Trey Mcbride has only 129 receiving yards in 10 starts

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair on this argument:

1) Sharpe's rookie season was over 30 years ago
2) Sharpe was a 7th round pick
3) 53 receptions, 640 yards, and 2 TDs was somehow enough to make the Pro Bowl in 1993

Wild times.

There are more recent examples. With 3 games left McBride should finih around 180-200 yards at his current rate.

Mike Gesicki had 202 as a rookie. Hurst 163. Conklin 77. Goedert 334. Alie-Cox 133. Higbee 85.

Plus can anyone really say that McBride has been featured in this offense as you would expect a 2nd round pick to be?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My point was making long term decisions based on first year performance is not reliable. Maybe you’ll like a comparison to former Card, Todd Heap. He was drafted in round 1 in 2001. He appeared in just 12 games in year one, making only 16 receptions for 206 yards. He lasted 12 years averaging over 450 yards per season.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Because 7th round picks usually have lower expectations and more time to develop than 2nd round picks?

That’s why they’re chosen five rounds higher?
I was noting current production of the rookie in relation to Sharpe and not perception and expectations of the draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that you expect Todd Heap and Shannon Sharpe-type production from McBride -- starting next year?

I know that one of you was asserting in camp that McBride was a finished enough product to be the #3 receiver on the outside to start the season.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
My point was making long term decisions based on first year performance is not reliable. Maybe you’ll like a comparison to former Card, Todd Heap. He was drafted in round 1 in 2001. He appeared in just 12 games in year one, making only 16 receptions for 206 yards. He lasted 12 years averaging over 450 yards per season.
Why are we comparing receiving stats from players from 20 years ago? The game is night and day different here in 2022.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two different arguments here.

McBride is talented and will be a good NFL TE for the right team in the right offense. Worthy of his draft position.

None of that really applies to the 2022 Cards and we should have drafted an Edge. Which isn't McBrides fault.

This has been my stance all along. I think Trey will be a good player, we should not have drafted a TE in the 2nd round. In some sense Keim lucked out because the injury to Ertz, and Maxx not being ready to go, actually somewhat "justifies" picking Trey. But we sure could have used someone else on the OL or DL, edge etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This has been my stance all along. I think Trey will be a good player, we should not have drafted a TE in the 2nd round. In some sense Keim lucked out because the injury to Ertz, and Maxx not being ready to go, actually somewhat "justifies" picking Trey. But we sure could have used someone else on the OL or DL, edge etc.

At the same time, with all the injuries we have had these season whoever we picked we likely still suck.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are we comparing receiving stats from players from 20 years ago? The game is night and day different here in 2022.

I've already done recent ones and nothing much has changed. Tight Ends nearly all struggle in year one.

The last one to do anything siginificant was Evan Engram. And he's now, well, Evan Engram...

Mike Gesicki had 202 as a rookie. Hurst 163. Conklin 77. Goedert 334. Alie-Cox 133. Higbee 85.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
What is wrong with this man and why was he drafted in the 2nd round?
So strange how almost every reply basically answers your question with “nothing, he’s a rookie” and “he’s a 2nd round talent, but we had other needs so don’t know why WE drafted him in the 2nd round”. And yet, despite agreeing with each other, people somehow argue…

“Water is wet”
“WRONG!!! Water is NOT DRY!!!”

Gotta love message boards. lol. Not complaining, just an observation.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that you expect Todd Heap and Shannon Sharpe-type production from McBride -- starting next year?

I know that one of you was asserting in camp that McBride was a finished enough product to be the #3 receiver on the outside to start the season.
No, what we are saying, at least me, that all time greats like Sharpe had lesser production, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that though maybe not elite, he becomes a good player regardless of his draft position. Personally, I never entertained a notion of him being a #3 WR and also think he has blocked well for a rookie but not stating he was great. I saw the comparison between Sharpe or Heap on the extreme side of the spectrum as ample proof not to dump on the guy so early. This forum has a way of seldom finding middle ground between suck and shine lol

Harry

Reaction score

I would not have taken a TE in round 2. That said, I‘ve seen enough to believe McBride is going to be an excellent TE. His blocking has surprised me. He‘s much better than Ertz already. As to his receiving skills Murray’s history of having to build trust before targeting receivers is becoming apparent. That‘s why the Cards acquired 2 of his former targets. McBride will be as good as Murray lets him be. It’s also important to note Kingsbury’s offense is not TE oriented, like the Pats, for example. Being the second TE in his offense is not a showcase. McBride is only now getting a chance.

Harry

Reaction score
Even in today’s pass heavy offense’s Heaps average would have ranked him 11th. Only time will really settle this, but I think McBride will prove to be a good receiver.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People need to stop hating on players that haven't done anything wrong.

I get being pissed at the Org but taking it out on young kids that are the future of the team in below the belt.

TE is one of the toughest transitions in football and he's playing on an offense that not only rarely uses two TE's but had Zach Ertz to throw to for 10 games (and that has also sucked).

Cole Kmet was drafted #43 and had 243 yards as a rookie and he played in all 16 and started 9. He had 612 last year.

On top of that I and other have highlighted mutliple times he's been open, including for TD's, and been missed. He could easily have 150 more yards minimum in a TE2 role.

McBride is going to be fine. You can see he has talent if you watch the player and ignore the stats.

It's very rare for a TE to come in and blow the stat sheet up. Even for high first round picks. The last rookie TE to pass 500 yards was Noah Fant in 2019 and Mark Andrews the year before at 552.
This 100%… the only thing to question at this point is why take a TE when there were more important needs elsewhere? And why take a TE when the system really didn’t cater to traditional TE passing patterns?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly the point. That the kid has been pretty bad up until recently really didn't help either. I'll grant him time, because he's young and in bad circumstances, but those penalties can't be excused away. More penalty yards than receiving yards for a long stretch of the season is a bad look. Certainly we can't write him off yet, but let's also not pretend he's a guaranteed good TE and worthy of his draft position moving forward. There's no way to know that.

My prediction? He has a very average career, isn't a huge receiving threat, but is a decent enough blocker to have a 6 or 7 year JAG career. Not bad for him, not great for us, and not 2nd round worthy. Not let's hope he proves me wrong in a big bad way.
So a career basically like Kiem wanted - Austin Hooper!

Now that will never get old.. imagine being a GM. 1 of 32, people have worked their entire lives to achieve this position… have been skipped over for all sorts of reasons.. and you just bragged while being recorded for Hardknocks that you scored the next “who gives a crap player that no one will remember” in the second round!

That’s no knock on McBride, I sure as heck he will be better than that.. but just laughable to what Kiem was aspiring for with the pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

McBride will be as good as our offense and Kyler allows him to be.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In
It's because it's alphabetical isn't it?

Arizona comes first.
Good catch Russ—you’re right. I suppose my desire to see that we’re tops in something had me hoping SK had made the worst selection in the draft. ;)

Harry

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if he has a nice game Sunday. McSorley will be used to throwing to him, plus he’ll be often looking for an outlet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson