Trading 2024 Pick One

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fear is that we are going to be so bad it's not going to be possible for Murray, or Tune, to prove anything. I hope I am wrong. But I don't see how we will be competitive.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My fear is that we are going to be so bad it's not going to be possible for Murray, or Tune, to prove anything. I hope I am wrong. But I don't see how we will be competitive.
What you’re looking for is not winning. No one will win regularly with this personnel. You’re looking at if they adapt to the offense, show good judgment and provide leadership. If Murray checks those boxes, he could stay. He has the ability if he has the desire and self discipline.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The thing is, we actually have some really nice talent on offense. I know its all gouche to poo all over the Cardinals but the team isnt as bad off as most make it seem.
our biggest question mark on offense is Center...and its not a hole, just a question mark. We have freehole, the rookie from ucla, and Lecy Smith who has been training for a year and a half.... we took a look at the guy cut from the skins... but dude was top 5 before he got hurt...so looking at him doesnt mean that what we already have sucks....just that they dont look to be top 5 caliber right now..... teams always look to add depth or upgrade.

we aint great at RB.. Conner is kinda meh, and that guy we drafted really kinda sucks for his measurables... but we got pass catchers out the yang.
our offense moved just as well last year with Hollywood and no Hop as it did with Hop and no Hollywood.....the style is different but they were equally effective. a group of Brown, Wilson, Dortch, Moore, Ertz,and McBride gives us a lot of pass catching ability and a lot of flexibility in speed and size. we have mismatches galore...the only thing we are really missing is a legit jump ball guy.

Defensively we are looking like a mess. we look to be really soft up the middle. but that can be hidden by scheme in many situations. we have a defensive HC so my guess is this is where he shows he can earn his spot. Planning around our weakness. I am expecting a lot of blitzes since we have a ton of mid or young pass rushers and an oversized safety that blitzes the A gap better than he does anything else. But generally a new staff has to install their system before they know which new parts they need.
The team is going to have to get turnovers to win games....
offensively we should be okay...I think we can play with anybody... but damn, that defense...definite need for a couple dawgs on the line...and for the young edge guys to really step up.

IMO, the big drop in our teams performance was not a talent issue. It was the divorce. Having the parents fighting all the time creates uncertainty and an aura of negativity all over the house... just like IRL the kids grades suffer,, on a football team the players performance suffers too... lack of concentration, no focus, cliques... its not an atmosphere conducive to winning.... so the judge cleared it all out and now we get to see what happens when Kyler has custody and a new partner in coach Gannon.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the TE position in NFL playoff quality. I think Johnson is going to be good. If he is, we have 4 potentially decent OL. But if we have injuries, which always happens, watch out... RB is not playoff quality. WRs? There is potential. I see defenses playing them physical and not worrying about over the top too much. Can they beat that coverage? Brown can, but can the others? At least Moore might be used in a rational way. His first two years were wasted and I don't put it all on him.

Defense? How will we stop the run? It's hard to imagine our defense getting significantly worse against the run but it has. CBs are atrocious. The rest is maybe passable.

If we are competitive at all, then these are fantastic coaches. For decades I have tended to the optimistic side until we prove we suck on the field. But, man, I just ain't seeing nothing but bad football at the moment.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm very worried we're going to be in a complicated position where Kyler's injury holds him back so much that we can't truly evaluate him, also tanking any chance that he's got any trade value with his contract being an albatross.

Or he does something like just show enough that it's tantalizing to think "okay in one more year with more strengthening he'll be back to form" and then we just find out he's never going to do so. I don't know that I want to be entering 2024 with a 27 year old "mobile" QB that has lost his mobility. Or is even more afraid of contact than he was.

Complicated situation. I feel like Houston will end up winning a few more games than expected, or we will... I think we'd be very lucky to have two top ten picks, I don't expect two top fives.

Like, on paper alone, I see the Texans with six pretty winnable games as long as Stroud plays ok (Colts 2x, us, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons), and then you have to assume they pick up an upset game or two because every pro team does. Not that I'm calling all of them wins, but I bet the Texans pick more like 5-7 than 1-3.

Even on paper for us, I see four winnable games and then assume an upset or two (Rams 2x, Houston, Falcons).

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm very worried we're going to be in a complicated position where Kyler's injury holds him back so much that we can't truly evaluate him, also tanking any chance that he's got any trade value with his contract being an albatross.

Or he does something like just show enough that it's tantalizing to think "okay in one more year with more strengthening he'll be back to form" and then we just find out he's never going to do so. I don't know that I want to be entering 2024 with a 27 year old "mobile" QB that has lost his mobility. Or is even more afraid of contact than he was.

Complicated situation. I feel like Houston will end up winning a few more games than expected, or we will... I think we'd be very lucky to have two top ten picks, I don't expect two top fives.

Like, on paper alone, I see the Texans with six pretty winnable games as long as Stroud plays ok (Colts 2x, us, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons), and then you have to assume they pick up an upset game or two because every pro team does. Not that I'm calling all of them wins, but I bet the Texans pick more like 5-7 than 1-3.

Even on paper for us, I see four winnable games and then assume an upset or two (Rams 2x, Houston, Falcons).
We're not beating Houston because I'll be in attendance. Oh wait @Buckybird is not going with us this year. We got a shot... :biglaugh:

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing Murray is fully engaged, goes to work everyday, first one in and the last one to leave, rehabbing, studying, what makes people think he's going to sit out the season? It looks to me like he's shooting for game 5.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFN has a new theory on the draft. Let’s assume for a minute that Murray fulfills his potential in 2024 and proves he can be a starting NFL QB. Now imagine how much more powerful the Cards’ position could be. If they miraculously end up with the top two picks or at least one of them, they could trade the top one for another huge haul of picks. Now the fun begins. They could still get Harrison with pick two or three, plus get a top ten round one to use on a RT, CB or DT. They could also get more depth picks and an extra top 2025 pick. If they can’t build a team with all that fire power, they never will.

So, when you look to 2024 there’s still ample reason for the Cards to help Murray succeed.

I have been saying this for six months.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson