Trade talk by Gammons

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peter Gammons just said on Baseball Tonight the Diamondbacks are talking with Texas about trading for Juan Gonzalez. He said the Diamondbacks would trade two players for him.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Peter Gammons just said on Baseball Tonight the Diamondbacks are talking with Texas about trading for Juan Gonzalez. He said the Diamondbacks would trade two players for him.

Who was Montreal going to trade. That may give us an idea of position in the deal.

BTW I dislike this trade very much. Not a big Juan fan.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a major Detroit Tiger's fan and couldnt tolerate Juan Gonzalez during his 1-yr stint w/them in 2000.... He rejected a 7 yr-$142 contract, however, he claimed that he would remain in Detroit regardless...He constantly would sit out due to minor injuries... He's a major clubhouse cancer and I hope they dont go that route... I generally dismiss most of what Gammons says anyways....

I guess the Dbacks would offer the Rangers Mantei (since Urbina might be traded) and perhaps Bautista to replace Juan...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, I hope this trade does not happen. You got to remember who the source is.

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
The expos were going to trade two prospects, not great one either. Apparently our deal is supposed to be better, but still not top tier prospects. I dont want to make this trade, and i would rather rely on Hammock for the year and just let our young guys come up and continue to perform.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
D-Back’s do not really need to upset the chemistry at this point.
But, Juan Gonzales has been a force in the past. MVP a couple times in the AL! Purportedly, a thumb injury is the reason his HR % has gone down.
Question is what two players are the D-Backs putting on the table. Hopefully, not any of the rookies we’ve been looking at for the last month.
If he has an attitude, it does not seem to be a logical trade. But, if he’s injury free and wants to come here, he could well be a force to help out down the stretch.
I’m on the fence right now.
Another thing to think about: it might be too confusing to have two Gonzos on the team!

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also, another part of the deal would require Juan not to seek a long term deal from the D'backs....so I guess they just want to rent him and push for the WS

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I guess one of the rumored prospects might be Edgar Gonzalez. This would not be a good trade in my opinion. There are only rare circumstances when you should trade a 20 year old that is doing well in AAA and has already shown he has the poise in to pitch in the majors. I have one question, Gammons said we would be giving up better prospects the Montreal, why is that? Everytime we decide to make a trade do other GMs know they can take advantage of us? If MOntreal was going to give up fringe prospects, we should not make a better offer then them.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
It's all just scuttle butt right now. If this team trades a 20 year old pitching prospect with the promise of Edgar Gonzalez, for a 3 month rent a player, they need their head examined. No way in hell do I do that deal. Are you listening Jerry and Joe?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would give up Patterson but not Gonzalez. Maybe even Good but it would have to be for a guy like Shannon Stewart.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
I would give up Patterson but not Gonzalez. Maybe even Good but it would have to be for a guy like Shannon Stewart.

Like I posted on the ESPN board. We need another no power hitting outfielder like we need a second azzhole.