Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Quite true and very disappointing from a veteran. However, I am even more alarmed that the amenities in Phoenix apparently don't measure up. This is a player's league, having a chef for team food and top notch facilities should be a must.
That's part of the reason for the budget they are trying to get approved. Specifically a new practice facility. Even still completely giving up on a team from the moment you get there because they don't have a team chef or a state of the art practice facility is complete crap.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's part of the reason for the budget they are trying to get approved. Specifically a new practice facility. Even still completely giving up on a team from the moment you get there because they don't have a team chef or a state of the art practice facility is complete crap.

Yeah, I wasn't intending to excuse his behavior. But I am surprised there is no team chef (or, team of chefs) on staff.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You mean they need to provide a chef to these guys who make millions of dollars?

Isn't there a McDonald's near by?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean they need to provide a chef to these guys who make millions of dollars?

If other teams do it, yes, in order to be competitive you need to do things like provide Chefs and Nutritionists.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite true and very disappointing from a veteran. However, I am even more alarmed that the amenities in Phoenix apparently don't measure up. This is a player's league, having a chef for team food and top notch facilities should be a must.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this crap, but I'm not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all tried to rationalize the Ariza signing, but it really did not make sense for McDonough to spend all the free agency money on Ariza.

Some say it was Igor's decision, however, Igor does not seem to be much involved with personnel decisions like with the trade for Rivers and Oubre. He seemed content with this trade or the previous proposed version.

This seemed to be the call of Jones and Sarver.

man... this just seems like spin. ALL the reporting is that Koko wanted Ariza as his number one target. I get not wanting to believe everyone involved in the organization is a complete disaster, but you can only spin Igor's words so much.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't blame Kokoskov for targeting Ariza. On paper, he looked like a good fit -- except for the minor detail that the team already had 19 small forwards, but never mind that. All of the talking heads liked the signing too; I don't think anyone foresaw that he'd be a total pouty jerk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame Kokoskov for targeting Ariza. On paper, he looked like a good fit -- except for the minor detail that the team already had 19 small forwards, but never mind that. All of the talking heads liked the signing too; I don't think anyone foresaw that he'd be a total pouty jerk.

I didn't think he'd be a pouty jerk. I just thought it was a relatively pointless signing spending money to could have been spent on either a PG or a PF... or if we signed a Tony Parker for a one or two year like he signed, a PG and a PF. i believe my exact reaction was:

"meh. at least it's just a one year deal."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... this just seems like spin. ALL the reporting is that Koko wanted Ariza as his number one target. I get not wanting to believe everyone involved in the organization is a complete disaster, but you can only spin Igor's words so much.

We don't know the context of the conversation between McD and Koko but I think it's fair to say, our coach wanted him. McD probably played it up a bit but I doubt he manufactured it completely. But I also think it's safe to say the Ariza we got was not the one we thought we'd signed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did some research to ease my mind and clarify the issue. You and others are indeed correct. Igor wanted Ariza at least per McDonough. Somehow this information didn't stick with me.

This is from a USA Today article:

"We need his defensive ability and versatility, his shooting ability," McDonough said, "but I think as much as anything, maybe more than anything, we need his leadership and his winning pedigree."

When the Suns had their first interview with new coach Igor Kokoskov, they asked what free agent out there would fit the team's needs.

"I swear the first words out of his mouth was Trevor Ariza," McDonough said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ide-talent-leadership-to-young-team/36685723/

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ariza had an impressive stat line in his first game (this season) for the Wizards, including 6 steals.

However, he also shot 6-17 and the Wizards lost by 8.

To the Hawks.

The Hawks.

They lost.

To the Atlanta Hawks.

:biglaugh:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ariza had an impressive stat line in his first game (this season) for the Wizards, including 6 steals.

To the Hawks.

The Hawks.

They lost.

To the Atlanta Hawks.

:biglaugh:

Looking forward to Saturday's game. Will love it if the Suns give them an L.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you recall, Igor was interviewed in the middle of the Jazz/Rockets series. It's not surprising that a current playoff opponent would be the first player to come to his mind.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To the Hawks.

The Hawks.

They lost.

To the Atlanta Hawks.

Well, that sucks. Thanks Ariza, now we're back in last place.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

This is such a dumb take tbh, typical populist outrage these days.

It is normal for pro sports teams to provide these services especially since they have a interest in players eating the right way to be in the best shape possible.

What does that have to do with him making millions? Do you imagine 15 players on the roster all employing a personal chef and bringing 15 chefs and staff to the practice facilities?

Not to mention what are they going to do at the Suns practice facilities? They are so outdated I doubt they can even provide the infracture for a team chef.

Bash Ariza is you like your populist outrage take but this stuff simply reflects poorly on the Suns and is just sad.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is such a dumb take tbh, typical populist outrage these days.

It is normal for pro sports teams to provide these services especially since they have a interest in players eating the right way to be in the best shape possible.

What does that have to do with him making millions? Do you imagine 15 players on the roster all employing a personal chef and bringing 15 chefs and staff to the practice facilities?

Not to mention what are they going to do at the Suns practice facilities? They are so outdated I doubt they can even provide the infracture for a team chef.

Bash Ariza is you like your populist outrage take but this stuff simply reflects poorly on the Suns and is just sad.
I agree that they should have these things (bringing these things to the team is part of the proposed renovations). I also understand Ariza not being happy with the lack of those things on the Suns, but using that as an excuse to quit on the team is incredibly weak.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't think he'd be a pouty jerk. I just thought it was a relatively pointless signing spending money to could have been spent on either a PG or a PF... or if we signed a Tony Parker for a one or two year like he signed, a PG and a PF. i believe my exact reaction was:

"meh. at least it's just a one year deal."
But the problem with Ariza was not that he was a forward. He plays the pf position in today's NBA just fine. The problem was that he was a pouty jerk.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I grant that. BTW, the Chef and the practice facility is on Sarver, not the city. That will have an impact on free agency I think.

But it is still not a reason to dog it on the court. That is unacceptable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned but these comments from Duane Rankin at azcentral makes it clear, the Suns waived Rivers because he didn't want to be with a rebuilding team.

Perhaps he will come to regret this when he searches for a new contract.

The Suns ended up shipping Ariza to Washington for Austin Rivers and Kelly Oubre Jr., but Rivers wasn’t interested in joining a team in the midst of a rebuild.

So, Phoenix waived Rivers, but Jones said the Suns are “happy” with the acquisition of the 6-foot-7 Oubre, who is averaging at career-best 12.9 points per game this season.

“He fits what we’re doing,” Jones said. “He’s a good fit for us and we’re excited about that.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...es-chandler-buyout-recent-success/2357940002/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I grant that. BTW, the Chef and the practice facility is on Sarver, not the city. That will have an impact on free agency I think.

Agreed, on all counts.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned but these comments from Duane Rankin at azcentral makes it clear, the Suns waived Rivers because he didn't want to be with a rebuilding team.

Perhaps he will come to regret this when he searches for a new contract.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...es-chandler-buyout-recent-success/2357940002/

I'm okay with his feeling because we don't need a person with that attitude as it has already been noted that the guy isn't well liked league wide. Him saying this proves that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The practice area is quite small. I did a tour when I considered getting season tickets or and I was amazed how compact that area was. I'm not sure what upgrades they seek though.

Cuban set the bar with all his amenities.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The practice area is quite small. I did a tour when I considered getting season tickets or and I was amazed how compact that area was. I'm not sure what upgrades they seek though.

Cuban set the bar with all his amenities.
From what I understand they want to build a whole new practice facility away from the arena. I suspect part of that will be a kitchen and dining area for a team chef as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This suggests to me the Suns should be very selective in adding players to the roster. The players they add should be self motivated and eager to succeed. Usually this is found in younger players.

The Suns need less of high priced veterans who who want to ride a gravy train.

There are of course exceptions like Crawford who came to the Suns on a reasonable contract because he wanted to be here. It looks like Anderson and Daniels have been doing their part as well.

Jones also credits veteran Jamal Crawford, Ryan Anderson and Troy Daniels for helping develop the Suns' young team, which features 22-year-old Devin Booker and 20-year-old Ayton, who is one of five rookies on the roster.

“Those guys are really leading our young guys and showing them what it means to be professionals,” Jones said. “So, it’s translated.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn