Vance Joseph - why does VJ needs to be retained?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagreed. Look at what the Steelers defense has done in the past with freaking Duck Hodges as QB. Look at what the Ravens D has done this year in many games without any appreciable offensive output. Great defenses stone the other team when the offense is struggling. Good defenses can be counted on to make a crucial stop or two when they have to. What defense did we have when we needed the big stop this week? I'm not saying our defense has been garbage this year, but they are wildly inconsistent, and can be soft as a marshmallow, which just won't do.

The Ravens have been below average on both sides. 17th offense and 19th defense.

The Steelers holding it together for a few games or so with a backup is a different story and either way outliers don't disprove the rule.

Not saying it never happens but most of the time and over a whole season both sides rely on each other.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Ravens have been below average on both sides. 17th offense and 19th defense.

The Steelers holding it together for a few games or so with a backup is a different story and either way outliers don't disprove the rule.

Not saying it never happens but most of the time and over a whole season both sides rely on each other.
You want stats for the Ravens defense? On a team with an anemic offense, and with crushing defensive injuries, they've limited their opponents to 20 points or less 8 times, nearly half of the games this season. That is damn good defense. That's a defense doing its utmost to carry the team.

We don't (or shouldn't) often need our defense to carry us. We basically have asked VJ to shut down the pass because our offensive production has forced teams out of the run game. Well, down the stretch, our offense hasn't been doing that, so VJ has had to be flexible and adjust his scheme to compensate. Problem is, he can't do that. His bend then break defense is ill-suited to that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want stats for the Ravens defense? On a team with an anemic offense, and with crushing defensive injuries, they've limited their opponents to 20 points or less 8 times, nearly half of the games this season. That is damn good defense. That's a defense doing its utmost to carry the team.

We don't (or shouldn't) often need our defense to carry us. We basically have asked VJ to shut down the pass because our offensive production has forced teams out of the run game. Well, down the stretch, our offense hasn't been doing that, so VJ has had to be flexible and adjust his scheme to compensate. Problem is, he can't do that. His bend then break defense is ill-suited to that.

Ravens are assisted on defense by having a rushing offense that dominates TOP and finished 3rd in the league. If they finished 19th in the league for scoring but held teams to sub 20 points 8 times then they must have been smashed 9 times.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ravens are assisted on defense by having a rushing offense that dominates TOP and finished 3rd in the league. If they finished 19th in the league for scoring but held teams to sub 20 points 8 times then they must have been smashed 9 times.
They also scored 20 or less points in 8 games, so...

You're dodging my point: Our defense hasn't shown any kind of flexibility to pick up this team and put it on its shoulders when the offense falters. By extension, VJ's schemes seem rigid and unchangeable to adapt to this situation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Disagreed. Look at what the Steelers defense has done in the past with freaking Duck Hodges as QB. Look at what the Ravens D has done this year in many games without any appreciable offensive output. Great defenses stone the other team when the offense is struggling. Good defenses can be counted on to make a crucial stop or two when they have to. What defense did we have when we needed the big stop this week? I'm not saying our defense has been garbage this year, but they are wildly inconsistent, and can be soft as a marshmallow, which just won't do.
The Steelers at one point were starting like 10 1st round picks on their defense.

They are in another realm as far as draft capital on their defense.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way he leaves is if he gets an HC job.

1. Bluto hired him so I doubt he will sacrifice another hire he has made.

2. Team option or no, this coaching staff is now on one year deal and must make the playoffs and win at least one game. Anything short of that and I am guessing everyone will be sent to the wood chipper. It would be the rare coach who would take a job on a one year deal as DC when we all know it takes time to learn and execute a new scheme.

As for Collins and Simmons, has anyone even considered that the two of them are just so bad on the practice field and film room and LB room that they don’t deserve any PT? I mean we kind of already heard that Simmons is so crappy against the run he cannot play unless it is certain passing down. This possibility is never considered and it would be an indictment of their ability at the NFL level.

I believe it is s certainty Vance will be here next year

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

2. Team option or no, this coaching staff is now on one year deal and must make the playoffs and win at least one game. Anything short of that and I am guessing everyone will be sent to the wood chipper. It would be the rare coach who would take a job on a one year deal as DC when we all know it takes time to learn and execute a new scheme.

As for Collins and Simmons, has anyone even considered that the two of them are just so bad on the practice field and film room and LB room that they don’t deserve any PT? I mean we kind of already heard that Simmons is so crappy against the run he cannot play unless it is certain passing down. This possibility is never considered and it would be an indictment of their ability at the NFL level.

I’ve been saying it all season about Collins. Obviously it’s potentially true about Simmons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

For me, regarding the ILB situation, either Vance needs to go or Keim. Either it was another embarrassingly bad draft decision by Keim or it is more incompetence in developing young players by Vance. Both individuals have a history that backs up it being their fault. That said, someone needs to figure out how Collins and Simmons can get a large volume of snaps before next year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, regarding the ILB situation, either Vance needs to go or Keim. Either it was another embarrassingly bad draft decision by Keim or it is more incompetence in developing young players by Vance. Both individuals have a history that backs up it being their fault. That said, someone needs to figure out how Collins and Simmons can get a large volume of snaps before next year.
Drafting an off-ball ILB in the top 8 is a embarrassingly bad draft decision even without context.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, both of them have a history that can play a role but their comes a point in time where the players have to do their jobs and my feeling is they aren’t.

What would be interesting is to see where teams like NE, PIT, BUF-teams who seem to have solid defenses- would have had Simmons on their board. Correct me where I may be off since I don’t track this stuff with a fine tooth comb:

Simmons has so far played ILB, OLB, S, edge rusher, maybe coverage in the slot?, and I think he has played TE coverage no?

As for Collins, I felt at the time this was a Keim thinks he is smarter than everyone else kind of pick. I mean let’s think about Collins competition for PT and he cannot beat out those guys??

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although Michah Parsons was drafted as an off-ball ILB and he was an All-Pro as a rookie.
Micah Parsons was drafted as an off-ball ILB even though he played his best ball at EDGE, just like his transition from HS to College.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Micah Parsons was drafted as an off-ball ILB even though he played his best ball at EDGE, just like his transition from HS to College.
They give him chances and he makes the best out of it... We aren't giving Simmons or Collins chances, they have to work in VJ system, if they can't they are out.

I think, drafting Collins after seeing that VJ was unable to develope Simmons, was a bad decision. Since we needed help sooner rather than later. But overall I don't like VJ and 14-0 in the first 2 posessions in a playoff game, is a good indication that your DC has to go.

A good game by the D isn't something we see regularly since VJ is here it's not the norm but the outliner. And with a competent DC we never would have lost the game against the Lions or Colts. And not being 14-0 after 2 posessions would probably helped KM to stay a little bit calmer and take what is there even when you have to Punt afterwards. But if your D can't stop the opponent... it's hard to argue at some point that some people make wrong decisions as well. And don't get me wrong, KK and KM have many blame to go around, but the D ... was ... the biggest problem in the first half.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We aren't giving Simmons or Collins chances
Maybe Collins because he barely played this season, but I think Simmons has gotten plenty of chances. Turns out, he has the same flaws everywhere. Some here might just struggle with the fact Simmons………may not just be a good football player.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Collins because he barely played this season, but I think Simmons has gotten plenty of chances. Turns out, he has the same flaws everywhere. Some here might just struggle with the fact Simmons………may not just be a good football player.
So last call for him
Switching to play tigh end? Obviously a turnstile as blocker and big? As a, receiver

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Bidwill won’t make any big changes. ( Sk, Kk, VJ ), at the very least the LB coach needs go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen