True Grit (Coen Brothers)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Variety, Joel and Ethan Coen will next put their spin on True Grit, the iconic Western that won John Wayne an Oscar.

The Paramount film will be more faithful to the Charles Portis book than the 1969 pic, also distributed by Paramount.

Portis' novel is about a 14-year-old girl who, along with an aging U.S. marshal and another lawman, tracks her father's killer in hostile Indian territory.

But while the original film was a showcase for Wayne, the Coens' version will tell the tale from the girl's point of view.

The project reteams the brothers with Scott Rudin, their partner on the Oscar-winning No Country for Old Men. The Coens wrote the screenplay.

The original starred Kim Darby as the teen, Wayne and Glen Campbell as the lawmen, Jeff Corey as the killer and featured Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper as fellow outlaws.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let's paint over a Picaso while we're at it!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame Ted Turner. He colorized Red River. Unholy precedent.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am done with the Coen Brothers. I would burn this before watching.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be okay, I guess. Just keep George Clooney and Brad Pitt trying to be funny away from it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As a John Wayne fan, I'm hesitant on this movie. But with the Coens and with a great trailer, I'm a little excited for it. Cast is pretty interesting too. I like the casting of Josh Brolin as John Chaney.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've never seen the original and am planning on keeping it that way as I don't want anything spoiled.

CAN'T WAIT for this sucker! The Coen's seem to be getting better with age after that rough patch of Ladykillers/Intolerable Cruelty.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've never seen the original and am planning on keeping it that way as I don't want anything spoiled.

CAN'T WAIT for this sucker! The Coen's seem to be getting better with age after that rough patch of Ladykillers/Intolerable Cruelty/Burn after Reading.
fixed

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

CAN'T WAIT for this sucker! The Coen's seem to be getting better with age after that rough patch of Ladykillers/Intolerable Cruelty.

So you'd rather see the remake than the original? Strange.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially since John Wayne won his only Oscar for his performance in the original. I love Jeff Bridges, but he's the only hesitation I have about the movie.
Yep, I am tired of seeing Bridges play the same grouchy long hair role.

And, if he plays John Wayne in a Big Jake remake, my head will explode. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

My question is why they chose True Grit. I'd think something like Red River would be more interesting to remake. Not that I'd support it, though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So you tell him: And now you understand. Anybody remakes Big Jake, anyone at all - your remake, my remake, anybody's remake - it won't matter - I'm gonna blow my head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow my head off.

That should stop him.:D

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you tell him: And now you understand. Anybody remakes Big Jake, anyone at all - your remake, my remake, anybody's remake - it won't matter - I'm gonna blow my head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow my head off.

That should stop him.:D

Steve
No thanks on the peaches. Hurts my teeth.

Steve, you are my new best friend.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is why they chose True Grit. I'd think something like Red River would be more interesting to remake. Not that I'd support it, though.

Yeah, I would have gone for The Quiet Man. As for supporting John Wayne remakes, I actually think it could be kind of fun. Find a young "Duke" and use him to remake much of the John Wayne library and if done right it could be interesting.

Keeping it true to the spirit of the original would be a bit difficult though as men and women (and Native Americans for that matter) have much different roles in society today (imaging a movie such as McClintock if they had to avoid the sexist overtones of the original). But I agree with Mulli - No Big Jake remake.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would have gone for The Quiet Man. As for supporting John Wayne remakes, I actually think it could be kind of fun. Find a young "Duke" and use him to remake much of the John Wayne library and if done right it could be interesting.

Keeping it true to the spirit of the original would be a bit difficult though as men and women (and Native Americans for that matter) have much different roles in society today (imaging a movie such as McClintock if they had to avoid the sexist overtones of the original).

Steve
I wish they could just make original Westerns. Coen Brothers could do it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks on the peaches. Hurts my teeth.

Steve, you are my new best friend.

And now of course, I'm going to have to re-watch Big Jake tonight. Not that that's much of a burden or anything. I swear, not a week goes by that either my wife or I don't use a line from that movie. The most used phrase for us: Not hardly.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Keeping it true to the spirit of the original would be a bit difficult though as men and women (and Native Americans for that matter) have much different roles in society today (imaging a movie such as McClintock if they had to avoid the sexist overtones of the original). But I agree with Mulli - No Big Jake remake.

Steve

There will never be a young Duke, mainly because the Western will never be a popular genre again and society has too much political correctness.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they could just make original Westerns. Coen Brothers could do it.

You quoted me while I was editing my previous post.

I'd like to see the Coen Brothers do some original westerns and I would like to see the right person remake many of the Wayne films. I do not want to see the Coens remake Wayne films however. I don't want a JJ Abrams kind of revisioning either (despite the fact I love what he did with Star Trek).

I love the Duke and would enjoy revisiting his movies the way his movies were done. They'll never take the place of the originals for me but done right, I'd fall in the more is better crowd. But can a real hero make it in today's cinema? Actually, that is probably the reason the Coen Brothers chose True Grit and they probably also considered The Shootist.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now of course, I'm going to have to re-watch Big Jake tonight. Not that that's much of a burden or anything. I swear, not a week goes by that either my wife or I don't use a line from that movie. The most used phrase for us: Not hardly.

Steve
I remember that one. I wish I could remember quotes from the Duke's terrible actor son, as well as Mitchum's terrible actor son.

I heart that movie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard