Video card problem

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my GeForce2 video card with a Chaintech FX71 GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. I am having problems, and thought someone on my favorite message board may be able to help.

Since they both use the Detonator driver (I am using the latest; 45.23 I think) I didn't uninstall and reinstall the driver. The nvidia properties page was showing the correct card properties, etc. so it appeared fine. However, the monitor would randomly just shut down (like go in to sleep mode) and I had no choice but to reboot.
Also if I tried to run a game, it would do the same thing.

My mobo BIOS was rather old, so I flashed it to the latest non beta version. Now when I get to Windows, there is some video shadows (I think that is what you would call it) over any Windows, the task bar, wallpaper, etc. A strange thing is that if I go to the web, once a page comes up there is none of this shadow stuff, the video looks fine. It just seems it is it affects windows desktop and component windows. Also the random monitor shutdowns are still happening, and still when I try to play any game.

I put my GeForce2 back in, and all is well again.

So, to sum up:
1. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver even though they are both NVidia?
2. Any ideas as to why the shadowy stuff is there now that I've upgrade my BIOS?
3. Any ideas why it seems to just stop video output randomly and when I try to run a game?

Here are my specs:
Epox 8k7a Motherboard
AMD 2200+ 1.8GHz
256 DDR PC2100 RAM
Maxtor 30 GB HD
Antec Smart Blue 350Watt PS

I appreciate any advice.

tommcnabb

The Punisher
Reaction score
I would try the driver first. Check nvidia message boards also to see others with same issue.

--tom

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
OK, set my video driver back to standard vga while my old card was in. then I put in the new card and loaded the latest nvidia drivers. Everythings looks and seems fine now (No more shadowy things), except when I try to run a game, or even do the directx tests, the monitor shuts off like it's going to sleep as before and it appears the computer is locked up.

I guess I'll need to call chaintech technical support from here. Anybody seen this before?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson