Training Camp You Gotta Love It!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im curious how many out of staters like myself have made the trip to Flag for training camp?

Granted I am only 4.5 hours away by car so its not like it is some substantial trip for myself. But I must say that it is well worth it and I would travel across the country to make training camp every year if thats what it took!

I hope that all of you Cardinal fans from the east and guys a little closer like Russ Smith here in the west get the chance to experience this at least once in your life.

The intimate setting that the Cards have going at Flagstaff is second to none! Your access to the players your ability to be so close to the field. The ability to listen to the coaches and the players work and put together the product you long for every Sunday is quite an experience!

Not to mention the extreme beauty of Northern AZ. All of the wonderful bars and shops and the oldtime feeling that you get from being in Flag really just tops the whole trip off IMO!

If you can I hope that many of you Card fans would make your plans now and come see this truly spectacular setting that takes place every July and early August up in Flagstaff it is a trip that any true Card fan would think is well worth the cost and the memories last a lifetime!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yes sir, I go every year!

Although I love the fans support, it sure was cool when there wasnt many people out there!

It's has been packed for several years now...

But yes it is a very cool experience!

Jim O

Reaction score
Stop it Shane. AHHHHHHHHHHH! I wish that it started tomorrow!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
Stop it Shane. AHHHHHHHHHHH! I wish that it started tomorrow!

No kidding Jim!

It truly is an experience that I think every cards fan should endure for at least a few days.

They surely wouldnt regret it!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
dood last year I ended up going and HOPING to find a hotel room!!! HAHA not a chance, I had to drive half way back to Phoenix before I found a small place that had 1 room left... So in the morning I only had to drive HALF way back up there again! But it was cool...

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
dood last year I ended up going and HOPING to find a hotel room!!! HAHA not a chance, I had to drive half way back to Phoenix before I found a small place that had 1 room left... So in the morning I only had to drive HALF way back up there again! But it was cool...

It definately pays to have some planning done when going there that is for sure!

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some day when I get out of the Military I have that on my list of things to do! Now if I can talk my wife into it!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona99
Some day when I get out of the Military I have that on my list of things to do! Now if I can talk my wife into it!

Take some leave you know some of that 30 days a year you acrue and then grab the wife by the hair and drag her all the way to Flag! :thumbup:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Im curious how many out of staters like myself have made the trip to Flag for training camp?

Granted I am only 4.5 hours away by car so its not like it is some substantial trip for myself. But I must say that it is well worth it and I would travel across the country to make training camp every year if thats what it took!

I hope that all of you Cardinal fans from the east and guys a little closer like Russ Smith here in the west get the chance to experience this at least once in your life.

The intimate setting that the Cards have going at Flagstaff is second to none! Your access to the players your ability to be so close to the field. The ability to listen to the coaches and the players work and put together the product you long for every Sunday is quite an experience!

Not to mention the extreme beauty of Northern AZ. All of the wonderful bars and shops and the oldtime feeling that you get from being in Flag really just tops the whole trip off IMO!

If you can I hope that many of you Card fans would make your plans now and come see this truly spectacular setting that takes place every July and early August up in Flagstaff it is a trip that any true Card fan would think is well worth the cost and the memories last a lifetime!

It has been on my list for sometime now. I have to get over there. Maybe this is the year!!!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Solar7
I know this is a stupid question, but when is Training Camp this year?

--Solar
Its when ever they announce it... well thats if your lazy like me and dont wanna look it up... :thumbup:

pinnacle

Reaction score
do not have exact dates..but close enough for now..roughly from july 29th - aug 15th...skorp can give you exact dates when he checks in..

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm going this year. I have to!

Anyway, Shane H owes me a beer and $5.00. :p

Wait I don't remember whos owes beer???? Damn short term memory loss. Anyway I know he owes me cause I would never guarantee the Cards would pick a Cornerback with #6, I mean they didn't pick a CB all draft long.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
When I lived in Prescott (4 yrs ago) I went every year. I go now but end up staying with friends in Prescott. Not a bad trip from there and alot cooler then down here.
Plus, I'm sure with the addition of Emmitt , love him or hate him, it's going to be packed! I've found Tue afternoons are a good time to go, less people cuz they're actually WORKING! Unlike shlubs like me that get the mysterious "summer flu" that lasts 3 days, sometimes 5. One year it lasted over a week. Imagine that.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camp starts July 25. First practice July 26. Camp ends Aug 15 or 17, exact date escapes me.

We'll do a whole camp series in May, after the Cards are through with their mini-camp.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm flying in this year. I have never been to Cards training camp or any other. I am excited.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Making the Illinois to Colorado to Utah to Flagstaff trip.

This will be 7 years in a row for me and my family. We have a blast each year and this year we are flying into Colorado Springs and taking 3 days to get to Flagstaff (taking the Southern route through Colorado). The southern part of Colorado is absolutely gorgeous and not nearly as frequented as the more famous north part of the state. We plan to stay in Colorado Springs for a couple of days (Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods) and then head for Alamosa, Colorado (Great Sand Dunes, Zapata Falls, Blanca Peak-14325 ft.) and Cortez, Colorado (Mesa Verde, 4 Corners) before traveling down through the Navajo reservation to Flagstaff.

Flagstaff is absolutely gorgeous. I would move there tommorrow if my wife allowed it.

I have decided to wear a maroon colored shirt with "Holian" taped on the front and back so somebody on this board may recognize me at camp.

Reaction score
Not relative to anything...

I used to live in Thousand Oaks, California back when the Cowboys used to have training camp ther at Cal Lutheran University... But, I wouldn't even drive 15 minutes across town to see the Cowpaddies!!

During the same time the then LA Raiders held camp in Oxnard, Ca; where I worked. The Raiders camp was closed and had 8ft. fence with Black tarps covering all around the field.

Last edited:

TrentAZCards

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be back from NY with the recording bizz, I WANT TO GO TO THIS YEARS CAMP!!!

I am anxious for next year, I have extremely high hopes that wont be let down in the Sun Devils, and I am always optimistic about the Cardinals :) (ASU as well, but I can't wait for another NC run like in '96).

GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and GO PACE!!!

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
TC! TC! TC!

I can't wait.

Going back to the St Louis days, my brother (Holian) and I would stay with our grandmother in Mattoon, Illinois and drive down the road to Charleston to watch camp.

When the team moved to Arizona we were both lacking the means to get to out west for a couple of years, but eventually finished school and began those pilgrimages anew.

At first it was just my brother and his wife. But our group has expanded to include our parents, my nephew (going on his 3rd camp and is totally pumped about stalking Big Red again), and my wife.

I'm a Navy pilot and with everything that has been going on in the world we haven't seen each other since TC last season. Not even for Christmas!

The few days we spend in Flagstaff truly is the highlight of the summer. We'll be flying in on Thursday (the 31st?), attending camp Thursday and Friday, the scrimmage on Saturday, and at least 2 more practices before leaving the following Wednesday.

Look for a guy with a red camelback, a military-looking haircut and a 3 year-old crawling all over him.... and say "hello".

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I went last year with my wife and had a great time. Got to meet skkorp and his wife, Tyre Stud, and a cast of thousands. Got to say hi to Jim O because of Skkorp...he knows a lot of people, including Cardinal personnel. Mac gave Skkorp an autographed hat when they spoke together so you just never know who you will get to see.

The weather was great and I loved the smell of the trees; great setting to watch and dream of better things to come. You do get to meet many of the players, the only reason you can't meet them all is because you can't cover everyone by yourself. One thing I noticed about some of the fans is that they brought pictures of their favorite players along with them so that they could get them signed. Be sure to bring along a black felt, permanent marker. It also helps to bring along a lite-weight chair to sit on.

The only low-lite of the trip was that my wife, a Steeler fan, reminded me that the only reason they looked good running the ball at training camp was because they were running against the Cardinal defense. I may have to leave her home next time. :D

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Re: TC! TC! TC!

Originally posted by the Lieutenant
I can't wait.

Going back to the St Louis days, my brother (Holian) and I would stay with our grandmother in Mattoon, Illinois and drive down the road to Charleston to watch camp.

When the team moved to Arizona we were both lacking the means to get to out west for a couple of years, but eventually finished school and began those pilgrimages anew.

At first it was just my brother and his wife. But our group has expanded to include our parents, my nephew (going on his 3rd camp and is totally pumped about stalking Big Red again), and my wife.

I'm a Navy pilot and with everything that has been going on in the world we haven't seen each other since TC last season. Not even for Christmas!

The few days we spend in Flagstaff truly is the highlight of the summer. We'll be flying in on Thursday (the 31st?), attending camp Thursday and Friday, the scrimmage on Saturday, and at least 2 more practices before leaving the following Wednesday.

Look for a guy with a red camelback, a military-looking haircut and a 3 year-old crawling all over him.... and say "hello".

Keep up the good work!!

Navy pilots rock... well next to Marine pilots:D

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: TC! TC! TC!

Originally posted by the Lieutenant
I can't wait.

<p>Hey Lieutenant---I don't know how much involvement you had in Iraq or whether you were involved in it at all---it doesn't matter. I just want to thank you as one American to another and thank all the other fine young people in all the services who risk their lives on a daily basis for the good of their country. Being a little older than a lot of the other posters on this board, I've learned to appreciate and treasure the freedoms this great country of ours gives us and maybe appreciate them a little more because of past experiences. You make me proud to be an American and I know because of youngsters like yourself, this country will grow and prosper because of the leadership abilities of your generation. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you at training camp.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard