True Grit (Coen Brothers)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, he sorta did. And, he did a credible Wayne in Big Trouble In Little China. Add in his multi-layered performance in The Soldier and you can clearly see why I consider him to be the actor of the century.

Steve

Hey, Kurt Russell's awesome!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Kurt Russell's awesome!

Did you really think I was bad-mouthing the guy. How many non-Kurt Russell fans do you think actually watched The Soldier? Heck, I'd have loved seeing him play Rooster Cogburn also.

So who's going to see True Grit this week?

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Damn! I came in here thinking I would see some good reviews on this movie and instead....

:hijack:
Arrrrgggghhh Matey!!!
:mulli:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn! I came in here thinking I would see some good reviews on this movie and instead....

:hijack:
Arrrrgggghhh Matey!!!

:mulli:

It's sort of a tradition with this thread, it's been hijacked a few times. I seem to remember a John Wayne war in here a few months ago. But, like you, I'm anxious to hear a review or two of this movie.

Steve

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just rewatched the original,...and am suddenly thinking it may not be so bad to go see a western in the theater.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch it yet?

We rarely see films in the theater these days...but I love the Coens, and grew up on Westerns (not a big JW fan but not a hater, but my dad sure was a huge fan...had a wall clock of him too). The Coens can do Western, and this movie looks fantastic.

Will be seeing....

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch it yet?

We rarely see films in the theater these days...but I love the Coens, and grew up on Westerns (not a big JW fan but not a hater, but my dad sure was...had a wall clock of him too). The Coens can do Western, and this movie looks fantastic.

Will be seeing....

I'm headed off to see it in about an hour. My brother saw it and said it was really good.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Just came back from seeing it. Well acted, well directed. The original was better in my opinion. Wayne just plays a better Cogburn.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I watched it last night with my folks. It was an excellent film. I think its main strength is that it was chock full of great characters. The main characters were done well too. I think the Coens would have ruined it if they'd have tried to make Bridges play Cogburn like John Wayne had. Thankfully they didn't.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it last night. I liked it and thought it was good pretty.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huge Coen bros fan and thought it was good, but not great and nowhere near the level of brilliance they showed in two of their last three films (No Country/Serious Man).

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Good movie. I'll definitely buy the DVD when it comes out.

It's hard to really compare the two films because film technology and production values have improved so much since the first True Grit. This film is much more Mattie's story than Rooster's, which I liked. The new Mattie played the role much truer to the original story and I enjoyed her portrayal more than Kim Darby's, although Darby did a good job as well.

I enjoyed most of the peripheral characters and supporting characters. Matt Damon's Laboeuf was infinitely better than Glen Campbell's. Jeff Bridges's Rooster Cogburn was undoubtedly a more realistic portrayal of someone who lived at that time, but I liked John Wayne's Cogburn better. Although, like I mentioned, John Wayne's character was much more the focus of the 1969 version than Jeff Bridges's character.

I also didn't like the "Old Mattie" in the 2010 version. Young Mattie was intelligent, determined and driven. The older Mattie just seemed hard and unfriendly.

Very good, but not great, IMO. 4 out of 5 stars.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good movie. I'll definitely buy the DVD when it comes out.

It's hard to really compare the two films because film technology and production values have improved so much since the first True Grit. This film is much more Mattie's story than Rooster's, which I liked. The new Mattie played the role much truer to the original story and I enjoyed her portrayal more than Kim Darby's, although Darby did a good job as well.

I enjoyed most of the peripheral characters and supporting characters. Matt Damon's Laboeuf was infinitely better than Glen Campbell's. Jeff Bridges's Rooster Cogburn was undoubtedly a more realistic portrayal of someone who lived at that time, but I liked John Wayne's Cogburn better. Although, like I mentioned, John Wayne's character was much more the focus of the 1969 version than Jeff Bridges's character.

I also didn't like the "Old Mattie" in the 2010 version. Young Mattie was intelligent, determined and driven. The older Mattie just seemed hard and unfriendly.

Very good, but not great, IMO. 4 out of 5 stars.

completely agreed about Old Mattie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was ok, towards the end I was starting to get a little antsy, but it was good.

You label it as "ok" and "good" in the same sentence. Did you upgrade it to good based solely on your realization that you got "a little antsy" towards the end?;)

Steve