Trading 2024 Pick One

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
PFN has a new theory on the draft. Let’s assume for a minute that Murray fulfills his potential in 2024 and proves he can be a starting NFL QB. Now imagine how much more powerful the Cards’ position could be. If they miraculously end up with the top two picks or at least one of them, they could trade the top one for another huge haul of picks. Now the fun begins. They could still get Harrison with pick two or three, plus get a top ten round one to use on a RT, CB or DT. They could also get more depth picks and an extra top 2025 pick. If they can’t build a team with all that fire power, they never will.

So, when you look to 2024 there’s still ample reason for the Cards to help Murray succeed.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ll be curious to see if it was the system or Murray who sucked. It will be wild to see what he can/can’t do when actually rolling him out and utilizing under center. If teams could not figure out a much slower, much more inaccurate Hurts.. what can Kyler do? Or is he simply to small physically and mentally despite better physical tools/skills.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
PFN has a new theory on the draft. Let’s assume for a minute that Murray fulfills his potential in 2024 and proves he can be a starting NFL QB. Now imagine how much more powerful the Cards’ position could be. If they miraculously end up with the top two picks or at least one of them, they could trade the top one for another huge haul of picks. Now the fun begins. They could still get Harrison with pick two or three, plus get a top ten round one to use on a RT, CB or DT. They could also get more depth picks and an extra top 2025 pick. If they can’t build a team with all that fire power, they never will.

So, when you look to 2024 there’s still ample reason for the Cards to help Murray succeed.

This is why I've been saying all along, the best thing for the Cards is for Murray to be the QB he's capable of being and use all of those picks to build around him, instead of starting over at QB. It will make a much faster rebound if this happens.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I’ll be curious to see if it was the system or Murray who sucked.
definitively one reason to watch in 2023 (or at least, the latter half of it)

what Harry describes is the best case scenario: 2023 shows its clear Kyler is the guy, the Texans are terrible again, and, the Cards lose a bunch of shootouts because their D cant stop anyone

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
AND we have a whole college system to see what we think of the QB class. IF it is what some have predicted, of course we want Kyler to look great, but I would pass on the next haul and settle for the next Luck, Allen, or even Herbert.

I will always think of KM as being a major injury away from being disposed of anywhere down the line. If that is next year, then so be it.

Now, what will #1 bring us again this coming year? Why not consider this "haul" concept on a permanent basis. Get a haul each year from a team so bad it is likely to produce another #1 pick again the following year. Just keep doing this year after year.

Ah, who am I kidding. I will be more dead in 2 weeks than Wil Smith's movie career.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s simple. If one of the two big QB prospects lives up to the hype next year and we have the #1 pick you have to trade Kyler (in this hypothetical of him rebounding from the injury) get his salary off the books and restart the QB rookie scale. If one of the QB prospects doesn’t “pop” and Kyler looks great then that’s fine too. Keep him and trade the pick or build around him. Kyler not bouncing back and Williams/Maye regressing is the only scenario to possibly fear.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler not bouncing back and Williams/Maye regressing is the only scenario to possibly fear.
In this case you could draft Williams/Maye and keep both and Trade/Cut K1 in the 25 season. I know it's not ideal but you could do it. Trade the next pick or not.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It’s simple. If one of the two big QB prospects lives up to the hype next year and we have the #1 pick you have to trade Kyler (in this hypothetical of him rebounding from the injury) get his salary off the books and restart the QB rookie scale. If one of the QB prospects doesn’t “pop” and Kyler looks great then that’s fine too. Keep him and trade the pick or build around him. Kyler not bouncing back and Williams/Maye regressing is the only scenario to possibly fear.
The scariest would be trading away an opportunity for Marvin Jr as well as passing on the QBs.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Kyler Murray....

Everything hinges on if Kyler Murray...

If Kyler Murray plays like a starting QB in 2023 then it's off to the races. It allows us to strive for mediocrity in 2024 instead of starting over with yet another QB. It would justify some quality free agent signings.

If Kyler Murray does not perform to his desired capabilities the rebuild could probably be extended another year. We'd likely draft another QB along with a top shelf blue chip WR or defensive phenom or whoever we can get with a top 10 pick

If Kyler Murray doesn't pan out this year - we will be the Houston Texans next year

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't see that happening unless neither of our picks are in the top 3.
If the Cardinals are 1 or 2, they decide they are moving forward with Kyler, both QB prospects continue on their trajectory, and trading to 3 is not an option, then we miss MHJ to trade back.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If the Cardinals are 1 or 2, they decide they are moving forward with Kyler, both QB prospects continue on their trajectory, and trading to 3 is not an option, then we miss MHJ to trade back.
If MHJ is your guy, you don't worry about where you take him, if he's available. Simple as that. In your scenario...no trade down partner? Fine, draft him 1 or 2, then.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see that happening.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Or on the flip side Kyler plays well enough that ARZ gets trade offers of multi first round picks and they sell high and get off the contract before Murray gets injured again.

More likely, Murray is going to miss at least the first 6 games of season and without weapons and a reliable OL, he is not going to put up big numbers or get hurt again and ARZ's interest in Caleb Williams will skyrocket.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2024 and possibly not the Cards. Maybe Tune ends up being a big smash hit as a Card.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You could name maybe a handful of receivers worth #1 but at the time they weren't.

Keyshawn Johnson had an argument when he came out and he was never worth it.
We're talking foresight and hindsight, though. To say there never has been and never will be a WR worth the #1 pick is 100 percent incorrect. To say you know a guy will be worth the number one pick would be just as incorrect. I agree in general that it's a bad idea to draft WRs overall.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard