Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What's missing in this whole silly argument is that Oubre is a better player than Brooks. Period. But nobody addresses that. He might not fill our immediate need, but he IS better.
If we can find a team that is heavy on PGs, but low on wings we might be able to make a swap pretty much straight up. My guess is we will do something by the deadline, but it may not happen until that time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we can find a team that is heavy on PGs, but low on wings we might be able to make a swap pretty much straight up. My guess is we will do something by the deadline, but it may not happen until that time.
OK. Its time to watch them play. But Oubre might be a better player than JJ. He is longer. He is more under control. Honestly, he is consistently a better defender. Maybe we deal JJ for a pg.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
OK. Its time to watch them play. But Oubre might be a better player than JJ. He is longer. He is more under control. Honestly, he is consistently a better defender. Maybe we deal JJ for a pg.
JJ is also 2 years younger in his career. To me JJ has far more upside than Oubre and they are already pretty close as players right now. On top of that JJ is still on his rookie contract for two more years and Oubre is going to cost a good amount to keep around. There is no way I trade JJ if we can make the trade happen with Oubre.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's missing in this whole silly argument is that Oubre is a better player than Brooks. Period. But nobody addresses that. He might not fill our immediate need, but he IS better.

Probably. But even though they are almost the same age, Oubre has 2 more years in the NBA than Dillon. And I'd say Brooks has been a better player so far than Oubre was during his first 2 seasons. Also, Dillon has always had the reputation for coming up big in big moments. I'd probably give Kelly the edge overall in pure value but mostly because Brooks also has a reputation for being injured often. Regardless, I don't care much for Oubre's game so hopefully someone around the league believes in him enough to trade for him before the deadline.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I was thinking about that too. Isn't Oubre what we hope JJ will turn into a couple of years from now? If he doesn't get a crazy offer in the summer, they could match it and just keep him, if he is OK playing off the bench.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was thinking about that too. Isn't Oubre what we hope JJ will turn into a couple of years from now? If he doesn't get a crazy offer in the summer, they could match it and just keep him, if he is OK playing off the bench.

I don't think Oubre is as dynamic as Jackson. He's got good D and passable 3 point shooting, but that's about it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh man I hope not. Oubre, if he can stop being so selfish and IF he can improve his shot, especially from distance, and if he can ever live up to the hype about his defense, he will become a younger version of Trevor Ariza. But despite highlight athleticism, great measurables and a strong work ethic, right now he's at best an average 7th man. And unrelated to the Jackson comparison, Kelly is only 23 and has a lot of potential but reportedly he's looking for a much bigger contract than his play would justify.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think JJ has the potential to be far better than Oubre. I always come back to this, but just look at some of the best two way wings in the league right now and look at their numbers when they were in their first couple seasons. JJ has the talent IMO as some of the best two way wings in the league, but it will take time for him to develop to that level.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This makes zero sense whatsoever as he would've been the best PG on the roster. Only way this makes sense is if the Suns turn around and get another PG.

yes, that's what it looks like to me.
another Suns move that doesn't no continuity and is part of no plan

1.a couple of posters claim to know he's a bad seed
i'll accept that take, and assume the Suns knew that
but then, why this trade?

2. if he was dumped because he didn't want to be here. why didn't they know that before making the deal?

3. the trade couldn't have been about Oubre. he wasn't even supposed to be in the deal.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, the $arver take is old. There are plenty of other valid criticisms.

an oldie, but a goodie
we're struggline to make sense of this from a fans perspective
Sarver is foremost, a businessman
considering the team is going nowhere this season
if Sarver could have saved even a couple of hundred thousand on this deal
that's enough reason for him to do it

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JJ is much quicker than oubre which makes him more explosive. Right now he’s challenged with using that advantage to an actual advantage but if he harnesses it and develops even a passable 3pt shot (neither are beyond reasonably possible) he’ll be special. Oubre will never be special.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was largely a crap for crap trade even before it was changed.

"crap for crap" is crap.
teams vying for the playoffs had good reason to want to add Ariza
he performed in the recent past and other teams accepted the excuses for him being unmotivated here.
indeed, his last couple of games he looked like a valid contributor with the motivation of the trade looming

i surely didn't expect much from an Ariza trade
but we should always expect something that moves the Suns forward and fits within a cohesive plan for progress

if "addition by subtraction" was the goal, benching Ariza could have accomplished that too
and saved us all a lot of typing

this team seems to be in "addition by subtraction" mode an awful lot!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yes, that's what it looks like to me.
another Suns move that doesn't no continuity and is part of no plan

1.a couple of posters claim to know he's a bad seed
i'll accept that take, and assume the Suns knew that
but then, why this trade?

2. if he was dumped because he didn't want to be here. why didn't they know that before making the deal?

3. the trade couldn't have been about Oubre. he wasn't even supposed to be in the deal.

Because the salaries had to match to trade Ariza.

Basically it seems the suns wanted a replacement for Ariza. Brooks was their first choice because he had a low dollar contract for 2 more years. Oubre was the fallback plan.

Did they actually want Rivers and he threw a fit when informed he was traded to the suns, I don't know, but looking at his stats and the fact he would eat into the development of Melton/Okobo and had no chance of staying here, I don't have a big problem with it.

The Suns are in a weird place where they should try and win - but the reality is they cannot make the playoffs, and being one of the 4 or 5 worst teams one more year actually might be for the best.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Basically it seems the suns wanted a replacement for Ariza. Brooks was their first choice because he had a low dollar contract for 2 more years. Oubre was the fallback plan.

Did they actually want Rivers and he threw a fit when informed he was traded to the suns, I don't know, but looking at his stats and the fact he would eat into the development of Melton/Okobo and had no chance of staying here, I don't have a big problem with it.

The Suns are in a weird place where they should try and win - but the reality is they cannot make the playoffs, and being one of the 4 or 5 worst teams one more year actually might be for the best.
I don’t know what we keep talking about the development of okobo when he’s no longer seeing the court. He seems to have fallen outta favor for Evans rather quickly.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So, looks like there's only two of us on the keep Oubre, get rid of Jackson bandwagon. I'll have to watch him closer. Perhaps he is not as good as I think he is.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they could co-exist on the second unit. Jackson seems open in any way shape or form to contribute to the team, im sure he's aware of his shooting woes.

First unit:

Melton Booker Bridges Warren Ayton

Second:

Crawford Jackson Oubre Holmes

Oubre does add some size and length we need. Another thing to consider is injuries. We can't keep waiving and buying out people, at some point we need to hope they develop even though we suck at that as an organization.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

They got off to such a horrendous start that they could both win and still end up being one of the 4 or 5 worst teams.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What a dick

On NBA radio Eddie Johnson mentioned that Ariza wasn't really a leader on the team and not really vocal about anything or trying to coach anyone IIRC.

Seems true. I mean it was night and day between the attitudes of Crawford coming on and Ariza coming on the team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well, his new team is in the East, and they only have five more wins right now. They also have a crippling contracts of John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Otto Porter, and zero young talent. Enjoy DC, douchebag!

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the moral of the Ariza story is a vet with a championship ring coming from a top championship contender last season is not a good fit with the last place team last season