Unforeseeable Draft

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
Like most of you, I spend an inordinate amount of time coming up with players I think fit the cardinals needs. I have a list of who I want in each draft. Rarely do I guess correctly.
It does, however, give me a basis for alot of the angst I feel on draft day(s). In looking at the past few years of the BASK era, I've realized what a waste my stress is.
Many of the picks I've been most angry about in the last few years have turned out as good or better then the ones I agree with.
Some of these "idiotic" picks include Markus Golden, Rodney Gunter, John Brown, Ellington (when they already had a steal with Stepfan Taylor), even Honey Badger & Bucannon, both who I liked but thought were taken too early.
I've learned to trust BASK, especially when I haven't heard of the guy they are picking. Hopefully this will result in a more peaceful draft watching process this time around. Serenity now.
I'm beginning to think my wife could be right and I may not be the genius I think I am. :shock:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I'm right there with you except the wife part. Can't let her know she might be right when it comes to football. I have to draw the line somewhere right

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Like most of you, I spend an inordinate amount of time coming up with players I think fit the cardinals needs. I have a list of who I want in each draft. Rarely do I guess correctly.
It does, however, give me a basis for alot of the angst I feel on draft day(s). In looking at the past few years of the BASK era, I've realized what a waste my stress is.
Many of the picks I've been most angry about in the last few years have turned out as good or better then the ones I agree with.
Some of these "idiotic" picks include Markus Golden, Rodney Gunter, John Brown, Ellington (when they already had a steal with Stepfan Taylor), even Honey Badger & Bucannon, both who I liked but thought were taken too early.
I've learned to trust BASK, especially when I haven't heard of the guy they are picking. Hopefully this will result in a more peaceful draft watching process this time around. Serenity now.
I'm beginning to think my wife could be right and I may not be the genius I think I am. :shock:

Yea I have guys "I" want us to take, but I dont get upset with many picks because especially with Keim running the show I know they have done their homework and have a plan. Completely different than before he was in charge.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea I have guys "I" want us to take, but I dont get upset with many picks because especially with Keim running the show I know they have done their homework and have a plan. Completely different than before he was in charge.

This is how I am, especially with SK in charge. The exception to this for me will be if they take TJ Green at 29.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I admire the certainty of the folks in this thread. I'm often certain about guys I don't want. Fortunately the Cards rarely take those guys. I used to look at 7-10 games a week; usually 1 in person. You can't just take highlight and work from them. The Cards often take guys I wouldn't choose, but they may have scouts who've seen far more of those players than me. So I'm seldom upset about it. From time to time after I've gained other opinions I'll question a selection. I just think it's hard to be certain on most of the choices. I have an impression I provide, but I'm rarely certain. I don't and didn't like the Golden choice but I also know after 3 years he may be a different player.

As to grabbing someone too early I'm with most GMs who believe you can't pick a guy too early. If you have good reports, someone else surely does too. No regrets keeps your sanity.