Tidbits from CBS's rapid reports

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cards RB LaRod Stephens-Howling, a seventh-round pick, was elated to make the roster but says his pass-blocking on the edge is where he still needs the most work. He also said he needs to "finish" kick and punt returns.

Cards C Ben Claxton earned the second-string role over Melvin Fowler (released) mainly because of his physical play and ability to move people, Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt said that RT Levi Brown will be the first backup to Mike Gandy at LT now that Oliver Ross has been released. In that case, Herman Johnson or Brandon Keith would slide into the right slot.

Cards S Adrian Wilson said the defense only used about 20 percent of the plays in the preseason that it'll use in the regular season. That was a factor in the team's poor performance against the Packers, he said. "We sometimes had guys on an island in positions where they won't normally be. Let the preseason be the preseason. The preseason is a mirage."

Some notes for those interested. I thought they were interesting.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Since they play the Packers again this season there is no need to show our entire set of plays and let them have tape on it. Just another reason the pre-season is worthless.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards S Adrian Wilson said the defense only used about 20 percent of the plays in the preseason that it'll use in the regular season, and of those 20 percent.. only 2 percent were run effectively.

:D

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt said that RT Levi Brown will be the first backup to Mike Gandy at LT now that Oliver Ross has been released. In that case, Herman Johnson or Brandon Keith would slide into the right slot.
I don't understand this... why have two OL positions affected by an injury? Why not have Johnson practice for left tackle and Keith for right along with right guard?

Is it because of protecting Kurt's blind side with a vetern?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't understand this... why have two OL positions affected by an injury? Why not have Johnson practice for left tackle and Keith for right along with right guard?

Is it because of protecting Kurt's blind side with a vetern?

I just think its the Cards long term plan to have Levi move permanently to LT and to protect Leinart's blind side with Big Baby. So that's the backup plan for now as well.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since they play the Packers again this season there is no need to show our entire set of plays and let them have tape on it. Just another reason the pre-season is worthless.

Since the Pack will have like, 15 games of tape on the Cards before they play them, I don't see how hiding a few formations in a preseason game would make much of a difference.

It is highly probable the coaches were just looking at certain players and used the calls that would help them best evalute.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Since the Pack will have like, 15 games of tape on the Cards before they play them, I don't see how hiding a few formations in a preseason game would make much of a difference.

It is highly probable the coaches were just looking at certain players and used the calls that would help them best evalute.

Game planning for the Packers is not the same as game planning for those other 15 teams. I think a significant reason is that Whis doesn't want to give the Niners any tape at all. He's got some new stuff to unleash on them Sunday.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
AZ-Duckjake is right. The Cardinals seem to be preparing to move Levi over to the LT position next season when Gandy leaves via free agency. This would open up the RT position to Herman Johnson, whom the Cardinals like enough to have backup Levi Brown. Now, this might be due to a lack of depth at the tackle position, but I prefer to see it as a long term plan for Herman Johnson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard