Trailblazers @ Suns 7PM FSN AZ

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
ESPN game preview

The Phoenix Suns know they'll have to check the scoreboard after their final regular-season game to determine their playoff positioning, and they know that they could end up facing any of three different opponents in four different locations.
But one thing is for certain -- if they don't beat the Portland Trail Blazers at home on Wednesday, they'll be hitting the road for Game 1 of the Western Conference quarterfinals.The Suns enter the final game of the regular season tied for fourth in the West with Houston and Northwest Division champion Utah at 54-27, with the trio one game behind San Antonio. The Jazz play at the Spurs, while Houston hosts the Los Angeles Clippers.Depending on the various possible outcomes, the Suns could finish anywhere from fourth to sixth in the West, and could face any of the other three teams in the first round.But for them to earn home court advantage, they'll need to win their ninth consecutive game against the Trail Blazers (41-40) and hope that either the Jazz beat the Spurs or the Clippers beat the Rockets."There's a lot of woulda, coulda, shoulda," Suns point guard Steve Nash said, "but overall with all things that have gone on this year, we've put ourselves in a good position. If we can win the last game, we could creep into the top four there. That would be nice, but either way I think our team is still getting better, and we can just keep improving throughout the playoffs."The Suns put themselves in that spot with a 122-116 win over Golden State on Monday, eliminating the Warriors from the playoff picture and winning their eighth home game in the last nine.Amare Stoudemire had 28 points despite being slowed by what he called a "severe cold" and Shaquille O'Neal added 19 points and 15 rebounds as the Suns blew a 17-point lead, but recovered to erase an 11-point deficit in the final seven minutes."I'm kind of glad it happened that way," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We looked pretty good at the end. We looked sharp, and that's the kind of stuff you need to get you going."Forward Grant Hill left Monday's game after tweaking a groin injury, and D'Antoni said after the game he'd likely rest Hill on Wednesday as a precaution.Without him, the Suns will try to sweep their second straight season series against Portland as the Blazers visit Phoenix for the first time this season. The Suns won twice in Portland last month, including a 111-98 victory on March 18, and they haven't lost to the Blazers at home since February 2004.Portland, which had a 13-game winning streak in December and exceeded expectations despite No. 1 overall draft pick Greg Oden missing the entire season, needs a win to secure its first winning season since 2002-03.The Blazers have now won three of their last four after beating Memphis 113-91 at home on Tuesday. Standout guard Brandon Roy had 16 points and 11 assists, and leads the team in both categories."We wanted to send the message to the fans that we've improved," Portland coach Nate McMillan said. "We've gotten better and the next step is to make the playoffs next year."They also beat Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers in Portland recently, but they're just 13-27 on the road and they haven't beaten a winning team away from home since December.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Forward Grant Hill left Monday's game after tweaking a groin injury, and D'Antoni said after the game he'd likely rest Hill on Wednesday as a precaution.

D'Antoni had better rest Grant Hill. Sheesh...whats it gonna take to clue this guy in on NBA coaching 101:Thinking ahead for the better of the team?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni had better rest Grant Hill. Sheesh...whats it gonna take to clue this guy in on NBA coaching 101:Thinking ahead for the better of the team?

D'Antoni has done a good job coaching this year. Especially after the trade.

That line is done in jest because you don't want other teams to know what players will be available or not. It happens all the time. That's why you hear the term all the time "gametime decision." Relax a little.

Besides, Grant Hill has already complained to D'Antoni about having to sit out. He doesn't want to.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D'Antoni has done a good job coaching this year. Especially after the trade.

That line is done in jest because you don't want other teams to know what players will be available or not. It happens all the time. That's why you hear the term all the time "gametime decision." Relax a little.

Besides, Grant Hill has already complained to D'Antoni about having to sit out. He doesn't want to.

He's done a better job after the trade i agree. I won't get into Mike D's poor foresight here.
As far as Hill wanting to play....of course he's gonna say that, but it's not up to G.Hill, at least it shouldn't be.
And don't tell me to relax! There's another thread in here that got my blood boiling so i'm still powering down;).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's done a better job after the trade i agree. I won't get into Mike D's poor foresight here.
As far as Hill wanting to play....of course he's gonna say that, but it's not up to G.Hill, at least it shouldn't be.
And don't tell me to relax! There's another thread in here that got my blood boiling so i'm still powering down;).

Stay out of the D'Antoni thread if you want to keep your sanity...... :)

nowagimp

Reaction score
And now for a comment about the game. Pryzbilla is out, the suns need to pound the ball inside to shaq even more, and work the offense off of him as they double. There should be alot of easy shots as they have no one(and maybe no 2 guys) who can body shaq down low. It should also help keep Nash from doing too much as his back is acting up again. Hill will likely see limited or(hopefully) no minutes, with Diaw or barbs to start. Diaw does a better job defending aldrige(or anyone else) than amare. Little known fact: Diaws defense is actually pretty good, hollinger has his defensive assignment(when Diaw is in the game) at a 12.6 PER this year. Yeah the PER isnt the end all be all, but guys who have a 12.6 are pretty unproductive.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets go suns beat the blazers :) and come on jazz and houston

Suns 125

Portland 114

Leading Scorer Amare 39 pts 8 boards has a good game heading into the playoffs :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amare won't play if there's no way for us to get homecourt, but he will play if there is still a chance.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish the Utah/Spurs game was at like 3 or 4, so we'd know if he needs to play or not.
So now it appears that the Houston/Clippers game will decide whether we have home court advantage in the first round or not. That game starts an hour and a half before the Suns game, so we will know whether we have anything to play for by half time. But the likelihood of the Clippers beating the Rockets is fairly low.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now it appears that the Houston/Clippers game will decide whether we have home court advantage in the first round or not. That game starts an hour and a half before the Suns game, so we will know whether we have anything to play for by half time. But the likelihood of the Clippers beating the Rockets is fairly low.

I don't think that's true....

They said if WE win and UTAH wins, then we have home court against Houston, no matter what they do.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Not as low at it was 3 days ago, alston(starting PG) is out with a hamstring injury.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Portland is going to come out fired up since Darius Miles was just cut! His teammates are going to come out and represent for him even though they probably never met him.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Portland is going to come out fired up since Darius Miles was just cut! His teammates are going to come out and represent for him even though they probably never met him.
:lol:
They may come out ready to play - but not for that reason. It is too bad though that Miles has to call it quits due to the knee. How is Portland able to clear that cap room? They can't, can they?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol:
They may come out ready to play - but not for that reason. It is too bad though that Miles has to call it quits due to the knee. How is Portland able to clear that cap room? They can't, can they?

Not for 2 years and a medical clearance. Those have been granted, but it is rare.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's true....

They said if WE win and UTAH wins, then we have home court against Houston, no matter what they do.

that's not true.

Correct. That is not true. We may have the 4th seed, but Houston will have HCA against us if we both win. I explained it in the other thread.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
My boss saw Amare and Shaq at the Jay-Z concert last night, didn't say anything about his health, why is Amare questionable for today?