Vince Flynn

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Shane H and I are addicts, but the book comes out at the end of the month, and it is now available for pre-order from Amazon.

So if you are a VF fan and plan to order on Amazon anyway, please consider using the ASFN link to help support this site. I just placed my order.

Here is the direct link to pre-order Protect and Defend.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you buy it through Amazon or not - here's a shot at an autographed copy (not chosen from entries until December)...

If you have a Costco membership, or know someone who has one (ask them to enter for you):

For a chance to win a signed copy of Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn...send your name, Costco membership number, address, and daytime telephone number in an email to [email protected] - be sure to put "Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn" in the Subject line.

Costco is giving away 10 signed copies of this book. :thumbup:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the things Rapp does are a bit . . . distasteful . . . and that may be discomfitting to some folks. Let's just say that if he were real John McCain and Ted Kennedy would be calling for his head. :D If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then the series is a must-read.

If you think his past novels included some "distasteful" stuff, then "Protect and Defend" is not for you. Vince Flynn takes Mitch Rapp to a whole new level of controversy in this book. The Mitch Rapp character from VF novels makes Jack Bauer from "24" look like a girl scout.

This book is a page-turner from the start, unlike some of his other novels that take a while to get going. Loved it.

"Memorial Day" was still probably the best, but "Protect and Defend" is right up there. Non-stop action and a fun read.

Also, this is the first book I have purchased via the ASFN amazon link. It works!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think his past novels included some "distasteful" stuff, then "Protect and Defend" is not for you. Vince Flynn takes Mitch Rapp to a whole new level of controversy in this book. The Mitch Rapp character from VF novels makes Jack Bauer from "24" look like a girl scout.

This book is a page-turner from the start, unlike some of his other novels that take a while to get going. Loved it.

"Memorial Day" was still probably the best, but "Protect and Defend" is right up there. Non-stop action and a fun read.

Also, this is the first book I have purchased via the ASFN amazon link. It works!
I concur! An absolute thrill ride of a book that is an absolute page turner! Mitch Rapp fricken RULES no other fictional character in any book even comes close.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the books and can't wait to see how well they're adapted for the screen.

I've read Term Limits, The Third Option, Transfer of Power, Separation of Power, and about half of Executive Power.

I got Protect and Defend for Christmas and have picked up the rest at Savers and/or yard sales.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently read Consent To Kill :)thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:)& Memorial Day:)thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:), and just finished Act Of Treason :)thumbup::thumbup:).

So which one should I read next?

JTS

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently read Consent To Kill :)thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:)& Memorial Day:)thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:), and just finished Act Of Treason :)thumbup::thumbup:).

So which one should I read next?

JTS

Term limits is his first, pretty good, but he doesn't start Mitch Rapp until his second novel, Transfer of Power.

If you read them in order:

1) Term Limits - great stand alone novel
2) Transfer of Power, Mitch Rapp first novel - AWESOME
3) The Third Option
4) Separation of Power - (This and #3 are OK, but if read as one book, great)
5) Executive Power - great
6) Memorial day - fantastic
7) Consent to Kill - fantastic
8) Act of Treason - pretty good
9) Protect and Defend - awesome

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Term limits is his first, pretty good, but he doesn't start Mitch Rapp until his second novel, Transfer of Power.

If you read them in order:

1) Term Limits - great stand alone novel
2) Transfer of Power, Mitch Rapp first novel - AWESOME
3) The Third Option
4) Separation of Power - (This and #3 are OK, but if read as one book, great)
5) Executive Power - great
6) Memorial day - fantastic
7) Consent to Kill - fantastic
8) Act of Treason - pretty good
9) Protect and Defend - awesome

Thanks!

One quick question, however:

On your scale is "Fantastic" slightly below "Awesome"?

If so, then I think I'll get Protect and Defend and then read the first Mitch Rapp book later like it was a Star Wars prequel.

Thanks again, I've really enjoyed reading these books based upon your and Shane's recommendations.

JTS

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

One quick question, however:

On your scale is "Fantastic" slightly below "Awesome"?

If so, then I think I'll get Protect and Defend and then read the first Mitch Rapp book later like it was a Star Wars prequel.

Thanks again, I've really enjoyed reading these books based upon your and Shane's recommendations.

JTS

"Fantastic" means the book is a page-turner. "Awesome" means the book is a page-turner + Rapp goes politically incorrect.

IMO, if you read the books in order, instead of stand-alone, you will appreciate them more. But in any case, they are all great and you can't go wrong.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn

Release Date: October 21, 2008

Description:

In the newest devastatingly intense thriller by #1 New York Times bestselling phenomenon Vince Flynn, his deadly and charismatic hero Mitch Rapp wages a war against a new enemy with the help of a fellow soldier as dedicated -- and as lethal -- as they come.

Vince Flynn's thrillers, featuring counterterrorism operative Mitch Rapp, dominate the imagination of readers everywhere. In them, Flynn captures the secretive world of the fearless men and women, who, bound by duty, risk their lives in a covert war they must hide from even their own political leaders.

Now, Rapp and his protégé, Mike Nash, may have met their match. The CIA has detected and intercepted two terrorist cells, but a third is feared to be on the loose. Led by a dangerous mastermind obsessed with becoming the leader of al-Qaeda, this determined and terrifying group is about to descend on America.

Rapp needs the best on this assignment, and Nash, who has served his government honorably for sixteen years -- first as an officer in the Marine Corps and then as an operative in an elite counterterrorism team run by Rapp -- is his choice. Together, they have made careers out of meeting violence with extreme violence and have never wavered in the fight against the jihads and their culture of death. Both have fought the war on terrorism in secret without accolades or acknowledgement of their personal sacrifices. Both have been forced to lie to virtually every single person they care about, and both have soldiered on with the knowledge that their hard work and lethal tactics have saved thousands of lives.

But the political winds have changed in America, and certain leaders on Capitol Hill are pushing to have men like Rapp and Nash put back on a short leash. And then one spring afternoon in Washington, DC, everything changes.

Using his insider knowledge of intelligence agencies and the military, Flynn once again delivers an all-too-real portrayal of a war that is waged every day by a handful of brave, devoted souls. Smart, fast-paced, and jaw-droppingly realistic, Extreme Measures is the political thriller of our time.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thud:

Memorial Day (from wikipedia):

Memorial Day, published by Atria books in May 2004, was his sixth novel and was put under security review by the department of energy due to classified material that appeared in the book. This classified material dealt with nuclear security and was mentioned in internal memos by the FBI and Secret Service.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished Extreme Measures a couple of days ago.

Wow.

JTS - this qualifies for the "awesome" category as well.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow.

I got it for my b-day last month but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I'm looking forward to starting it when I finish the Ludlum book I'm reading now. I'm glad to hear the early reviews are glowing. :)

JTS

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow.

You were absolutely correct, Extreme Measures was awesome. I'd say his best since Consent to Kill.

JTS

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pursuit of Honor

This is his latest and, well, just kind of OK. Not the insane craziness from his other books.

Good read, but sub-par for VF, IMO. Too much personal emotion and political ideology and not enough ass-kicking. There was no real edge-of-your-seat suspense like in his others.

Still good, just not great.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pursuit of Honor

This is his latest and, well, just kind of OK. Not the insane craziness from his other books.

Good read, but sub-par for VF, IMO. Too much personal emotion and political ideology and not enough ass-kicking. There was no real edge-of-your-seat suspense like in his others.

:(

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pursuit of Honor

Just finished it. Good summary, Bob.

Next book needs more action from Rapp and less drama from Nash...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next book needs more action from Rapp and less drama from Nash...

This next book sounds like VF is going to be back on track. I'm gong to definately pre-order.

PRE-ORDER VINCE FLYNN'S AMERICAN ASSASSIN!
You must be registered for see images
Released on October 12, 2010!!!
American Assassin (Mitch Rapp Book #11)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn returns with yet another explosive thriller, introducing the young Mitch Rapp, as he takes on his first assignment.

Before he was considered a CIA superagent, before he was thought of as a terrorist's worst nightmare, and before he was both loathed and admired by the politicians on Capitol Hill, Mitch Rapp was a gifted college athlete without a care in the world . . . and then tragedy struck.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America's shores. Stansfield directs his protÉgÉe, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague, Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the normal chain of command—men who do not exist.

Read more...

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the last book. Not quite as violent but still damn good. he is still my favorite fiction author and I read ALOT!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Assassin

Finished it last week. It was great.

It was the story of how he got trained up and went on his first missions.

The training camp part of the novel was incredible, just insane. The trainer character is just nuts.

Loved it.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished it last week. It was great.

It was the story of how he got trained up and went on his first missions.

The training camp part of the novel was incredible, just insane. The trainer character is just nuts.

Loved it.

Just started it. Only about 60 pages in so far but I am really enjoying it. Love that its a prequel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started it. Only about 60 pages in so far but I am really enjoying it. Love that its a prequel.

After Pursuit of Honor I figured he was losing steam. It's good to know this one's a nice bounce back. I always wait for the paperback unless someone donates the hardbound version to the local senior center so I guess it'll be awhile for me. Maybe I'll just reread some old Donald Hamilton or Robert Ludlum while I wait. I still enjoy Cold War espionage stories because you can hate those enemies without offending the politically correct.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson