Top 5 movies since 2000

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a great memory, I just don't know where I put it. No, seriously, I was really disappointed with a lot of the movies earlier in that decade. If you had asked for top 5 movies from 1995 to 2010, my list would not have been as weighted towards the more recent films.

Steve

2001 alone had a lot of great films:

Fellowship
Memento
Royal Tenenbaums
Black Hawk Down
Moulin Rouge!
Ocean's Eleven
Devil's Backbone
Monsters, Inc.

Which of those was disappointing?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score

Fellowship
Memento
Royal Tenenbaums
Black Hawk Down
Moulin Rouge!
Ocean's Eleven
Devil's Backbone
Monsters, Inc.

If there was a musical to make my list it would be Moulin Rouge

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fellowship
Memento
Royal Tenenbaums
Black Hawk Down
Moulin Rouge!
Ocean's Eleven
Devil's Backbone
Monsters, Inc.

I don't like shaky cameras so scratch Black Hawk Down. I liked Moulin Rouge and Memento although neither are really my type of movie. I forgot about Ocean's Eleven, it's one of my favorites and should have been on my list. I thought Monsters, Inc was watchable but way overrated and Fellowship slightly overrated and I've not seen Devil's Backbone. I'm a sucker for the Hollywood blockbuster but I've never been fond of comic book movies (with a few exceptions). Hollywood went nuts on the comic adaptation blockbusters for awhile there.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dark Knight
Return Of The King
The Social Network
Finding Nemo
Shaun Of The Dead

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dark Knight
Return Of The King
The Social Network
Finding Nemo
Shaun Of The Dead

Shaun of the Dead almost made my list but then I remembered how much I liked Paul and Hot Fuzz and wasn't willing to choose between the three.

Steve

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most annoying movie of the decade.

Funny story. Wife and I bought some new movies at Walmart. One was The Mummy Returns. We get it home, open it up, pop it in, and it's the Royal Tannenbaums. Everything about it was The Mummy Returns but the movie on the disk wasn't the mummy.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Funny story. Wife and I bought some new movies at Walmart. One was The Mummy Returns. We get it home, open it up, pop it in, and it's the Royal Tannenbaums. Everything about it was The Mummy Returns but the movie on the disk wasn't the mummy.

When asked for a response, a Walmart spokesman said, "You're Welcome."

:D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always hate it when that happens. My wife liked 70's music so in the early 90's I bought her a 10 disk collection. One of the years, although labeled as 1977 was actually an old Everly Brothers album. It was probably 6 months later before she got around to that year, far too late to return it. She's still ticked about it.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You weren't going to be happy, either way!

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dark Knight
Memento
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Inception

Can't think of a #5 right now.

All of those movies blew me away the first time that I'd seen them.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if this list allows for the year 2000 or if they have to come after 2000, because there were a lot of great movies in 2000. If it does include that year, can't believe no one's mentioned O Brother, Where Art Though yet. Even if you didnt' follow it, the movie has a visceral hypnotic appeal with its over-saturated colors and stingy discipline to linguistic quirks of the era.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen The Lives of Others and A Separation. Please do.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, I didn't think Skyfall was all that good but that's just me.

I'm with you, though I'm routinely disappointed with Bond films. I should probably just stop watching them.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like shaky cameras so scratch Black Hawk Down.

Steve

I wouldn't classify Black Hawk as shakey camera at all. Shot straight up, imo. I do remember coming out of the theater shaking myself though the first time I saw it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't classify Black Hawk as shakey camera at all. Shot straight up, imo. I do remember coming out of the theater shaking myself though the first time I saw it.

I know it was hard on my eyes but maybe it was for a different reason than shaky camera.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

That's awesome, Royal Tannenbaums is about a million times better than that mummy movie.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man on Fire