True Grit (Coen Brothers)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to believe Donald was being facetious with that post. Intolerable Cruelty was just that and i'd rather kill myself than watch the Ladykillers again. Two of the three worst movies they've ever made.

Was just trying to make your head explode. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Coen movies to me:

1. Lebowski
2. Hudsucker Proxy
3. O Brother
4. No Country
5. TBD - no real 5th fave...perhaps True Grit?

I like Miller's Crossing too, probably my 5th.

Not a big fan of Fargo...it's alright. I don't remember Raising Arizona enough for it to rate, which probably says something.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never saw Hudsucker or O Brother. O Brother has an awesome soundtrack though. Need to watch Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona again. Didn't really care for No Country for Old Men.

I liked Fargo a lot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Never saw Hudsucker or O Brother. O Brother has an awesome soundtrack though. Need to watch Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona again. Didn't really care for No Country for Old Men.

I liked Fargo a lot.

Go see Hudsucker Proxy right now! It's a terrific little movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ever see A Serious Man? That's a pretty dang good Coen Bros movie.

A Serious Man was a very solid movie. However, because I'm not Jewish and don't really know anything about the tenants of the faith, it didn't hold up for me.

A movie nobody has mentioned that they did that was actually pretty good was The Man Who Wasn't There--kind of an old school noir thriller, in black and white. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as some of their bigger films.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
On Roku at home now.

Man Who Wasnt There was Billy Bob right? Great show.

Yeah Billy Bob Thornton and James Gandolfini. It might have been Gandolfini's first big role as a result of his work on The Sopranos. Not sure.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but I just watched this move and I swear that The Dude's Cogburn was very reminiscent of Karl from Sling Blade. I swear I kept waiting for Cogburn to talk about some potaters.

The movie was okay, certainly not a great western but it was enjoyable. My only other issue was how it seemed that too much time was spent trying to make a everybody a character.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Coen movies to me:

1. Lebowski
2. Hudsucker Proxy
3. O Brother
4. No Country
5. TBD - no real 5th fave...perhaps True Grit?

I like Miller's Crossing too, probably my 5th.

Not a big fan of Fargo...it's alright. I don't remember Raising Arizona enough for it to rate, which probably says something.

it's say you're an idiot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Billy Bob Thornton and James Gandolfini. It might have been Gandolfini's first big role as a result of his work on The Sopranos. Not sure.

he had a bigger role in that awful Julia Roberts/Brad Pitt nightmare The Mexican.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
he had a bigger role in that awful Julia Roberts/Brad Pitt nightmare The Mexican.

Man Who Wasn't There had 3 leads, and Gandolfini was one of them. The Mexican had 2 leads, and Gandolfini was NOT one of them. Isn't he just the standard (sort of) villain in The Mexican?

The Sopranos ran from 1999 - 2007. The Mexican came out in March 2001 and Man Who Wasn't There came out in October 2001. I'd say they were made pretty close to one another and very shortly after The Sopranos premiered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man Who Wasn't There had 3 leads, and Gandolfini was one of them. The Mexican had 2 leads, and Gandolfini was NOT one of them. Isn't he just the standard (sort of) villain in The Mexican?

i don't really think you can call a guy who dies at the end of the first act as a lead in a movie. i mean, tony shaloub had more screen time than gandolfini had in Man. that was really a one man show for the most part, with great character actors sprinkled in. as to the mexican, he's pretty much attached at the hip to julia roberts throughout the entire thing. The Gandolfini/Roberts relationship actually carried just as much as weight... if not more... than the Roberts/Pitt relationship, which barely even materialized on screen (man, that movie was just awful and poorly structured).

And he really wasn't just the standard sort of villain. he was the hit man who was supposed to find Roberts and then road-tripped with her and actually had an arc of his own... as opposed to Man where he was really just the inciting incident to get the ball rolling on the entire movie.

The Sopranos ran from 1999 - 2007. The Mexican came out in March 2001 and Man Who Wasn't There came out in October 2001. I'd say they were made pretty close to one another and very shortly after The Sopranos premiered.

agreed.

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never saw Hudsucker or O Brother. O Brother has an awesome soundtrack though.

I loved O Brother and can highly recommend it.

If you liked the movie soundtrack you should check out "Down From The Mountain" which is a concert film with the artists. The MC was John Hartford. (One of my very favorite people ever.)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's say?

cheese, you are a writer ffs.

yeah, saw that there... new computer keys are messing with me typy, so instead of editing it, i decided that's my new catch phrase. deal with it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decent re-make..... the bride and I enjoyed it a lot.... but it was not 5 star great.

I have not read the book so I can only compare the movies:

Rooster - I generally disdain John Wayne movies (I'm a commie, I know....), but True Grit was a movie made especially for him. Bridges was very good in his interpretation of the character,, but it didn't work as well for me. Wayne wins.

Lebeouf - This character dies in the first film.... and he should have died 5 minutes into it. Glen Campbell was positively abysmal in this film - he only got the role because he was popular at the time. Matt Damon does a far better, more believable character and his verbal sparring with Rooster is great. Damon wins uncontested....

Mattie - I was no Kim Darby fan, but the new girl was simply too far over the top, quoting obscure law cases and bullying seasoned range cowboys. Darby's Mattie was irritating because she was precosious.... The new girl was simply irritating because of her material. Darby wins.

Ned Pepper.... Played by Barry Pepper, no less.... did a damned fine job.... He really looked the part and handled his lines well. On the other hand... will anyone ever be able to top Robert Duvall's "I'd call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man" line? It's a tie.

In my perfect world, I jerk Campbell out of the original and insert damon, and there you would have the best True Grit. IMHO, of course..... ;)

4 out of 5 stars

Btw.... Did anyone else notice that Wayne had his left eye patched and Bridges his right?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently watched it. Loved it! I'm not really a western fan, but this was good stuff.

O Brother has an awesome soundtrack though.

It's been several years and I can still hear that main song in my head.

The first Coen Brothers film to gross over $100 million in the United States.

(per IMDB)

Wow...that's hard to believe.

I'll have to think about my Coen Brothers list and come back to post it, since they're my favorite filmmakers.