in years.

He says he's started working on the next Rapp book,
which should be out in October, and that he's
working on a joint novel with Brian Haig.

Wow! That really sucks! Stage 3 isn't good right?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That really sucks! Stage 3 isn't good right?

Not good at all, but hopefully they caught it in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_staging

Stage I cancers are localized to one part of the body.

Stage II cancers are locally advanced.

Stage III cancers are also locally advanced. Whether a cancer is designated as Stage II or Stage III can depend on the specific type of cancer; for example, in Hodgkin's Disease, Stage II indicates affected lymph nodes on only one side of the diaphragm, whereas Stage III indicates affected lymph nodes above and below the diaphragm. The specific criteria for Stages II and III therefore differ according to diagnosis.

Stage IV cancers have often metastasized, or spread to other organs or throughout the body.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone read The Survivor? Was released in October.

I haven't picked it up yet, but evidently Vince had written some of it before his death and Kyle Mills stepped in and used Vince's material to write the novel.

Sounds like it was pretty successful and could lead to more books written by Kyle Mills featuring Mitch Rapp.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone read The Survivor? Was released in October.

I haven't picked it up yet, but evidently Vince had written some of it before his death and Kyle Mills stepped in and used Vince's material to write the novel.

Sounds like it was pretty successful and could lead to more books written by Kyle Mills featuring Mitch Rapp.

I bought it but yet to read it!!!

He signed a deal to write 3 or 4 books using Mitch Rapp.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Kyle Mills' Mitch Rapp books?

You must be registered for see images attach

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Kyle Mills' Mitch Rapp books?

I'm in the middle of Enemy at the Gates now and am going to pick up Oath of Loyalty when it comes out.

I don't remember much about The Survivor because it was so long ago, but:

Order to Kill I did not like at all. And it was probably my least favorite of the series. It got pretty stupid with "Only Mitch Rapp can save the world" schtick and a lot of pretty convenient coincidences. But it does move the Rapp story forward.

Enemy of the State was better and more in line with the Flynn take on Rapp.

I really liked Red War.

Lethal Agent was pretty good.

Total Power was a twist and kind of took a turn from the normal storyline and villains, but it kept me reading throughout.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through Enemy at the Gates and Mills has done awesome so far.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Enemy at the Gates now and am going to pick up Oath of Loyalty when it comes out.

I don't remember much about The Survivor because it was so long ago, but:

Order to Kill I did not like at all. And it was probably my least favorite of the series. It got pretty stupid with "Only Mitch Rapp can save the world" schtick and a lot of pretty convenient coincidences. But it does move the Rapp story forward.

Enemy of the State was better and more in line with the Flynn take on Rapp.

I really liked Red War.

Lethal Agent was pretty good.

Total Power was a twist and kind of took a turn from the normal storyline and villains, but it kept me reading throughout.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through Enemy at the Gates and Mills has done awesome so far.
Good to know. I have a few of these. Might start back at the beginning and read right through the series again.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code Red (Book #22) will be the last one for author Kyle Mills. He wants to run with some ideas he has had in his head for another character of his own for some time now.

He is however passing the baton to Don Bentley, an established author and self-described Vince Flynn fanboy. He's a veteran who read through all of the original Mitch Rapp books while he was in the service.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code Red (Book #22) will be the last one for author Kyle Mills. He wants to run with some ideas he has had in his head for another character of his own for some time now.

He is however passing the baton to Don Bentley, an established author and self-described Vince Flynn fanboy. He's a veteran who read through all of the original Mitch Rapp books while he was in the service.

Kyle Mills and Mark Greaney were at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale Monday night. I pre-ordered Mark's newest book and got it signed and my brother just picked it up.

I would have gone but I'm out of town right now.

Last week Greg Hurwitz was there for a book signing for The Last Orphan and I picked up a signed book from him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson