Too Many Picks?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I know some people view the draft as a lottery. However, I believe the Cards are entering the area of diminishing returns. You can only simultaneously evaluate so many prospects at one time even with many at differing positions. The current roster already includes many prospects in the process of being evaluated. Also not all prospects develop at the same rate. Patience is often required. The Cards need to slow these acquisitions unless some high picks are offered.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know some people view the draft as a lottery. However, I believe the Cards are entering the area of diminishing returns. You can only simultaneously evaluate so many prospects at one time even with many at differing positions. The current roster already includes many prospects in the process of being evaluated. Also not all prospects develop at the same rate. Patience is often required. The Cards need to slow these acquisitions unless some high picks are offered.
I understand limited resources for scouting and such...however, I don't think you can really have too many picks, because it opens up more maneuverability within the draft and future drafts. You have capital to move up and get more of the guys you target, instead of hoping they fall to you.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are looking at Suns style lows between 2010 and 2020 for Cardinals for the foreseeable future.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you really think Monti is going to sit there and just draft 11 players next April? He is the GM that can’t make just one trade a day, he needs 3 at least to get himself going. Those are assets, not picks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think it's been bandied about on here, that for the most part, the scouts are doing their jobs...they just got overruled a lot by Keim. That's what I recall reading on here.
i think Monti talked about a total revamp there this year

if you look at the people who were under Keim in scouting: nearly all had spent their entire careers with the Cardinals

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
i think Monti talked about a total revamp there this year

if you look at the people who were under Keim in scouting: nearly all had spent their entire careers with the Cardinals
I used the Way Back Machine (my favorite internet tool) to screenshot the 2022 Cards Player Personell, so we can compare...

Here's 2022:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's Current/2023:

You must be registered for see images attach

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
poor attempt at getting rehired

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No I don't think so. The "extra" picks give you options in moving up. Which Monti has shown a willingness to do already.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They need all the ammo to get to #1 next year if they are at #3 or #4.

Kyler can start packing bags now.
Young went #1 this year, and he's playing okay, but hasn't shown me that he'll be better than Kyler. I don't know how the QB's in next year's draft will do, not counting the hype for Williams. I'm waiting to see how KM plays when he comes back from the PUP. Until he's on the field, we're just guessing/hoping.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We got 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

We should package all thos picks after that and see if we can get another 2nd.

7 players out of the top 100 would do this team a lot of good

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson