Trey Mcbride has only 129 receiving yards in 10 starts

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
What is wrong with this man and why was he drafted in the 2nd round?
Because the team’s GM isn’t capable of looking at his team and seeing reality. The team needs offensive and defensive linemen and he drafts linebackers. The team need CB and the team trades for a wide receiver or drafts another diminutive wideout. The team’s QB is marginal in many areas and the GM rewards him with a team-killing, long-term contract.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
McBride is only a rookie playing for a team where the wheels have come off. I think he is doing better with every chance he gets, and I expect him to improve. Let's not be so impulsive
This, plus his blocking is excellent. On this list of things wrong with the team and Keim, drafting McBride is at or near the bottom.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
To add on, he's only had 22 targets (just like several other Cards receivers, he's been open a lot but QBs haven't thrown to him) and since Ertz has gone down, McBrides production has gone up.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another player taken at a questionable spot by Steve Keim and reaps the disdain for it. He may turn out to be a stud but it's hard to judge in this crap show of a season.

Definitely not the pick when he was taken but what else is new?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People need to stop hating on players that haven't done anything wrong.

I get being pissed at the Org but taking it out on young kids that are the future of the team in below the belt.

TE is one of the toughest transitions in football and he's playing on an offense that not only rarely uses two TE's but had Zach Ertz to throw to for 10 games (and that has also sucked).

Cole Kmet was drafted #43 and had 243 yards as a rookie and he played in all 16 and started 9. He had 612 last year.

On top of that I and other have highlighted mutliple times he's been open, including for TD's, and been missed. He could easily have 150 more yards minimum in a TE2 role.

McBride is going to be fine. You can see he has talent if you watch the player and ignore the stats.

It's very rare for a TE to come in and blow the stat sheet up. Even for high first round picks. The last rookie TE to pass 500 yards was Noah Fant in 2019 and Mark Andrews the year before at 552.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I get being pissed at the Org but taking it out on young kids that are the future of the team in below the belt.

TE is one of the toughest transitions in football and he's playing on an offense that not only rarely uses two TE's but had Zach Ertz to throw to for 10 games (and that has also sucked).

Cole Kmet was drafted #43 and had 243 yards as a rookie and he played in all 16 and started 9. He had 612 last year.

On top of that I and other have highlighted mutliple times he's been open, including for TD's, and been missed. He could easily have 150 more yards minimum in a TE2 role.

McBride is going to be fine. You can see he has talent if you watch the player and ignore the stats.

It's very rare for a TE to come in and blow the stat sheet up. Even for high first round picks. The last rookie TE to pass 500 yards was Noah ant in 2019 and Mark Andrews the year before at 552.
All making him a bewilderingly stupid 2nd round draft pick in 2022. If he was a later round pick, or a guy on a very talented roster, no worries. For us? Massively stupid pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's very rare for a TE to come in and blow the stat sheet up. Even for high first round picks. The last rookie TE to pass 500 yards was Noah ant in 2019 and Mark Andrews the year before at 552.

the weird thing is why single out Trey coming off literally the best game of his career as if he was somehow the reason we lost to Denver? He hasn't been great but he was actually good yesterday. It's not his fault everything around him is a dumpster fire. I expect him to be our #1 TE next year because at least at the beginning of the year it's very unlikely Ertz will be back coming off 2 torn ligaments in his knee at his age

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All making him a bewilderingly stupid 2nd round draft pick in 2022. If he was a later round pick, or a guy on a very talented roster, no worries. For us? Massively stupid pick.
He wasn't a stupid pick if you planned to use him for significant snaps and as a 2nd or 3rd receiving option. Hell, he may become more valuable in a different scheme. Maybe he was drafted a round too high but the biggest issue with taking McBride was his limited ceiling with Ertz on the roster and our offensive scheme.

Stout

Reaction score
He wasn't a stupid pick if you planned to use him for significant snaps and as a 2nd or 3rd receiving option. Hell, he may become more valuable in a different scheme. Maybe he was drafted a round too high but the biggest issue with taking McBride was his limited ceiling with Ertz on the roster and our offensive scheme.
Which we didn't, and which he has absolutely not provided. I like that the kid had a good game, especially in his home state, and he has been better of late. He is also a victim of being on a dumpster fire team and in a bad situation. All that said, he was injured early, very bad early (remember he continually had more penalty yardage than yards receiving), and was drafted much too high for us. In essence, and to reiterate, a bad 2nd-round pick for us this year. If circumstances were different...but they aren't.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All true - but not McBride's fault.

Note he did have 55 yards yesterday, only 5 behind DHop, and had the best YPC of any of the recievers.

Stout

Reaction score
All true - but not McBride's fault.

Note he did have 55 yards yesterday, only 5 behind DHop, and had the best YPC of any of the recievers.
No, not his fault, but it doesn't change the situation. I'm also not faulting the kid himself for getting picked so high. Good for him for managing that. I'm only faulting the kid for having more penalty yards than receiving yards for, like, half the season. I'm faulting Keim for...well, everything lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
...except we could've used a top talent to contribute immediately and not burned a 2nd-rounder on a long-term project at TE that might be the next Austin Hooper.
we are talking about the 55th pick overall. go through the next 30 guys picked: how many have contributed in a meaningful way this year? not many.

If "long-tem" = more than their rookie season, then 80% of picks in that range are long-term projects.

im not saying he is great. Im saying its wayyyy too early to write him off

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Solid so far but thought he would be more electric after the catch. Seems to just absorb contact like a bowling pin.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Which we didn't, and which he has absolutely not provided. I like that the kid had a good game, especially in his home state, and he has been better of late. He is also a victim of being on a dumpster fire team and in a bad situation. All that said, he was injured early, very bad early (remember he continually had more penalty yardage than yards receiving), and was drafted much too high for us. In essence, and to reiterate, a bad 2nd-round pick for us this year. If circumstances were different...but they aren't.
I feel like similar was said about Simmons and Collins and Murphy. He can be an ok player and also be over-drafted and a bad fit for what we do and the roster we have. I see no point in burying McBride when the guy who drafted him and the guy whose scheme he doesn't fit in are likely gone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
My crystal ball is telling me Trey McHousler will still have people defending him in 3 years despite minimal productivity. This organization’s track record with that position is so pathetic.

And yeah he’s an NFL player, but you only spend a 2nd round pick on a TE unless you know he’s going to be a playmaker. You can find guys who can block and make 1-2 catches a game on the street and put them the minimum.

Stout

Reaction score
we are talking about the 55th pick overall. go through the next 30 guys picked: how many have contributed in a meaningful way this year? not many.

If "long-tem" = more than their rookie season, then 80% of picks in that range are long-term projects.

im not saying he is great. Im saying its wayyyy too early to write him off
Who's writing him off?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Solid so far but thought he would be more electric after the catch. Seems to just absorb contact like a bowling pin.
very true on this

although: one of my complaints about Kliffs offense is that so many of the routes are hitches and comebacks where your YAC oppty is limited

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose