True Grit (Coen Brothers)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You label it as "ok" and "good" in the same sentence. Did you upgrade it to good based solely on your realization that you got "a little antsy" towards the end?;)

Steve
I thought I knew where the movie was going, and it went there. But it was well acted, only the one part at the end sucked.(IMO) I would go further but I don't wanna spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen it, if you haven't seen it, don't click the spoiler.

Who left the Pirates of the Carribean skeleton prop full of snakes that bit her? I thought that was cheesy, I know she was afraid of being bitten the whole movie, but a nest of them in a dead pirate? :D

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a very good movie. Hailee Steinfeld was amazing in this movie. Holy cow was she good. Also this was one of the best looking movies made in a while. They did a great job using the scenery to their benefit.

As for old Mattie, would you be hard and unfriendly if you lost your arm at the age of 14?

One more note, I hope this can usher a wave of westerns. I love this style of movie and would love to see more (on the condition they are actually good).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a very good movie. Hailee Steinfeld was amazing in this movie. Holy cow was she good. Also this was one of the best looking movies made in a while. They did a great job using the scenery to their benefit.

As for old Mattie, would you be hard and unfriendly if you lost your arm at the age of 14?

One more note, I hope this can usher a wave of westerns. I love this style of movie and would love to see more (on the condition they are actually good).

Great, now you've ruined it for me. I'm not watching some stinking movie about a one armed kid. Also, I fail to see why losing your arm as a teenager should justify a bad attitude later in life.

Steve

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Great, now you've ruined it for me. I'm not watching some stinking movie about a one armed kid. Also, I fail to see why losing your arm as a teenager should justify a bad attitude later in life.

Steve

Back in the 1800s it was hard enough being a girl but being an one-armed girl I could easily see here mad at life.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Steve

Steve, I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is what happens in the book. (I watched the original True Grit last week on TCM. I haven't decided yet if I really want to see the new one. I realised The Duke's portrayal is too special to me.)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also call the movie very good, but not great. I really did like Bridges portrayal of Cogburn...I knew people as recently as 20 years ago that were very much like him in the northern mountains of New Mexico, where, incidently, much of the movie was filmed.

I wasn't bored at all, the movie could have even been longer and it wouldn't have bothered me.

As for old Mattie, she had every right to call a spade a spade when the loser didn't bother to stand to his feet for a lady. There are times I'd like to see women do it nowadays.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one will get better with each viewing... or at least it did for me and I liked it a lot the first time I saw.

not in my top 5 for the Coen's, but it's a pretty damn good one.

kinda off-topic, what are your Top 5 Coen Brothers movies? Here's mine:

1) Raising Arizona
2) Barton Fink
3) No Country For Old Men
4) Fargo
5) A Serious Man

Pretty damn impressive filmography these guys have considering I know that other people's number 1s for the Coen's are The Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing and I didn't even mention Blood Simple, O Brother Where Art Thou, or even their lighter, but still funny flicks like The Hudsucker Proxy and Burn After Reading.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
this one will get better with each viewing... or at least it did for me and I liked it a lot the first time I saw.

1) Raising Arizona
2) Barton Fink
4) Fargo
5) A Serious Man

Pretty damn impressive filmography these guys have considering I know that other people's number 1s for the Coen's are The Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing and I didn't even mention Blood Simple, O Brother Where Art Thou, or even their lighter, but still funny flicks like The Hudsucker Proxy and Burn After Reading.

Haven't seen True Grit yet (I'll probably try to catch it today or tomorrow), but here are my top 5:

1) Miller's Crossing
2) The Hudsucker Proxy
3) Raising Arizona
4) Fargo
5) O Brother Where Art Thou

They have a ton of good movies, so it's hard to go top 5. The only easy exclusion for me is No Country, which I didn't like. But that might be more because of the source material than the film itself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1) Raising Arizona
2) Barton Fink
4) Fargo
5) A Serious Man

I never could understand the popularity of Raising Arizona. I watched it 4 times (each time at the insistence of friends) and it never improved for me. All I could think of was what a waste of Randall Tex Cobb. And what was with Holly Hunter's accent?

My Five (haven't seen True Grit yet):

1. Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Miller's Crossing
4. The Hudsucker Proxy
5. Blood Simple

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never could understand the popularity of Raising Arizona. I watched it 4 times (each time at the insistence of friends) and it never improved for me. All I could think of was what a waste of Randall Tex Cobb. And what was with Holly Hunter's accent?

My Five (haven't seen True Grit yet):

1. Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Miller's Crossing
4. The Hudsucker Proxy
5. Blood Simple

Steve

Completely agree. Raising Arizona blows!

1. No country For Old Men
2. Fargo
3. Big Lebowski
4. Burn After Reading
5. True Grit

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. Raising Arizona blows!

1. No country For Old Men
2. Fargo
3. Big Lebowski
4. Burn After Reading
5. True Grit

Raising Arizona blows? Shane, read this aloud five times:

I am we todd did. I am sofa king we todd did.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
O brother (the songs still get stuck in my head)
Fargo
No country
True grit
Raising Arizona

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Lebowski
O'Brother
Fargo
Barton Fink
The Man Who Wasn't There

I used to really dig Raising Arizona ...... just watched it again about a month ago ....... I think I may put many more of their works above that now .... I think I may actually like Intolerable Cruelty more........................

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The Big Lebowski
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Fargo
4. Blood Simple
5. Burn After Reading

It's tough, because A Simple Man and o Brother are right there.

Haven't seen True Grit yet, though.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burn after Reading
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Everything else they made is garbage.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burn after Reading
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Everything else they made is garbage.

But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw, I lost my train of thought here.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ladykillers? That was awful.

I have to believe Donald was being facetious with that post. Intolerable Cruelty was just that and i'd rather kill myself than watch the Ladykillers again. Two of the three worst movies they've ever made.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score