TJ Warren's transformation

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We often talk about players improving their three point shooting, but it seems that few actually make the change significantly. It looks like TJ has done so. There is a timeline of factors that seem to have led to the change.

1. Josh Jackson's game improved during the last half of the season last year.
2. Press and fans started talking about TJ coming off the bench in the future, even though TJ had a good year.
3. TJ is asked on locker cleanout day about coming off the bench next year. It is a very awkward situation.
4. Igor is named head coach and Igor shows up at the press conference seemingly to talk to the new coach. This might have been the turning point moment.
You must be registered for see images attach

5. He gets to work over the summer.
6. When he comes back, he is demoted from starter to 6th man.
7. He puts his head down and plays--he shows everyone he now has a three point shot.
8. He is now starting at pf.

TJ is approaching his career as a true pro. He is taking the game and his own personal development seriously. He always was a good shooter. That provided a foundation for him to expand his range to the three point line.

His transformation is a huge boon for the Suns.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It has been a very welcome surprise in a year of pretty overwhelming disappointment. If he keeps playing for the remainder of this season like he has over the past 4-5 games than we need to hang on to him for the long run. Pretty much anyone outside of Booker, Ayton, Warren, Bridges and JJ I am very open to trading if it nets us a solid point guard (I would consider trading JJ, but only for a long term good PG option).

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly increases our tradeable assets. The hype regarding Zion is huge right now and it is not confined to this board. We have some very big tradeable assets.

1. 2019 first rounder.
2. Warren is gaining value every day. We may certainly want to keep him but if we do, JJ is moveable.
3. Jackson.

We also have some other interesting assets.

1. Ariza's expiring.
2. Bender's expiring.
3. Milwaukee pick, not nearly as valuable as it once was, but has a little value.
4. Okobo and Melton.

I would not mind trading an expiring if it accomplishes the same purpose the free cap space would in free agency--get us a player that is a long term solution at a position of need.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its funny because I watched him shoot around for hours at the gym i go to with Tyson and Mike Bibby and he must have missed 30 straight 3s, this was like maybe a month before the season...

But yeah nothing but respect for TJ. Easily the second best player on this team right now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ultimate empty stats guy coming into the season in my opinion but man he's put in the work. His all around game has gone to a different level

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ultimate empty stats guy coming into the season in my opinion but man he's put in the work. His all around game has gone to a different level

I understand the empty stat label but I don't think TJ's been that guy. Last year up the Suns were 7-0 in games where he scored 25 or more, that lasted through October, November, and December. They started tanking more in the new year and TJ and Booker missed some more games but they were 9-4 when TJ scored 25 or more. So I don't think his stats have been that empty. When he scores they win because Booker will get his, one way or the other, but they need a 2nd scorer to really step up. TJ was that guy last year and he's doing that this year also but the Suns actually have a few more people who can score, unlike last year, so his scoring isn't needed quite as much as it was but it definitely helps.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Warren put up stats in last night's win (you know, San Antonio) didn't he? Guy has improved. We should calm down and stick with 3J Warren, Jackson, Booker, Ayton, Bridges. Let them get a chance before we redo the roster again. If we get a great offer then we can talk. Right now I wouldn't call the other GMs (or bron). Jackson is just a kid. He has fire, he listens (it's happened), allright so he worked on his ballhandling and went to Europe instead of (or in addition to) work on his shot. Maybe next summer he'll take a tip from Warren and work on the driving range (long ball). Go Suns. Show us something tonight vs the Thunder.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren put up stats in last night's win (you know, San Antonio) didn't he? Guy has improved. We should calm down and stick with 3J Warren, Jackson, Booker, Ayton, Bridges. Let them get a chance before we redo the roster again. If we get a great offer then we can talk. Right now I wouldn't call the other GMs (or bron). Jackson is just a kid. He has fire, he listens (it's happened), allright so he worked on his ballhandling and went to Europe instead of (or in addition to) work on his shot. Maybe next summer he'll take a tip from Warren and work on the driving range (long ball). Go Suns. Show us something tonight vs the Thunder.
I think this is where we all are. The nice thing is that Warren has more value now. Of course, having more value means we are more inclined to keep him ourselves. What I have is a lot of respect for Warren. He has behaved like a pro. He has put the work in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson